Does The Veendam Have A Live Show Band And Other Question's........

Suesan Jean

Last year my DH and I were on the Noordam and LOVED IT......!!! sFun_cheerleader.gif

Now I am thinking of cruising on the Veendam next Summer to Bermuda and I have a few questions. (I do have a cruise booked on the Norwegian Dawn to Bermuda, but, Saint Georges is "calling" me........;))

1. Does the Veendam have a live show band? On the Noordam last year, there was not. All the music during the shows was "canned".

2. I am thinking of getting an "S" Suite because we will be travelling with our teenage DD and we will need the extra room. Besides the Neptune Lounge, what are the other "perks" to a Suite? I read somewhere that you can have Lunch in the Pinnacle, but I am not sure if that is true.

3. For any of you who have cruised on the Veendam, after it's dry dock, can you tell me ALL about the ship. I would like to know about the Library, the Culinary Center, game rooms, etc...... Please.....

4. Does the Veendam have the open, Anytime Dining, As You Wish, whatever Holland America calls it? (Like NCL's "Freestyle". The Noordam had it last year and we LOVED IT.....!!!

I would TRULY APPRECIATE any and all thoughts, opinions, suggestions and stories......... :D :D

THANK YOU.......!!! icon14.gif :)

On ll the ships that we have been on recently -- the music for the productions is "canned".

You can have breakfast in the Pinnacle -- same menu as the main dining room. The times are the same as the main dining room -- check your daily program.

All PS, SA, SB and SC categories and PS and S:

Separate check-in line at embarkation

Personalized stationary

Use of the Neptune Lounge and the concierges

Boutonniere and corsage for the first formal night

Free laundry, free pressing, free dry cleaning

Priority temdering

Priority disembarkation

Free use of binoculars

Free use of a large umbrella

MAYBE a private suite cocktail party in the Neptune Lounge (we did not have one on our Westerdam 19 day or 7 day cruises this past spring)

MAYBE an invitation to a VIP party

Maybe a suite buffet or sit down lunch -- depends on itinerary and HM

Free bottle of champagne compliments of the HM and captain

Free use of DVD’s

Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill (follow the main dining room hours)

*Feather pillow upon request

*High tea service and hors d'oeuvres delivered to your suite upon request (Kindly place your order before 12 NN through your Neptune Lounge concierge)

Continental Breakfast in the Neptune Lounge is from 7 AM - 11 AM on port days and 7:30 - 11 AM on sea days. There are cereals, rolls, pastries, cold meats, cheeses, typical continental breakfast.

At 11 - 2 or 3 -- small tea sandwiches, cookies, chocolates, desserts.

from 3 - 5 -- more tea sandwiches, pound cake, cookies, chocolates, etc.

From 5 - 8:30 (when Neptune Lounge closes) -- cold appetizers and crudites.

ALL FREE.

The concierges can also make appointments for you for dinner at the specialty restaurant, make spa appointments, make change for you -- book shore excursions.

THANK YOU......!!! icon14.gif

It is going to be a tough decision, "The Dawn" or "The Veendam".......:confused:

If it was just us, I would pick the Veendam, but, since we will have our DD with us, I am not so sure.......

My DD LOVED, LOVED, LOVED ALL the shows on the Dawn last month. NCL TRULY SHINES in the entertainment department...!!! sHa_thumbsup.gif

I was just TRULY IMPRESSED with the quality of the ALL the musicians, dancers and singers.....!!! I have found that to be true on ALL the NCL ships I have been on. sHa_thumbsup2.gif

That was the one flaw on our Noordam cruise last year, the entertainment. It was lacking, A LOT...........

EVERYTHING else though, was EXCELLENT......!!! sHa_thumbsup.gif

Rooms on the Veendam that have a view that we can play cards and games in?

Are there games to play? Like Scrabble and Clue, etc........

There should be some games available; there usually are. You can play in Explorations Cafe, which is the combination library/Internet center. There may be a jigsaw puzzle there, too.

Or, you can take your games up to the tables by the Lido pool.

There should be some games available; there usually are. You can play in Explorations Cafe, which is the combination library/Internet center. There may be a jigsaw puzzle there, too.

Or, you can take your games up to the tables by the Lido pool.

I am sure we will find a place to play cards and stuff......:)

What is the Library like? The Noordam Library was just WONDERFULL.....!!! icon14.gif

I know that the Veendam is a smaller ship, but I am hoping that the Library is just as nice.....:)

I'm very interested int these staterooms. Anyone have first hand experience? We will need a handicapped, and I love the idea of walking out my door and sitting in my lounge chair to see the sights, see, dock, etc. Looks like a very cool idea! Any info will be appreciated!;)

We looked very hard at these as well. I think they are a great fit between the Veranda room and an outside view room. You get the benefits of being able to "step outside" for a better price. You just lose a little privacy. Size and amenity wise, the room looked the same as a Veranda room to me.

The guy on the phone at HAL that we booked with said that the glass door to the deck was like a one-way mirror. You could see out, but no one could see in. But you probably better verify that for yourself if you end up with one, and not take my word for it!

The staterooms off the promenade deck are a little smaller because they have to rotate the bed arrangement so it is not under the window. There is no drawer storage. The glass for the window is a one way mirror, but at night with the lights on, people on the deck can see in unless you close the drapes.

The entertainment on the Veendam in May was far superior to any that we have encountered in all our years of cruising. The man at the piano bar was superb, there was a Juilliard pianist on the main stage. All the performances were top notch, not canned HAL performers.

