H1N1 and cruising...

crazycruzer68

What do you base this observation on? On the fact that we have only had the first wave of it so far? First waves of any new flu are always mild.

This particular flu is more dangerous to a segment of the population that the regular flu rarely poses a risk to.

Yes, it is different indeed. I would love to see your research where it says that this flu will remain milder than the regular flu.

It's not my research. I get updates from the CDC and WHO in my emails on a weekly basis. The current recommendation from those organizations is that it is not even necessary to treat confirmed uncomplicated cases of H1N1 in patients not belonging to high risk groups (elderly, infants, immune compromised).

I am a registered nurse with a BSN from NMU.

Here's an article about Vit D that's really interesting. www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/vitamin-d-and-h1n1-swine-flu.shtml/

Vitamin D and H1N1 Swine Flu

This is an announcement to alert readers to a crucial email I received from a physician who has evidence vitamin D is protective against H1N1. I ask you, the reader, to contact your representatives in Washington to help protect Americans, especially children, from H1N1 before winter comes.

Dr. Cannell: Your recent newsletters and video about Swine flu (H1N1) prompted me to convey our recent experience with an H1N1 outbreak at Central Wisconsin Center (CWC). Unfortunately, the state epidemiologist was not interested in studying it further so I pass it on to you since I think it is noteworthy.

CWC is a long-term care facility for people with developmental disabilities, home for approx. 275 people with approx. 800 staff. Serum 25-OHD has been monitored in virtually all residents for several years and patients supplemented with vitamin D.

In June, 2009, at the time of the well-publicized Wisconsin spike in H1N1 cases, two residents developed influenza-like illness (ILI) and had positive tests for H1N1: one was a long-term resident; the other, a child, was transferred to us with what was later proven to be H1N1.

On the other hand, 60 staff members developed ILI or were documented to have H1N1: of 17 tested for ILI, eight were positive. An additional 43 staff members called in sick with ILI. (Approx. 11–12 staff developed ILI after working on the unit where the child was given care, several of whom had positive H1N1 tests.)

So, it is rather remarkable that only two residents of 275 developed ILI, one of which did not develop it here, while 103 of 800 staff members had ILI. It appears that the spread of H1N1 was not from staff-to-resident but from resident-to-staff (most obvious in the imported case) and between staff, implying that staff were susceptible and our residents protected. Sincerely,

Norris Glick, MD

Central Wisconsin Center

Madison, WI

Dr. Cannell: Thanks for your update about the hospital in Wisconsin. I have had similar anecdotal evidence from my medical practice here in Georgia. We are one of the 5 states with widespread H1N1 outbreaks.

I share an office with another family physician. I aggressively measure and replete vitamin D. He does not. He is seeing one to 10 cases per week of influenza-like illness.

In my practice— I have had zero cases. My patients are universally on 2000–5000 IU to maintain serum levels 50–80 ng/ml.

Ellie Campbell, DO

Campbell Family Medicine

3925 Johns Creek Court Ste A

Suwannee GA 30024

Hand washing and general good hygiene are the most important things. I understand the H1N1 affects people in no worse a way than the seasonal flu, it just spreads faster.

Definitely not a reason to be all worried about the cruise. If you follow the precautions you will be very, very unlikely to catch the flu. If somehow you do get it, unless you have a weak immune system, you'll have some miserable days in bed, but will otherwise be fine.

We cruise in 10 days...and count me in the "worried about someone getting sick BEFORE we sail" group! It drives me crazy that people keep saying not to worry and you will be fine after a few days in bed. Well, if that "day in bed" happens to fall on either the day I need to board an airplane or the ship...guess what, I'm not going on the cruise I've looked forward to for so long. Then, add the fact that there are 6 people in our group and 2 of them are school age kids (don't worry, it's a Fall break for us). The odds get better that one of us will get sick BEFORE the cruise.

