Scavenger Hunt on the QM2

ColumbiaSC

This is very important. LOL. It is driving me nuts. We are all aware of the numbers of picture posters of the famous people of stage, screen, and politics which are displayed along the corridors near Illuminations and the Royal Court on the Queen Mary 2. For example, there is one of Sir Noel Coward. Well, the problem (for me) is that there is also ANOTHER poster somewhere (but not necessarily one with a single individual celeb) that uses somewhere on its surface the quotation by Coward, "Why, oh why, do the wrong people travel, and the right people stay at home?" But where is it? I have walked the corridors port and starboard on several of those multi-level Decks 2 and 3 and have not found this particular poster again! I have counted countless sheep at night. But I need help or I shall have to be institutionized. Where is that brilliant Cowardian insight to be found on the fantastic Queen Mary 2? Please be quite precise in providing the exact location -- port or starboard, and which Deck and near what? A Milky Way Martini from the Commodore Club to the winner.

Cheers,

Lord Kay of Shandon.

This is very important. LOL. It is driving me nuts. We are all aware of the numbers of picture posters of the famous people of stage, screen, and politics which are displayed along the corridors near Illuminations and the Royal Court on the Queen Mary 2. For example, there is one of Sir Noel Coward. Well, the problem (for me) is that there is also ANOTHER poster somewhere (but not necessarily one with a single individual celeb) that uses somewhere on its surface the quotation by Coward, "Why, oh why, do the wrong people travel, and the right people stay at home?" But where is it? I have walked the corridors port and starboard on several of those multi-level Decks 2 and 3 and have not found this particular poster again! I have counted countless sheep at night. But I need help or I shall have to be institutionized. Where is that brilliant Cowardian insight to be found on the fantastic Queen Mary 2? Please be quite precise in providing the exact location -- port or starboard, and which Deck and near what? A Milky Way Martini from the Commodore Club to the winner.

Cheers,

Lord Kay of Shandon.

LKOS, if no one has been able to quiet your restless mind before then, I will search for the answer when we are on Queen Mary 2 in 2 weeks time. It may take more than one Milky Way Martini however.:)

If all else fails, I can help with the institutionalisation.

safarigal, so pleased to know you will assist in the hunt. I will be on board for three weeks beginning Oct 29th, but I can't wait that long to find out, if possible, and I would like to rush to see where it is once I embark. It's like having a bit of sand in the toe of one's shoe. Excruciating torture of the mind.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

safarigal, so pleased to know you will assist in the hunt. I will be on board for three weeks beginning Oct 29th, but I can't wait that long to find out, if possible, and I would like to rush to see where it is once I embark. It's like having a bit of sand in the toe of one's shoe. Excruciating torture of the mind.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

3 weeks, thats 3 TAs then, are you on the role calls yet,

I am on the Roll Call for the QM2 Oct 29 trip from NYC to Halifax.

The two transatlantics back-to-back begin Nov 4 and the return to New York on Nov 17. I haven't added my name to any Roll Calls for these trips, but I see that there is a Roll Call for the Nov 11 trip from Soton to the Carribbean.

Don.

The two transatlantics back-to-back begin Nov 4 and the return to New York on Nov 17. I haven't added my name to any Roll Calls for these trips, but I see that there is a Roll Call for the Nov 11 trip from Soton to the Carribbean.

Don.

Hi don, come over to the Nov 11th and join us, you will joining a few who are on the 4th and all of us on the 11th.

rob

Lord Kay of Shandon.

There is a possibility that this picture and quote is on one of the promenade corridors on deck 3 for'ard. I have a vague recollection of a montage type picture with some F.B.I. or immigration people questioning some shady characters on the deck of an old Cunarder. Just a thought.

Gari.