The Mix had interactive computer type tables with games on them. It was great fun.

If you don't mind my asking, what were the "Vegas" style shows, or the shows they had in the large theatre room? I learned on my last cruise that those shows do not change that often, so its a pretty good bet it will be the same when we go to Bermuda next July.

As I understand it, they shut down some of the entertainment when docked overnight in Bermuda, so we may not get to see everything. But I hope they get in all in during our sea days.

The library was very nice and roomiy It's called the explorer's lounge now.

Close. It's Explorations Cafe. The Explorers Lounge is in a similar location, on the other side of the ship. In the evening the Explorers Lounge has music and drinks (of the potent type).

The two names are easily confused.

For all the posts, I DO appreciate it.......!!! icon14.gif

The more I read about the Veendam, the more I think I like. :)

Does anyone have any personal experiences of an "S" Deluxe Verandah Suite? Will it be big enough for three people?

My DD is not to happy about moving from the Norwegian Dawn, which is the only ship she has been on (4 times).

But, my DH, next year's Birthday Boy (50th!!! party-smiley-540.gif) likes that the Veendam is in Bermuda an extra day, and being able to snorkel is VERY IMPORTANT.......!!! person-smiley-1087.gif :D

We will miss the cabin we normally get on the Dawn, but, I am SURE it will be allright and my DD will be OK, I hope......

I hope Sara will like Holland America has MUCH as my DH and I do....!!!:D

Rooms on the Veendam that have a view that we can play cards and games in?

Are there games to play? Like Scrabble and Clue, etc........

Thanks. :)

You can play games in the Queen's Lounge -- there are tables there.

You get the games and cards from the Librarian in the Explorations Cafe.

NOTE -- the scrabble games and many others are old and have lost many of their pieces.

We always take along our own traveling scrabble game which is 30 years old.

We only book S Delux suites.

They are wonderul.

On the Veendam you have a separate dressing room.

Your daughter will have the pull out sofa -- now there isn't a curtain to separate the sleeping area from the living room area where the sofa is.

The balcony for this cabin on the Veendam is really bif -- 2 chairs with ottomans, a small cocktail table, a table with 4 chairs for breakfast, lunch, dinner or whatever.

In the dressing room there is an extra sink -- so while someone is in the bathroom cleaning up -- another one can use the dressing room sink.

We only book S Delux suites.

They are wonderul.

On the Veendam you have a separate dressing room.

Your daughter will have the pull out sofa -- now there isn't a curtain to separate the sleeping area from the living room area where the sofa is.

The balcony for this cabin on the Veendam is really bif -- 2 chairs with ottomans, a small cocktail table, a table with 4 chairs for breakfast, lunch, dinner or whatever.

In the dressing room there is an extra sink -- so while someone is in the bathroom cleaning up -- another one can use the dressing room sink.

I have seen pictures of it, until you are in it it is hard to imagine the actual size.

I KNOW that my DD will use the Dressing Room area as HER area.....!!! :D

That is where she will put all her "stuff", Mom and Dad will NOT be allowed to use that area........ angry-smiley-1377.gif ;)

I hope that my DD is NOT "disturbed" by the "Old People" snoring.......:eek: ;)

the ncl ships do have the best entertainment, but they have the worst food. hal is far superior in that respect. used to love the dawn before they changed the menu. hal does have open seating for it's meals which, though not as flexible as ncl, is a big plus in my humble opinion. hal's cabins are much larger than ncl's and the whole tone of the cruise is much classier. only other moderately priced line to compare it with is celebrity. how old is your daughter? she might prefer carnival ( not the right cruise line for me, but millions adore it).

the ncl ships do have the best entertainment, but they have the worst food. hal is far superior in that respect. used to love the dawn before they changed the menu. hal does have open seating for it's meals which, though not as flexible as ncl, is a big plus in my humble opinion. hal's cabins are much larger than ncl's and the whole tone of the cruise is much classier. only other moderately priced line to compare it with is celebrity. how old is your daughter? she might prefer carnival ( not the right cruise line for me, but millions adore it).

We were just on the Dawn last month, the entertainment was ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY FABULOUS......!!! sHa_thumbsup2.gif

The new Menu was good and not so good. My DH LOVED having Lobster EVERY NIGHT.......eat-drink-smiley-542.gif

But, I found I was quite bored of the same food, EVERY DAY, plus, there was NO Creme Brulee........:(

I thought the food was good. But I agree with you 100% that the food on Holland America is EXCELLENT.....!!! eat-drink-smiley-542.gif

I don't know about the Veendam, but, the Noordam was SO classy and elegant, we LOVED IT....!!! sHa_thumbsup.gif

My DD is 16 going on 17. She is not a party girl, she prefers quieter things.

For some reason, I have no desire to try Carnival, I don't know why. Maybe because they don't have "Suites" with perks. And we LIKE that.

When we were on the Noordam last year, we were on the Open Dinner seating. It worked out well, sometimes we dined by ourselves, sometimes we agreed to be seated at a table for four, never more than that because it would take FOREVER to have Dinner......

I think both cruise lines have their plusses and minuses. We will continue to cruise on NCL and Holland America, well, as long as they cruise out of the Tri-State (and Boston) area. :D

Close. It's Explorations Cafe. The Explorers Lounge is in a similar location, on the other side of the ship. In the evening the Explorers Lounge has music and drinks (of the potent type).

The two names are easily confused.

What kinds of food, snacks and beverages are served in the Neptune Lounge?

Archived