Time and Date Change

pedirn

Okay this is going to seem strange to some of you...especially those who have travelled to this area before. I know there is a time change and also we cross the dateline. Having a heck of a time trying to figure out if you are ahead or behind Florida.... Trying to figure out what day to get airfare for and what day we will arrive on. We want to try and get to Sydney a day or two before ship sails. But don't want to mess up trying to figure out arrival dates. Please help me.

Chris

That is a great clock that Kiwi Kruizer has included. Whenever you travel West, you lose time and when you travel East you gain time.

Therefore when you leave the West coast of the U.S. you will lose a day so allow for extra time in Sydney. Returning home you will gain a day. Hope this helps your confusion.

Jennie

But don't want to mess up trying to figure out arrival dates. Please help me.
The most important thing to remember is that if you fly across the Pacific from the US to Australia, you will cross the Date Line and "lose" a day as you do that. A flight that leaves Los Angeles on Monday evening will fly for about 14 hours to Sydney and arrive early the next morning - but because of the Date Line it will actually be Wednesday morning not Tuesday.

Therefore, when you start planning, allow an extra day - then when you've put an itinerary together, see if the flights you've picked get you in to Sydney when you really wanted to be.

Archived