10 days till first cruise-going on Explorer to Bermuda-couple questions

manchak99

Anyone else? Also, how is deck 7 (we're staying in a room with a balcony).

Will i notice the ship moving-worried about making me dizzy-or is it so slow that i won't notice at all.

Is there an ATM machine on the ship?

How is cell phone service (TMOBILE) when on the ship and in Bermuda....

Anyone else? Also, how is deck 7 (we're staying in a room with a balcony).

Will i notice the ship moving-worried about making me dizzy-or is it so slow that i won't notice at all.

Is there an ATM machine on the ship?

How is cell phone service (TMOBILE) when on the ship and in Bermuda....

Welcome!! How exciting for you! You should go to the main 'cruise critic forums message boards' then find the heading 'Roll Calls - Royal Caribbean Meet and Mingle' Click on that, find your ship, then scroll down to find your sailing date! I'm sure you'll find lots of people going on your cruise with you and you can introduce yourself and maybe even meet up when you get there.

I get motion sick very easily, so I take ginger pills with me. You can buy some travel bonine just in case.

There is an ATM.

I don't have TMobile.

Have fun!!!:)

Thanks for the tips!

Ginger pills....do you find they work better than dramamine or bonine? Can i find them at a drugstore by the bonine?

Yes - most people can take Bonine or non-drowsy dramamine and be fine but even those make me sleepy (which puts a halt on my vacation frou frou drinking!:p) so I had to look for something else. I tested ginger pills out and they really, really work for me with NO side effects. I got them at GNC but I saw them at my local Stop and Shop in the vitamin aisle.

Deck 7 is a nice location - Two flights down to the promenade, and four flights up to the pool and buffet. Are you mid-ship or towards the rear? People tend to feel movement less there than if their cabin is towards the front.

The Ex is our favourite ship. You will have a great time. Deck 7 is a good deck. Only cabins above you and below you which will mean no noise. There is a great thread called "ALL THINGS EXPLORER OF THE SEAS".

Ginger pills work fine. Chances are you won't feel a thing. Enjoy.

We've been on EOS twice now and had some pretty significant seas. Left Bayone during a Nor'Eastern. Brought 2 boxes of Bonnie, wrist straps and a bottle of 100 Ginger tablets. We have yet to use any of them. You will most likely be just fine. Bring what you want just to be on the safe side. That's what we do.;)

You will love it - I've been on 97 cruises and the Explorer of the Seas is my favorite ship.

We go to Bermuda every September on her. The seas should be calm and you will love the ship and Bermuda. We left last year from Bayonne just when a hurricane started and we thought we wouldn't even pull out but we left in time and in 2 hours we were in the storm.

The ship held up like I never saw before. The whole way down we were in the storm and

it was actually fun. We were on Deck 2 and the window was getting hit with waves and sometimes the window was under water and we never got sick. Once we got to bermuda it was 90 and sunny both days. It's a big ship so you will be fine. You will be addicted to the Explorer as many people are. We will be boarding her in a few weeks.

We are again on Deck 2 we love it. I usually book a balcony but for a five night cruise to Bermuda we prefer outside oceanview on Deck 2. Deck 7 is great location with a balcony.

I'm sure you all will be fine. Don't miss the parades every night in the promande deck. (Spelt that wrong). Enjoy!

Dave

Thanks so much Dave for the info...sounds like you were on quite the adventure the last trip to Bermuda! Very reassuring that even that type of weather didn't make the ship rock too much that you were sick!

I'm so excited! And more so after reading your encouraging post!

Hi neighbor! See you on the ship, my husband and I are booked for that sailing also and are very excited. Explorer is one of my favorite ships, and this is my 3rd trip on EOS at this time of year.

Deck 7 is nice, close to everything. IIRC, we're somewhere on 6 in a guarantee interior. I didn't even check, honestly, just happy to be on board. Really should check that out, I guess.