"Why oh why do the wrong people travel when the right people stay back home" is a line from the number "Why do the Wrong People Travel" in Coward's play "Sail Away"

http://trystcuit.blogspot.com/2007/08/elaine-stritich-why-do-wrong-people.html

http://www.lyricszoo.com/noel-coward/why-do-the-wrong-people-travel/

:)

doesn't answer the original question, but I thought someone might enjoy it in it's original context...

There is a possibility that this picture and quote is on one of the promenade corridors on deck 3 for'ard. I have a vague recollection of a montage type picture with some F.B.I. or immigration people questioning some shady characters on the deck of an old Cunarder. Just a thought.

Gari.

Thanks G, I have made a note of this and will check it out!:)

• 2 weeks later...

And, you know, I have a sneaking suspicion I've seen/heard of that. Going to have to look around while aboard.

Of course, our kids could show you where to find the etching of Homer Simpson.

'Hope we get a chance to meet abaord. I'm supposed to have a signing on the last day (no idea what time, yet) but it would be nice to meet earlier.

Good luck with your hunt!

Don.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear LKOS,

We searched the ship for the poster, but failed to locate it, despite as much help as we could muster. I am so sorry!

The Noel Coward poster on the port side near Illuminations on Deck 3 does have the somewhat controversial quote on it, but we couldn't find it anywhere else. I did take a picture of the poster, and as soon as I can work out how to upload it to the Board, I will do so.

Good luck on your quest. I do so hope you have not been institutionalised and have to miss the boat. The QM2 was absolutely wonderful, its not fair that they made us get off, but I suppose it is necessary so she can be shared with others.

Have a great trip!

Lesley

P.S. The Milky Way Martinis in the Commodore Club are still perfection.

Dear LKOS,

We searched the ship for the poster, but failed to locate it, despite as much help as we could muster. I am so sorry!

The Noel Coward poster on the port side near Illuminations on Deck 3 does have the somewhat controversial quote on it, but we couldn't find it anywhere else. I did take a picture of the poster, and as soon as I can work out how to upload it to the Board, I will do so.

Does this help?

4006495518_6801aeb883_m.jpg

Noel's Mate Gari

Does this help?

4006495518_6801aeb883_m.jpg

Noel's Mate Gari

Gracious! Is it Halloween already? That's quite scary! Thanks for posting the picture. Is it the one on deck 3 on the starboard side near Illuminations? We searched the D stairwell but couldn't find the quote there. It was tremendous fun, and in fact, our quest took us to nearly every poster on the ship I would think by the time we were done. Helped us get over not winning the Team Trivia.

Mad, Madam, indeed, we are all insane. I have been institionalized on Bull Street (where the Insane Asylum was located for over a hundred years) for a period of several weeks, but I am getting a medical release for my Cunard trips as the Scary Mary is one place that is sure to fit right in. I am intrigued to learn from safarigal that "The Noel Coward poster on the port side near Illuminations on Deck 3 does have the somewhat controversial quote on it, but we couldn't find it anywhere else." I had thought I had read every damn last inch of that poster for the quotation, but apparently not, and I shall race to see it, after a martini in the Commodore Club, when I embark on Oct 29th. Thanks so much to all of you for trying to save my sanity. Glad to know you have had some fun out of this scavenger hunt.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

Hi! This is my first attemp at trying to download (?upload) photos, so bear with me!

The first picture is of the poster itself, a Gari less (garrulous?) one, the second is of the quote, I hope they can be seen fairly easily!

A cruise is a wonderful cure for madness, should you wish for one! Looking forward to hearing how your trip goes.

Lesley

th_P1080410.jpgth_P1080409.jpg

Hi! This is my first attemp at trying to download (?upload) photos, so bear with me!

The first picture is of the poster itself, a Gari less (garrulous?) one, the second is of the quote, I hope they can be seen fairly easily!

A cruise is a wonderful cure for madness, should you wish for one! Looking forward to hearing how your trip goes.

Lesley

th_P1080410.jpgth_P1080409.jpg

I think Dear Noel looks a trifle wistful there, he's missing me already.

A Garullous Gari

Archived