Foreign Transaction Fee w/ Credit Card Payment

greytstuff

:) Saturday, 9/12, a credit on my MC for the ammount of the "Transaction Fee" showed up. Regent did as they said they would and also informed me that they are very much aware of the problems these fees are causing. They hope to have a banking/credit card solution next year.I cannot imagine Regent refunding 3% of cruise fares over and over again.....Plus shipboard account settlements.

Thanks, AWED, for posting this. Good to hear that Regent is still coming thru

with their commitment to refund these transaction fees. Also glad to hear

that they are going to do something about it, hopefully in the near future. I

do think there are people out there who have been charged and have ended up

paying the fees unknowingly. Another reason to read CC diligently.

All Regent has to do to fix this problem is to run the charge in the USA instead of having the Irish bank run the charge. They have to do this for AMEX, which is why there isn't a foreign transaction fee. It is Regent's choice to not do this for Visa/MC. They deserve a lot of grief over this decision.

• 3 weeks later...
No, they wouldn't reimburse me, nor should they. When I am making a purchase from an "Amerian" company be charged in US dollars, I think my expectations are that the transaction will be processed in the US. I do not know of any other company I have ever dealt with that I have this problem with. Perhaps you are familiar with some.

j

I happen to agree with you 100%. Also, a good TA should be heads up and advise you when making a deposit. It would be a feather in their cap.

charge these fees. I got an extra one to use for Regent and also for my purchases out of the country, i.e. I buy my shoes in England and other items. If you can get a Capital One it will save you a lot of money

That is a really good tip. However, if you are charged the fees on Regent, your TA will work with Regent to have these chages reimbursed to you. Still, for people who regularly charge items outside of the U.S., Capital One sounds like a good option.:D

Another choice for AMEX is Starwood. Their points are usually worth more than the 2% Costco rebate. Case in point - using Starwood points I got a $3700 KLM business class ticket to our next cruise for 100000 points. That is equivalent to a 3.7% return.

For those times when AmEx is not accepted, Schwab Bank is a good alternative for traveling. While the accounts are tied to a Schwab brokerage account, there is no requirement to actually keep any money in the brokerage account or purchase any stock through it. I have a Schwab Hi Yield Savings account and a Hi Yield Checking account, both with debit cards that refund all ATM fees (even internationally), and a Schwab Gold Visa card that charges no foreign transaction fees and returns 2%.

While the Hi Yield accounts no longer are as high yielding as they once were, they are pretty good in the current line up interest rates -- 1.05% APY for the savings account.

There are no fees or minimums. I have no personal interest in Schwab; I learned about it on CC and am just passing it on.

All Regent has to do to fix this problem is to run the charge in the USA instead of having the Irish bank run the charge. They have to do this for AMEX, which is why there isn't a foreign transaction fee. It is Regent's choice to not do this for Visa/MC. They deserve a lot of grief over this decision.

I completely agree. While I am sure Regent doesn't wish to change their banking arrangements, frankly neither do we. Thus far we are still settling the 3% charge on our deposit, but I don't really feel we should have to change our credit card to avoid the whole hassle when the full bill is paid. This is our first cruise with Regent, and frankly it isn't a very good first impression. The first dozen cruises may not have been luxury, but this is the kind of experience we hoped to avoid by going upscale for our first European cruise. (And we never experienced this on Celebrity or Princess.)

Traveler333, concur, in general, starwood AMX (first year free, thereafter $45 annual fee) is you the best all around credit card, with the exception of european travel where you will get docked a 2.7% foreign transaction fee (The fee that you will get assessed on the purchases that you make while traveling outside the U.S. OR while purchasing items over the internet from merchants that are located outside the U.S). Therefore, for our european travel we have the Captital One Visa whch as many posters in this thread have posted, does not charge a foreign transaction fee.

Also, for cruise benefits ($300 SBC) and access to the Delta's, Continental's NW lounges

we own the AMX-Platinum but at $450 annual fee. FYI, another AMX card to consider

for Regent/NCL cruise benefits is the AMX bluesky card (no annual fee) and when used to pay

for Regent cruises you will get a $250 SBC.

Finally, own about 6-12 AMX and or Delta skymiles cards ONLY to get the skymiles

bonus (ranges from 5K to 25K) per card after first purchase or by purchasing $1000 in the first three months. Have earned over 200,000 skymiles (along with Starwood AMX bonus miles from transering 20K starwood points to Delta skymiles) churning AMX/Delta cards this way--paid for two r/t tickets to Munich this year, one way tickets to Funchal last year and in six days, two r/t tickets to Milan.

Otherwise, (when not using an AMX/Delta card just to get skymiles) every credit purchase is with our most versitile card, Starwood AMX which

gives you a 5000 starwood points bonus when you transfer 20,000 points to your frequent mile account.

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to continue this thread and warn everyone that we just booked our first cruise with Regent and had a 3% Foreign Transaction Fee hit our Citi card for the deposit. Since Regent is doing the same as Oceania -- using a bank in Ireland, the credit card company sees it as a "foreign purchase". I will be calling my credit card company and Regent tomorrow. I will certainly call ALL my other credit card companies before I give Regent another dollar!!!

