Still Debating RCCL Cabin Choice with Infant

cryce

Need some help from those of you who are familiar with RCCL or cruising with infants...

We are taking our first cruise with our 6.5 mo old son at Christmas, along with a huge extended family. Currently in 7388 on Mariner - chose this because huge aft balcony, corner room so less neighbors to disrupt if baby cries, etc.

We have also toyed with option of two insides or a Jr Suite. There have been lots of price drops on our cruise and the prices aren't that different (two connecting insides vs Balcony, JS a bit more). This cruise is a gift from my MIL as a way to come together after my FIL's passing. She has said to pick whatever suits us, within reason (no owner's suite :) It will probably be the only time we all get together like this for a long time to come so I want it to go well...as well as can be cruising with an infant!

I am really worried about getting DS to sleep. He has severe reflux and has struggled with sleep since he was born. We are over the worst of it and have just gotten him adjusted to his own room, own crib and he is now sleeping through the night. I don't want the cruise to totally mess things up. We will keep to his sleep routine and nap schedule, even if it means missing out on things. For this reason, we thought a balcony or extra space best.

Here are some of my concerns:

- 7388 Aft balcony has horizontal "railings" instead of a glass panel. My son won't be "mobile" by then but still worries me...then again, because it's aft and there is the ship's structure, it's not a straight drop like other balconies...

- for a baby used to sleeping in his own, dark room, how do we manage all in one room? Any way of "curtaining" him off? My husband snores like a lawnmower.

- I've read of some ppl putting PNP in the huge closet in the Jr Suites...crazy idea?

Thanks for reading. Lots of info but I didn't know where else to get help with this. Thank you!

Unfortunately, can't offer any direct replies, but thought that my experience could help.

I have 4.5 mo old with reflux issues (he has been on Zantac and after starting it sleeps through the night) and we have recently traveled to visit my DH's family. We stayed in the hotel, so slept all together in the same room, even though DS normally sleeps by himself. My DH also snores unbelievable loudly (I sleep with earplugs and still hear him loud and clear). Our solution was to keep it quiet for the hour or so it takes DS to fall into deep sleep (no TV, reading a book for me, hotel bar for DH) and after that everything was fine.

I am also looking into a cruise soon and we are thinking balcony at the minimum, junior/mini suite if the price is right. Also note that anything lower than suite would only have a shower stall in the bathroom, no tub, so it is extra hassle at bath time.

Congrats on the AFt balcony score! Its my favorite cabin on the ship, even over the GS.

You really should have no concern over a 6.5 month old and the balcony metal rails. How would a 6.5 month old even have a chance to get outside without you? ;)

That balcony doesn't have a curtain that will block out the snoring though. Maybe the hubby should sleep on the lounge chair on the balcony? :p:D

Thanks for the info!

Cruisinmama - are there rooms on Mariner that do have divider curtains?

Some cabins have those curtains but I have to tell you, I wouldn't consider it a "divider curtain". I thought it would be able to be pulled across the cabin, but it only goes a little more than a quarter way. Here is one view of it on Mariner...(not my picture, but it will show you)

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1100035952051336907oCXYbZ

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, you will definitely want the balcony for yourselves. At naptime or after baby goes to sleep it is so wonderful for you and hubby to be able to hang out, read etc.

Once we had a room we thought had a divider curtain, but it didn't. We made one using suction cups and string (my husband had packed these items just in case). We put the PnP in the "foyer" of the room where it was narrow by the entry door and bathroom door. During the day we just collapsed the PnP. It worked fine.

JS's on Radiance class do have a "full curtain" to divide the JS--they don't have that curtain on the Voyager class ships.

Don't worry about the balcony with a baby as young as yours....

As far as putting baby in the closet----there won't be any AC in there, and if you leave the door open, it interferes with the bathroom and hallway door and will bang around if the seas are rough!

I'm betting the motion of the ship will really "rock" your little one to sleep...he'll be fine!

Start getting him used to noises now, so it won't startle him awake when a neighbor's door slams, or loud folks pass your door. A "white noise" machine may be a help, if he's sensitive to noise!

Everyone has already given you great advice.

If you are concerned about the snoring, I second a white noise machine. It will dull the snoring a bit as well as block out other ship sounds.

As for the reflux, and getting your LO to adjust, try doing a nap or two in a PnP at home, so he gets used to it. And, always be prepared to wing it. DD ended up sleeping in her stroller all week on her first cruise. She was happy. She slept. Therefore, I was happy and I slept. Whatever works.

Odd woman out here....

If your husband snores like a bear (CPAP material? :confused:) and you just got your baby to sleep thru the night and are worried about disrupting this pattern, I would suggest that you consider 2 connecting insides. You wont have a balcony to retreat to while baby sleeps but at least you wont be stressed that you are waking baby up everytime you come in from the balcony to pee or go get a drink or snack.

Dont know what your financial situation is exactly but the Mariner has two D1-balcony / L-inside connecting combo's on it, on deck 9. You would have to book with DH in one and you in the other but the configuration might be comparable to the cost of JS and you could easily bring a baby monitor so that you could close the connecting door and monitor baby while they are sleeping.

The specific cabins I am referring to are Aft cabins:

9676/9681

9376/9381

Price that combo out and see what the difference is. That config might work for you.

The combo is also ideal because the L-inside room is the last room on the hallway, so a crying infant wont disturb anyone.

If all else fails you could put snoring hubby into the inside room :D

Odd woman out here....

If your husband snores like a bear (CPAP material? :confused:) and you just got your baby to sleep thru the night and are worried about disrupting this pattern, I would suggest that you consider 2 connecting insides. You wont have a balcony to retreat to while baby sleeps but at least you wont be stressed that you are waking baby up everytime you come in from the balcony to pee or go get a drink or snack.

Dont know what your financial situation is exactly but the Mariner has two D1-balcony / L-inside connecting combo's on it, on deck 9. You would have to book with DH in one and you in the other but the configuration might be comparable to the cost of JS and you could easily bring a baby monitor so that you could close the connecting door and monitor baby while they are sleeping.

The specific cabins I am referring to are Aft cabins:

9676/9681

9376/9381

Price that combo out and see what the difference is. That config might work for you.

The combo is also ideal because the L-inside room is the last room on the hallway, so a crying infant wont disturb anyone.

If all else fails you could put snoring hubby into the inside room :D

You would have to pay the price for passengers 1 and 2 in both cabins (a little more expensive) but I am willing to bet, based on what I hear about the Mariners price drops lately, that this cost will be compatible to the 3 of you sailing in a JS category, yet will offer the type of privacy that you are hoping for.

Regarding the reflux, and just trying to be helpful--as our two sons had it as a result of lactose (milk-product) intolerance/allergies...and once we cut out all dairy it went away. The oldest is now 11 1/2 and does fine with dairy, particularly if he takes a dairy digestive tablet with ice cream or cheeses. The youngest is only 3.9, so still holding off on dairy for him, for the most part.

Anyway, back to the original intent of the poster, we have a third child (DD) and we ended up in two connecting VEs on HAL's Westerdam last spring, which worked very very well. One of you can sleep in the same room as your child..probably the non-snorer, and the other alone, sigh. I believe Carnival has an arrangement whereby you get a Verandah/balcony cabin that also connects to an inside. So that's another option.

Happy travels!

Archived