Do you check what is above & below your cabin?

beemergal

In another posting (can't remember which), I mentioned I did not think to look at what was above or below me when I booked my cabin. Some posters were incredulous that I did not think about that while some people understood and said they did not think about it either before they had been on multiple cruises. Some recounted horror stories of noise from above or below. Based on advice on this wonderful informational (and opinionated!) board, I contacted my PVP about my V10 cabin on an upcoming Sensation cruise. Some on this board advised that these cabins are sold as an upgrade, but the balconies are actually smaller than regular balcony cabins. The Fitness Area appears to be above some if not all of the cabins. Some advised I would be better off with a regular balcony cabin somewhere else on the ship. This long explanation leads me to the response from my PVP: "Your cabin is not below the gym. It is below the spa(below the steam room). You have a private balcony. Your view is 100% unobstructed. The cat. 11 suite is bigger than a standard balcony."Yes, a little terse, but he answered the question.

So, my advice gleaned from this forum, check what is above and below you and use your PVP to get the full story. Sometimes you will learn questions to ask from this board.

I always check the deck above and below me before picking Our Cabin.I donot want to be under the pool, exercise room, pool decks. Way too noisey from what friends have told us that booked cabins below these decks. We have always been lucky and our cabin is nice and quiet.

Most definitely! Choosing the right stateroom can make the difference between a GREAT cruise and a PERFECT cruise. What's above and below are vital considerations -- as are things like how close to elevators, the atrium, doors leading to crew stairways, the anchors, propellers, etc. LOT'S of things onboard are sources of avoidable noise -- and a little forethought can minimize them.

I check above and below, a few times over. Then run the rooms through CruiseCritic and other boards to check and see what people say about them. I'm spending too much money not to be informed about where my cabin is going to be. It has served me well in the past too!

Not only check the deck above and below, but also check around you on the deck you're looking at. You don't want to be too close to cabins that have the connecting doors - could be families with lot's of children.

Not that I have anything about families with children, as long as they leave them on the dock where I leave mine.

Seriously, there have been a few horror stories on these boards about being next to these types of cabins.

Jim

I actually did a search on the exact cabin number with Cruise Critic and also googled it. Sometimes you can find posts & reviews about the exact cabins you are considering.

I went with one that a couple of people had referenced without any negativity.

I absolutely check carefully. My husband is a very light sleeper, we go to bed early and we both have an unfortunate tendency to motion sickness. So far I've always chosen midships, as low as possible, away from the elevators and with nothing but cabins above, below and across the hallway. However, I do hear the siren song of the aft wrap balcony:D

My DH and I are very picky about our cabin location now due to some bad ones. On RCCL Majesty we were below a service galley and always heard clanking throughout the night. Then on Valor we were in cabin 1444 (Riviera) and had (what sounded like) "angry Orcas" moaning and crying. We determined it to be the worst during slow cruising speeds when the propellers were going extra slow. Annoying as heck!! Mid ship Riviera on Liberty was prime and we slept like babies :)

I've never paid attention, but we are usually on lower decks because we try to book the cheapest categories. As such we are usually sandwiched between passenger decks, but not always. To be honest, the only noise issues we have had has been from neighbors and people/kids in hallways, and there's no way to predict that before the cruise. I wouldn't stress about it. I'll sleep when I'm dead. But if you are a really light sleeper and need your 8 hours, get ear plugs.

In another posting (can't remember which), I mentioned I did not think to look at what was above or below me when I booked my cabin. Some posters were incredulous that I did not think about that while some people understood and said they did not think about it either before they had been on multiple cruises. Some recounted horror stories of noise from above or below. Based on advice on this wonderful informational (and opinionated!) board, I contacted my PVP about my V10 cabin on an upcoming Sensation cruise. Some on this board advised that these cabins are sold as an upgrade, but the balconies are actually smaller than regular balcony cabins. The Fitness Area appears to be above some if not all of the cabins. Some advised I would be better off with a regular balcony cabin somewhere else on the ship. This long explanation leads me to the response from my PVP: "Your cabin is not below the gym. It is below the spa(below the steam room). You have a private balcony. Your view is 100% unobstructed. The cat. 11 suite is bigger than a standard balcony."Yes, a little terse, but he answered the question.

So, my advice gleaned from this forum, check what is above and below you and use your PVP to get the full story. Sometimes you will learn questions to ask from this board.

In a word.....YES:)

I check above and below and also each side. I only pick rooms sandwiched in between other 2 people rooms. Had a room one cruise with very small children next door who played ping pong off the bed and into my wall every morning at 6:00. One wrong cabin will teach you to check everything!

Cindy

Most definitely a "must do" - had one cabin under the pool deck - Aagh! scraping of deck chairs, cleaning crews, etc. in the late hours of the night and wee hours of the morning. Finally got used to it by day 6 of a 7 day cruise.

Archived