burgundy velvet pants for formal night?

cruzanisfun

Hello all! I am going on RCCL mid-December and wonder if a pair of burgundy velvet pants will suffice for formal night if worn with nice heels and a dressy top. Also, velvet is always appropriate in the winter, but what about on a cruise ship in the Caribbean? Thanks.

Hello all! I am going on RCCL mid-December and wonder if a pair of burgundy velvet pants will suffice for formal night if worn with nice heels and a dressy top. Also, velvet is always appropriate in the winter, but what about on a cruise ship in the Caribbean? Thanks.

I think it would definitely be appropriate. And even though it's the Caribbean, December is the season for velvet, and keep in mind it's very air conditioned indoors.

I think it will be perfect to wear around the holidays.

^ I actually agree with Kristi. I really like velvet and I wear a shimmery black velvet cardigan during the holidays, but I feel velvet pants are too hot for a tropical cruise to the Caribbean. I don't know... maybe simple dress pants, not made of velvet? Is it within your budget to splurge on a new outfit for formal night?

Sorry, I mean no offense, but you did ask for opinions. I'm sure you will look lovely though, should you choose to wear them.

I think ordinarily, velvet and Caribbean are oxymorons, but in THIS case it just may work simply because it will be mid-December and the ship will more than likely have some Christmas decor going on and many passengers will be very much in the festive holiday mood at that point with Christmas only a week or so away. I would think your burgundy velvet pants would be well-received on RCCL in the spirit of the holiday season. :D I can totally picture a beautiful pair of burgundy (lightweight) velvet slacks with a white feminine ruffled blouse (something like below) and some bling-bling jewelry and strappy heels as a perfect December holiday cruise outfit!

Lauren%20Ralph%20Lauren%20Ruffle%20blouse.jpg

I think ordinarily, velvet and Caribbean are oxymorons, but in THIS case it just may work simply because it will be mid-December and the ship will more than likely have some Christmas decor going on and many passengers will be very much in the festive holiday mood at that point with Christmas only a week or so away. I would think your burgundy velvet pants would be well-received on RCCL in the spirit of the holiday season. :D I can totally picture a beautiful pair of burgundy (lightweight) velvet slacks with a white feminine ruffled blouse (something like below) and some bling-bling jewelry and strappy heels as a perfect December holiday cruise outfit!

Lauren%20Ralph%20Lauren%20Ruffle%20blouse.jpg

I agree. Burgandy velvet slacks will look great, particularly with a light-colored blouse like above. It would be perfect for cruising around holiday time.

Thanks everyone for your opinions! I appreciate it! There are going to be 2 formal nights. I already have a dress for one of them, and we may just skip the 2nd one and eat at Johnny Rockets or something. In case we do decide to participate in the 2nd formal night though, I was trying to figure out if I could get away without having to buy something. :-) I will give the velvet pants thing some more thought....

or ... you could wear the same dress both formal nights ... with different accessories to change it a bit

I wore the same dress on all 3 formal nights on one cruise, don't think anyone noticed, didn't care if they did!!

PS - the title of this thread caught my eye - where I live, Burgundy Pants means only one thing - Redskins!

Sure you can. Sounds very festive. Next month to Canada/NE I'm wearing black velvet trousers with a cream lace tunic on one formal night, and the same trousers with a black chiffon blouse over a satin tank the other night, with a pair of suedey-velvety flats. Comfy! All those old rules are silly; they ought to be happy I'm dressing formally at all (albeit my outfit really amounts to little more than velvet sweatpants and a lace tee-shirt dressed up with a modest amount of bling!)

Archived