Advice on choosing a cabin on Silver Wind

Alldee

Hi, We are going on our first ever cruise from Mumbai to the Seychelles in December, on the Silver Wind. We have booked a Veranda Balcony cabin, but the one allocated is rather near the front of the ship 615, and we are worried that this will not be a good position for 'possibly' seasick travellers! We have been offered a cabin on deck 523 instead, but could anyone tell us whether this would be a mistake given that it is on a lower deck - although nearer midship? There are suggestions that a lower deck is noisier - is this true? This is so important to us, as it will either make or break our plans for cruising in the future! Any advice much appreciated. Thank you in anticipation. Alldee

You are moving roughly 4 cabins toward the center of the ship. Maybe 35-40 feet. And maybe 10 feet or less in elevation. If that little distance is going to matter in terms of seasickness, perhaps you shouldn't be on an ocean-crossing itinerary -- IMO, that's not really going to be of significance. The Wind is a compact ship. Being in 523 will bring you a bit more hallway traffic than 615, though in practical terms the difference is negligible. 523 is closer to the forward elevator and stairwell if that matters to you.

Thank you, it sounds as though we should stick with the 615. Maybe you are right and we should not be on this cruise, but it is our first one and we want to get it as right as possible! We will just take the medication (if necessary!!)

Thank you, it sounds as though we should stick with the 615. Maybe you are right and we should not be on this cruise, but it is our first one and we want to get it as right as possible! We will just take the medication (if necessary!!)

Hi Alldee

If you are up at the front of the ship, you also get noise from the anchor so you need to be aware of that. I get seasick myself and although I always end up with a forward cabin, I've found that lower decks are better.

HTH.

Cheers

ging466

We have been offered a cabin on deck 523 instead, but could anyone tell us whether this would be a mistake given that it is on a lower deck - although nearer midship? There are suggestions that a lower deck is noisier - is this true? . Alldee

523 is a great location. We just got off the Wind and were in cabin 425 (wish we'd had a balcony!) and even though we were right across from the stairwell and crew entrance, we never heard a sound. There are so few people on this ship, I can't imagine it's a problem ever. It is very handy being close to the stairwell (there is no elevator with the forward stairwell). Have fun!

Thank you. We have been offered 523 and 525, which are nearer midship but on a lower deck. From the replies so far, it seems that these would be a good locations - although 525 appears to be next to the stair well. The one we have at present is 615. It sounds as though there would be more noise from the anchor nearer the front than there would be from the stairwell! Have you travelled on Silver Wind? Alldee

Hi ging466, so I think you are also saying the cabin on lower deck would be best?Alldee

Hi Alldee

If you know that you get seasick, yes go for the lower deck and as midship as possible. I wouldn't worry about being near the stairs, it's not like there is a heap of people traffic like on the big ships. The Wind is small.

I was on the Whisper and I had Vista 411 which was right at the front and there was anchor noise although I'm not bothered by mechanical noises. If I had my choice of your cabins, I'd go for the lower deck.

Make sure you take your medication though, just in case. I take mine always, even in calm seas - I'm not a very good sailor.:)

Cheers

ging466

Hi ging466, Thanks again, you have certainly made up my mind now! Incidentally, as you say you are a poor sailor also, what medication do you find most effective, and do you take it automatically, or do you wait until you feel ill!! Sorry to be a pain, but we are so green! (Not literally, I hope!!) Thank you. Alldee

Hi ging466, Thanks again, you have certainly made up my mind now! Incidentally, as you say you are a poor sailor also, what medication do you find most effective, and do you take it automatically, or do you wait until you feel ill!! Sorry to be a pain, but we are so green! (Not literally, I hope!!) Thank you. Alldee

Hi Alldee

There are many different types of medication, pills, patches, seabands etc.

I use something called KWELLS but they are Australian. Go to your local pharmacy and ask. I have also used the bands (around your wrists) and I hated them and they didn't work - some people swear by them. I'm a pill popper:) but there is a downside to all the medications - they make you drowsy and can affect your eyesight - for me tho, it's better than being sick. Seasickness is debilitating.:mad:

You have to take the pills 30 mins before you start moving. You have to get it into your system and then keep topping it up.

You can also get pills from reception on the ship or if you are really off the planet sick, get an injection from the ship's doctor.

