Book Club Onboard

Big Al B.

My money's on Michener's "Hawaii" for your sailing ... since the books will be themed to the itinerary.

No, not heard anything yet. We are doing a 14-day, so I was hoping someone would report back on their onboard experience with the book club thingie.

Has anyone had any experience with the onboard book club that supposedly takes place on 14-day and longer cruises? The news release says they will post the name of the book, but I haven't been able to find anything. Going on the 19-day Hawaii cruise.

Just found this doing a search on HAL for Onboard Book Club:

Dated June 1, 2009

Starting in mid-2009 on cruises lasting 14 or more days, a book club leader will host lively book discussions in the Explorations Café powered by the New York Times. Book titles will be posted online before the cruise so guests interested in joining the discussion will have time to read the chosen book. The book club leader will plan and facilitate two to three discussions for each book. Books chosen will relate to the sailing destination whether by author or topic. For example, on an Australian itinerary the book may be “In a Sunburned Country” by Bill Bryson or in Asia, “Saving Fish from Drowning: A Novel by Amy Tan.”

The full release is at: http://de.hollandamerica.com/ende/news/NewsRelease.action?newsReleaseId=750

One thing we did on our Roll Call from last July's Princess British Isles cruise was, we selected a book of our own, "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society," since we were going to Guernsey, and arranged to meet at afternoon tea on one of our sea days. We had about 20 people come, enjoy the tea and cake, and discuss the book, both men and women. It was a great discussion and something I'd like to do on every cruise, not just longer ones. Through the discussion, we got to know each other better, which was so nice!

Archived