Sheila

Last week I faxed to Regent a copy of my current Citicard Visa statement requesting a refund of the foreign transaction fee on my final payment for my upcoming March cruise. In the past, they have always been good about refunding the fee -- in the form of a check drawn on Bank of America in Miami. I think there is little doubt that Regent and Citi have an agreement as to how to split the gains from cardholders who unwittingly pay the fees and from those who ask for a refund. Regent agents virtually admit this although I think company policy is to feign outrage at the evil banks.

I use an AMEX Platinum (Delta FF miles) card for my cruises and my curiosity was piqued when a ship-board credit was mentioned. Should I be getting a SB credit when I use AMEX? I am making final payment on my next Regent cruise tomorrow. If I am due a credit, how do I go about claiming it?

rpjsaj, you qualify for the AMX-Platinum card cruise benefits with the AMX-P card issued

by AMX for an annual fee of $450. Pls see this link taken today from AMX site concerning the AMX Cruise Priviledges program:

https://www.iplatinum.americanexpress.com/prospect/canada/english/FrontServlet?request_type=BoardLuxuryLiner

Host Dan posted this informative statement on a Seabourn AMX Platinum card thread last year:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To add, you can use any amex card as long as you OWN a platinum card. (regular or business, not miles or hotel perk platinum etc) Cruiseyguy is correct, most of the time it cannot be combined with a TA credit such as a virtuoso creidt. You need to choose which is a better deal for you.

Host Dan

hostdan@cruisecritic.com

I use an AMEX Platinum (Delta FF miles) card for my cruises and my curiosity was piqued when a ship-board credit was mentioned. Should I be getting a SB credit when I use AMEX? I am making final payment on my next Regent cruise tomorrow. If I am due a credit, how do I go about claiming it?

Were you charged a foreign transaction fee by your credit card company? If so, the amount of the fee may be given to you in the form of a check or shipboard credit. If you were not charged a fee, you should not expect any credit. The fee is charged by the bank that issues the credit card, none of it goes to Regent or to the bank in Ireland. If you were charged a fee, Regent gives you the amount out of the goodness of their hearts. Generally, AmEx cards do not assess the fee.

Just wanted to continue this thread and warn everyone that we just booked our first cruise with Regent and had a 3% Foreign Transaction Fee hit our Citi card for the deposit. Since Regent is doing the same as Oceania -- using a bank in Ireland, the credit card company sees it as a "foreign purchase". I will be calling my credit card company and Regent tomorrow. I will certainly call ALL my other credit card companies before I give Regent another dollar!!!

Sheila

Regent will refund it.

Don't believe a Amex Platinum Delta FF card qualifies for the OBC, Club entries or some other pure Platinum amenities. You must have the plain Platinum Card to get all the freebies although the Amex Rewards which comes free with the Amex Platinum is in my opinion much, much better than a card getting miles on only one airline like the Amex Platinum Delta FF as Rewards points are transferrable to many US and International carriers and you can hold them in your Rewards Account for use on many airlines, gift cards, hotels, purchases, etc. and transfer them only when necessary while I believe the cards linked to a specific airline automatically go to the airline FF points fund immediately.

For instance booking on Continental for a Regent cruise this fall, when I booked my free tickets, it was a simple transfer from American Express Rewards on the Continental web site to Continental and the miles were immediately there.

Using this method, I will be flying on Continental, United and Them (US) air for various segments and most of the miles came from Membership Rewards.

Another reason to avoid the Delta FF card is that Delta is absolutely one of the worse airlines in existence and I certainly won't be linked to an airline that doesn't care about it's passengers, flies dirty planes and is an all around pain in the a,. to be around.

I have a Merrill Lynch + Visa Card and an AMEX Platinum (no fee for me), both controlled by BofA and I've never been charged a foreign transaction fee for a Regent Cruise. The 'normal' charge is 2% for the ML Visa and 1% for BofA issued AMEX and it is clearly marked on the statement when it is charged on foreign purchases. The platinum shipboard credit only comes from a card directly issued by AMEX...I didn't get it...

....... I think there is little doubt that Regent and Citi have an agreement as to how to split the gains from cardholders who unwittingly pay the fees and from those who ask for a refund. Regent agents virtually admit this although I think company policy is to feign outrage at the evil banks.

Tombo,

I don't think that Regent gets any money (kickback) from Citibank as almost all MasterCard and Visa cards charge the same 2-3% fee. There are a few exceptions as noted earlier in the thread.

I think the real reason that Regent/Oceania uses the bank in Ireland is that they probably get an unusually good discount rate. And in the long run Regent make more money on the rate than the few refunds. Over the many millions of dollars charged a discount fee savings of even a few basis point will add up.

BTW, I curious if Oceania will refund the fee?

J

...BTW, I curious if Oceania will refund the fee?

The reports I have read all say they issue a shipboard credit for the amount. One must provide them a copy of the credit card statement (with all personal information and other charges redacted). I use an AmEx World Points card issued by B of A and have never been charged the fee.

Archived