HTH

Cheers

ging466

Hi ging466

We can get Kwells in England too, so will get stocked up! Just read a couple of your reviews, and you seem very enthusiastic about Silversea, so you have made us even more excited about the trip. Cheers Alldee

Hi ging466 We can get Kwells in England too, so will get stocked up! Just read a couple of your reviews, and you seem very enthusiastic about Silversea, so you have made us even more excited about the trip. Cheers Alldee

Hi Alldee

I hope the Kwells will work for you....everyone is different. I have only been on 1 SS cruise so far and I loved it. Would you believe that I almost booked your cruise but then decided I wanted to go on the new Silver Spirit instead....but I have to wait until October next year:(

You are certainly setting the bar high....first cruise and on SS...you will be so spoilt:D

Have a wonderful time.

Cheers

ging466

Hi, My husband has never been keen on a cruise, so I am trying to convert him - hence the choice of SS and the need to get the right cabin and medication! Sorry you did not book the same cruise - I would have liked to have met you! Look forward to your review of the Spirit - it sounds very special. Regards Alldee

This sounds like the itinerary that was changed from Africa/Seychelles and is the redo of the one we were booked on before we switched (we did a lot of what is now the itinerary in 12/07 on Whisper).

Wind is a fabulous ship, and you will have lots to see and do. As others have said, I would be more worried about the anchor than movement.

Hi, Thanks for you input. There are some negtive comments about the Wind, i.e. poor food and not much going on, but you seem to disagree with this. We have changed our cabin to 523, so are not as near the front now and this should solve the noise from the anchor! You say you had done a lot of this itinerary in 12/07. Do you have any comments to make about it? What was the weather like in December - we have noticed that it can be quite wet in the Seychelles at that time. We are going to extend our cruise by staying at the Banyan Tree Seychelles over Christmas. Did you go there? Regards |Alldee

We had planned to do Africa/Seychelles and stay in Banyan Tree, but since that Africa part changed and we had already done Mumbai, etc. we switched out. It looks like you must have done 2937C vs. 2937, and it is Dubai, the UAE and Mumbai we had experience with because we were not going to Seychelles this year without going to Mombasa and all that. We had booked two years ago and then they changed on us.

Anyway, I've booked people into Banyan, and we were staying there. I would not go all the way over there w/o experiencing it. There are a couple of other nice choices, though with some stunning room views. I would not wait on booking something if you have not because a lot of people stay over on those Seychelles itineraries, and the math gets scary if you don't get a room set up.

Regarding Mumbai, we did a ship's tour with a lot of the touristy spots - Taj Mahal, dobie ghats, Ghandi museum, Gateway to India, shopping, etc. We encountered lots of beggars. Are you staying over in India?

Several other CCers have done the Seychelles and have some good tips.

Hi, Yes, we have booked the Banyan Tree - a rock pool villa I think! We were just a little worried about the weather, as we plan to stay for a week! I read that there is more rain there in December than in England!! Yes, we are doing the 2937C. It all started because my husband wanted to do the Golden Triangle, then go on to a restful holiday ie the cruise. We are staying in Delhi - The Imperial, Agra Oberoi Amarvilas, Jaipur Rajvilas and Mumbai Taj Mahal Palace and Tower. Week in all, and of course joining the ship in Mumbai. It is a real blow out for us, so it has to be good!! I am very new to CC, can you tell me how to find the tips from others about the Seychelles - I keep losing everything when I try to navigate!! Thank you Alldee

I always kept a big supply of ground ginger capsules on board my 36' sailing yacht and they would be great preventative against sea sickness. You can buy them at any health food store and I advise swallowing 4 when you board and continue taking them if you feel atall nauseous. It is not a drug but a natural way to tame the malady and it really works.:)

Well thank you! I will get a supply of ginger capsules (which worked for me when I went to the Great Barrier Reef on a catamaran) as I would much prefer them to drugs. However, I will probably take a supply of Kwells as well - just in case!!

Thanks Edina, we have just rung our travel agents and asked them to change to deck 5. Where have you been on the Wind? Deex

Never been on the Wind, but after sailing across the Bay of Biscay on the Cloud in 611, we thought we would change for our subsequent transatlantic on her, and chose 541 - midship & low down. We felt less movement on that trip than on a recent Queen Mary 2 crossing!

SW18, The Bay of Biscay is notorious for roughness, has to do with the fact it's not too deep. In ships the size of Silversea's current fleet your cabin location probably will not make a difference in the comfort of your tummy. What you take may! We are doing Cape Horn in Dec. '10 and actually moved up and forward because the view will be better and if it is rough 100 feet further aft or 50 feet lower won't matter that much-rough is rough particularly at the Cape.

Archived