What to do in the MORNING in Key West?

RQINFL

If this is your first visit to Key West..I would suggest hopping on the Conch Train. It is a 90 minute sight-seeing tour around the island. You will get to see many of the 'hotspots' as well as other points of interest. You can pick up tickets/information at the corner of Front and Duval or just beyond Mallory Square...both of which are steps from your dock. You can also take the Trolley which allows you to get off at certain locations...just depends on how much time you have to spend. Have fun!!

If this is your first visit to Key West..I would suggest hopping on the Conch Train. It is a 90 minute sight-seeing tour around the island. You will get to see many of the 'hotspots' as well as other points of interest. You can pick up tickets/information at the corner of Front and Duval or just beyond Mallory Square...both of which are steps from your dock. You can also take the Trolley which allows you to get off at certain locations...just depends on how much time you have to spend. Have fun!!

I agree, the morning is a quiet time on the rock and a great time to take the Conch Tour Train and scout out sights that one might want to visit later. I like the train better because it gives a greater overview in less time than the trolley.

Mike:)

Peter,

Is the bar at Two Friends open while they serve breakfast, or would we have to sit at a table in order to order a drink?

Thanks~

I don't believe the bar itself is open during breakfast, but you can sit at a table and order a drink. Two Friends is nice because the left side of the restaurant is open to Front Street and Ann Lane and is always cool in the morning.

Pjk

We're going to be there next month for just the morning as well.

We're going parasailing at 9 am and then we'll just wander around, find some frozen key lime pie on a stick, go to kino sandals, and then browse or stop as we feel the need/want.

Last time we were there we felt that we didn't get enough wandering time so this time should take care of that! Key West is a charming place.

I think the trolley where you hop on and off is a great idea. You can see the whole of Key West that way very easily but you also can just walk it.

I guess we'll go to Ft Zachary Taylor ... and maybe sleep in a little bit. I'd much rather have the first day be a sea day and be at Coz early, then get to KW at 1pm and leave at 10pm ... it's a bummer to always miss the sunset from Mallory Square.

But thanks for the great suggestions ... we aren't big shoppers ... not big drinkers either, but the people watching gets better as the afternoon goes on, too ... and Key West is my favorite spot to people watch!

• 2 weeks later...

There is never enough time in Key West! We are heading there Monday for third visit and we wish the cruise lines would stay longer in port, like the Bermuda runs or bypass other ports. Early into Key West you can walk to rent a scooter and really see the island or just walk(its warm, tho!). We walked the length of Duvall to see Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville(a must), the Southernmost point, Hemmingway house, The Butterfly Conservatory, the beautiful Southernmost Hotel,etc. If tired and too warm, there are cabs and even the people-driven carriages. If you get a scooter, the doubles are great to see Smathers Beach which is down other side of island towards airport. Try, if you can find it, Ana's Cuban cafe Southernmost deli down a few blocks from the Southermost Point heading towards airport for some great Cuban coffee and food. There are excellent places to eat everywhere and try the Key Lime Pie in the store right up from Jimmys place(I forget the name but will get it next week!). You can buy by the slice in plastic container with either merigne or whip creme on top--around 5$ a piece but oh so good. Most stores,etc open after 9am or earlier as they know when the ships are in port.

Take care and enjoy the best place on Earth!

• 2 weeks later...
We'll also be there just for a morning and unfortunately, it'll be a Sunday morning, so it sounds like drinks are out of the question.

Drinks are never out of the question in Key West. No Sunday laws here.

I'd like to know that too! We disembark around 10 AM and we are leaving from Key West around 2 PM.

Will there be enough time to walk from the port to the southernmost point and back?

10-2??!! OMG! Well, it's a 1.3 mile walk to the SMP, so you should have plenty of time.

• 1 month later...

THere is a Package available on this website http://www.trustedtours.com/store/Key-West-C2.aspx. There are different packages available. We chose the PASSPORT which gave us unlimited use of the trolley all day and tours of the hemmingway house, Truman annex, Flagler museum and more! We got off at the southernmost point and had lunch at the southernmost hotels beachfront bar and grille.. and then got back on and headed to Duval street where we went to Margaritaville and Sloppy Joes. The trolley takes you by the Key Lime Pie Shop if you're so inclined. Id' opt for the Key Lime martini at ANY of the aforementiond bars. Enjoy!

THere is a Package available on this website http://www.trustedtours.com/store/Key-West-C2.aspx. There are different packages available. We chose the PASSPORT which gave us unlimited use of the trolley all day and tours of the hemmingway house, Truman annex, Flagler museum and more! We got off at the southernmost point and had lunch at the southernmost hotels beachfront bar and grille.. and then got back on and headed to Duval street where we went to Margaritaville and Sloppy Joes. The trolley takes you by the Key Lime Pie Shop if you're so inclined. Id' opt for the Key Lime martini at ANY of the aforementiond bars. Enjoy!

FWIW I think the old Flagler Museum...

http://www.flaglerstation.net/

...is now a coffee shop or a restaurant or a craft store, or something else. Can't recall.

Pjk

• 1 month later...

We'll be in Key West next week with my mom who has some difficulty walking. Is the Hemmingway House too far of a walk from the pier? Do the Conch Train & Trolly both make a stop at the Hemmingway House for touring? Which is preferable? We'd like to also have lunch and do some shopping. Suggestions?

We'll be in Key West next week with my mom who has some difficulty walking. Is the Hemmingway House too far of a walk from the pier? Do the Conch Train & Trolly both make a stop at the Hemmingway House for touring? Which is preferable? We'd like to also have lunch and do some shopping. Suggestions?

Hemingway's house is at 908 whitehead, so nine blocks and a little bit to walk there. It's an easy walk and shaded on "his" side of the street, and you pass Kelly's, the Audubon House, the Green Parrot, all on that side of the street, and there's the Bahama Village and the lighthouse and museum just past the Hemingway House on the other side of the street.

The train will go past it and tell you about it but not stop. IIRC the trolly is stop #5. Blue Heaven is two blocks away on Petronia at Thomas if you want a nice lunch. And there is Besame Mucho, a very nice store on Petronia just before you come to Blue Heaven.

Pjk

• 3 weeks later...

Archived