Truth about Rum Point Beach--Please

Oompaland

Rum Point is a beautiful beach. Are you considering going via a tour or renting a car?

You can walk pretty far out as there is little drop off. I didn't snorkle since we had already done that on the Nativeway Tour.

The lunch was fantastic. I thought the rum punch type drink I had was good but with tip was about $11 US for not so large of a plastic cup.

I found the beach to have lots of shady spots. I didn't think the beach was that big. When we first arrived it was rather packed but then it emptied out. I figured another tour had left but don't really know for sure.

I haven't been to Seven Mile so I can't compare. If you are driving out there I'm not sure I would take the approximate 45 min. to 1 hour ride each way. I'd rather sit on a beach closer and have more 'fun in the sun' time.

Please don't think I didn't like Rum Point. I am only giving you my personal observations based on my experience. I absolutely enjoyed my time on Rum Point and especially the whole Nativeway tour.

I hope this has helped you.

IMHO, it is a beautiful beach... but it's not the nicest beach I've ever been to and I wouldn't exactly consider it a "can't miss" location. I haven't been to 7 mile beach either and I wouldn't dissuade you from going to Rum Point but I really wouldn't have a compelling argument for you to go there over another beach either.

Rum Point is nothing like Seven Mile Beach.

Rum Point has lots of shade trees, and the beach is much smaller. There are no vast expanses of sand like 7MB. Think "secluded tropics" rather than "sunny caribbean" beach.

At Rum Point, there is one small gift shop and one bar/restaurant. There is very little else in the way of stores or restaurants nearby. There is one other beach bar-style restaurant (Kaibo) about a fifteen minute brisk walk from Rum Point (but it's very similar to the restaurant at Rum Point in terms of menu, etc.)

Rum Point can only be easily accessed via rental car or tour excursion, unlike 7MB where there is an abundance of taxis.

Rum Point (IMO) has better snorkelling. Rum Point also has free lounge chairs rather than rentals (don't need umbrellas) and only one watersports operator rather than a number of them.

Rum Point is on the far side of the island, away from the main tourist area, but located within a small subdivision of vacation homes. 7MB is right in the heart of the main tourist strip with lots going on.

Both are great beaches in their own ways. It's really a matter of personal preference.

Bookbabe, would my girls (7 & 12) be bored at Rum Point?

The shade does appeal to me as getting a tan is for sea days!

I am also looking for a picture-perfect setting to get a photo of the girls for our holiday cards. The pictures of the beach look breath-taking.

We have been to the Royal Palms on Seven Mile Beach.

Caribbean Sunsets, were you nervous about Nativeway getting you back to the ship on time? I am considering them or maybe Carnival's excursion with the stingrays and Rum Point.

No, I wasn't worried at all about returning on time. Sharon at Nativeway is well aware of dock and tender times. Her business depends on keeping it all running smoothly and getting folks back on time. She even references CC on her website. You may not have any or a lot of time to shop when you get back but you will return in time.

When we were there in November last year, there were about 4 or 5 other ships tendered. One of Nativeway's tours/boats was for a Carnival sponsored tour. I booked privately and was on the Ruby Princess. I even saw ship personnel pay Sharon at the dock for their ship's excursions.

Bookbabe, would my girls (7 & 12) be bored at Rum Point?

I guess that depends on them. :D

There's sand. There's water. They can swim, maybe snorkel a bit, play on the beach. There's generally a bit less surf than 7MB. There's a beach volleyball net. There's watersports rentals if you want to rent a waverunner or something and take them out for a ride. There's some trees near the water that have fallen over and make a great place for kids to climb over & under. There's hammocks. There's a parrot. There's really good salsa & chips at the beach bar.

Oh, that reminds me...the other big difference is that Rum Point does not allow ANY outside food & drinks at all, whereas at the more public sections of 7MB there's no problem stopping at a store on the way and bringing your own snacks and drinks.

We were at Rum Point on our last cruise and wished we had been able to stay longer (it was just a stop on a Jeep tour that kinda stunk, LOL). We got home and it was time to do some home-improvements, and I actually chose a huge framed print of Rum Point around which to decorate my bedroom, LOL. The food there was good, but pricey (as everything is in GC). Snorkeling was decent, there was even a ray that came around and was hanging out a lot under the pier there.

I was considering just hopping a cab to 7 Mile on this trip, until I saw that there were 4 other ships in port that day. And figuring that a good % of the other 6000 people in port that day were probably going to cab it to 7 Mile (since it's the easiest and closest beach to get to), we made other plans (RRR with Nativeway).

We're taking our kids, 6 and 10, there and know that there will be plenty to keep them entertained.

We were at Rum Point on our last cruise and wished we had been able to stay longer (it was just a stop on a Jeep tour that kinda stunk, LOL). We got home and it was time to do some home-improvements, and I actually chose a huge framed print of Rum Point around which to decorate my bedroom, LOL. The food there was good, but pricey (as everything is in GC). Snorkeling was decent, there was even a ray that came around and was hanging out a lot under the pier there.

I was considering just hopping a cab to 7 Mile on this trip, until I saw that there were 4 other ships in port that day. And figuring that a good % of the other 6000 people in port that day were probably going to cab it to 7 Mile (since it's the easiest and closest beach to get to), we made other plans (RRR with Nativeway).

We're taking our kids, 6 and 10, there and know that there will be plenty to keep them entertained.

Thanks for your insights. The bold part; if there were less ships in port or even if you were the only ship in port do you still think R.P. would be better than 7 mile?

MamaParrotHead-

Are you going on the Nov 29th sailing on the Glory? We were torn between the Glory and the Valor. Same route, ports and exact days. We chose Valor because at the time of booking it was $20 cheaper.

We may be in Cayman with you. I say may because Carnival's website says we are there with you on Tuesday. Cayman Port Authory says we are there Friday. Carnival is working on that situation.

If we are together we are looking at booking with Nativeway also and may be excursion-mates! My girls are 7 and 12.

MamaParrotHead-

Are you going on the Nov 29th sailing on the Glory? We were torn between the Glory and the Valor. Same route, ports and exact days. We chose Valor because at the time of booking it was $20 cheaper.

We may be in Cayman with you. I say may because Carnival's website says we are there with you on Tuesday. Cayman Port Authory says we are there Friday. Carnival is working on that situation.

If we are together we are looking at booking with Nativeway also and may be excursion-mates! My girls are 7 and 12.

Yes, that's us, GLory 11/29/09! We were on the Valor for our first cruise and LOVED it. That'd be fun if you'd be on our RRR tour...I have a son who's 6 and a DD who will be 10. There's a bunch of us from our group on the RRR tour...it will be a good time!

Need great advise from CC members...

What is your honest opinion on Rum Point Beach? The pictures are beautiful, the reviews are so-so. We always hit seven mile beach and are looking for a change.

Thanks in advance.

Which line are you going with? Princess offers a trip to stingray city, reef snorkel, and Rum Point with lunch altogether for about $89. I am going to do this, as it won a C.R.U.I.S.E. award with Princess for being an excursion people really enjoyed. If your line offers an excursion there, I would book it, being that Rum Point is not cheap to get to by taxi. Cost is $35 one way, I saw on a board.

good luck!

Archived