I'd disagree with some other posters about the "motion of the ocean'...I definitely feel the boat moving, and the past two years there's been a storm of some kind, it's just the time of year I guess. I would recommend bringing some ginger, or find me if you forget it ;). Not only is it good for seasickness, it's good for taming the tummy, and sometimes on the boat you get a little carried away at feeding time and having something to settle your stomach is nice. I get mine at Rite Aid, a big bottle lasts forever. In a pinch, ginger ale from the bar works fine too.

Some people like the wristbands, but I'm not prone to seasickness so the ginger seems fine to me.

I had decent service with Sprint in Bermuda, but it was really expensive. I think about $2.50 a minute. I didn't even bother keeping the phone turned on so I didn't have to pay for texts and voicemails. You should definitely call Tmobile and see what the international roaming rates are, and if you need an international add-on to your mobile plan.

Other thoughts...don't miss the ice show, it would be pretty impressive even if the skaters weren't trying to do jumps on a moving floor. It's worth lining up for the tickets. And bring socks if you want to ice skate, the rink is open for skating a few times during the cruise.

Do bring multiple seasickness remedies with you just in case. On large cruise ships you certainly do not feel the motion nearly as much as in say a fishing vessel, but most people do still feel the ship moving - especially if the seas are rough. Don't just bring one type of medicine (i.e. ginger) but 3-4 different ones; different medications may help one person, but not the next. Since it is your first cruise you will need to see what is best for you in the event you do become seasick.

One thing to keep in mind with cell phones while at sea is that the ship's tower passes on special roaming charges to your carrier - even if you have free roaming with your normal plan, you still will be charged these roaming rates. For many cell phone companies they are $2.49 per minute, but I do not know for sure what T-Mobile's rates are.

Have a great cruise. Bermuda is a very nice destination. :)

Thanks all! I really appreciate the wealth of info! i'm going to try dramamine this weekend just to test it out and see if i'm one of those who falls asleep on this drug! Will bring a few choices though:)

I'm so hoping for good weather and calm seas! Just looked at weather.bm and the weather for next week (towards the end-just in time for us to start our trip) is to be nice......

As for the ice show-that's the one thing EVERYONE is telling us to see! We'll check it out. How do we get tickets? Is there something listed in our rooms for daily/nightly activities?

Thanks all! I really appreciate the wealth of info! i'm going to try dramamine this weekend just to test it out and see if i'm one of those who falls asleep on this drug! Will bring a few choices though:)

I'm so hoping for good weather and calm seas! Just looked at weather.bm and the weather for next week (towards the end-just in time for us to start our trip) is to be nice......

As for the ice show-that's the one thing EVERYONE is telling us to see! We'll check it out. How do we get tickets? Is there something listed in our rooms for daily/nightly activities?

Don't get so hung up on sea sickness as to worry about it so much. Take some ginger or dramamine with you just in case you need it. Also sometimes the ATM machine runs out of money so I would bring what I need from home.

Have a great trip!

I thankfully don't have a problem with seasickness so I can't comment on what remedies work, but if you've never had any problems with motion sickness, chances are you'll be fine.

The ice show was amazing! I can't believe they were able to do jumps on ice on a moving ship. They also have times where passengers can go ice skating. I never got around to trying that but I'm sure that would be fun. They have a time where they give out the free tickets to the show. I think it was the first night. You have to watch for the announcements and it's also on the Cruise Compass (listing of daily activities).

I just got back from Bermuda and it was wonderful. We didn't have the best weather and the seas were rough the last night, but it was still a great time. Can't wait to go back!

Every night your room steward will leave a Cruise Compass which lists everything you need to know about your next day on the ship. It will tell you when and where to pick up tickets for the Ice Show and when those shows will be scheduled. If you don't happen to pick up tickets, go anyway and it is likely that there will still be seats available when all ticketed passengers have been admitted and you can get in to see the show. It is everything that people have told you and shouldn't be missed.:)

Archived