After we get back, I couldn't care less. I'll be sick for a week if need be ;)

But, I do appreciate the comments about the preventative stuff. I'm going to start us all on either Airborne or Emergen-C. And, I've got my fingers crossed! If it's "meant to be", it will be :)

Also, interestingly, we have had a number of H1N1 cases in our neighborhood/school district. Overwhelmingly, it appears that it's NOT that easy to catch. In every case I personally know about, only 1 person in the family got sick. No one else caught it from that person. So, it doesn't appear to be more easily spread than the usual flu.

Yes, there is always the chance that you will get stricken on the day you board. That's why everyone should have insurance, if the loss of the cruise could not be easliy replaced. With insurance, worst case, you use up your vacation time as sick time instead, file a claim, and go on a cruise for the next vacation.

We came close on our last cruise. DW started puking heavily the night before sailaway. Did not sleep much, and we were all worried it was a virus and she would not be getting on - runing the trip for 4 of us.

Turned out to be food poisioning instead, and she felt very run down, but much better for boarding, after she emptied the digestive system entirely. By the first sea day she was nearly 100%.

If H1N1 strikes on a cruise, the passenger will be confined to the cabin for the duration of the illness and for 24 hours after the fever ends. That would really bite, especially for an inside cabin! Probably lose half the cruise. :( Plus insurance would not help you in that case. You are not going to get your cruise days back unless you are sick enough to warrant going to a hospital off the ship. That would be a real mess, but most people would not need a hospital.

We're seeing H1N1 all over, people dropping like flies. Some doctors are not even reporting it for a determination anymore because 90% of the flu cases are H1N1.

Good news is once you get it, you are immune thereafter. So I hope I get it soon, if I am going to get it. That would be expensive because I don't get paid if I don't work. But what will be, will be.

Or maybe the vaccine comes out real soon.

I get a "regular" flu shot every year and haven't had the flu in about 4 years, but I remember vividly how I felt. The preventative measures are so important, especially washing your hands and we carry the sanitizer every where we go. I have to admit that we were supposed to travel to Mexico in May, before they changed our itinerary and I had my doctor call in tamiflu for myself and my husband. We didn't need it, so it will get packed this time just in case. Doesn't cure the flu, but it does minimize the symptoms. I am so looking forward to sailing on the new Dream, fear could not keep me off!

Last I heard was that the H1N1 vaccine may be available around mid-October to the public, but that's just an estimate. Unlike other flu shots, it sounds like the US government will likely be the sole distributor of the H1N1 vaccine in the US this fall.

One of the concerns I've heard is that they are afraid the strain will either mutate and become worse, or combine with another strain of the flu so that the vaccine won't be as effective.

One of the concerns I've heard is that they are afraid the strain will either mutate and become worse, or combine with another strain of the flu so that the vaccine won't be as effective.

The inhalable vaccine, which contains live virus and requires a younger age, will be first to market. The injectable form will be later, no one is saying exactly when because the quality control is still ongoing.

A mutation could happen at any time. So could a lot of other things. I just don't worry about them.

So far, the virus has not mutated much from the strain the vaccine was planned for, so it should be very effective against the strain going around now. That's good news.

Yes, there is always the chance that you will get stricken on the day you board. That's why everyone should have insurance, if the loss of the cruise could not be easliy replaced. With insurance, worst case, you use up your vacation time as sick time instead, file a claim, and go on a cruise for the next vacation.

Seeing the swine flu was declared a pandemic, travel insurance will not cover it nor any canceled travel plans due to it.

It's not my research. I get updates from the CDC and WHO in my emails on a weekly basis. The current recommendation from those organizations is that it is not even necessary to treat confirmed uncomplicated cases of H1N1 in patients not belonging to high risk groups (elderly, infants, immune compromised).

I am a registered nurse with a BSN from NMU.

Of course you do not treat uncomplicated cases of the flu. That was not my point. I am glad you are a nurse, but please read up on this flu.

I received my "seasonal" flu shot today and will, if available to me, receive the H1N1 vaccine. We have been told that as ,of latest update, it will be available to us(Board of Education employees) by mid-October.

My MAIN concern (after the health issues) is that ships will be denied entry to ports(this happened frequently last Spring). I do enjoy sea days, but not all 7 of them. I've waited too long to visit some of these ports, and I would be terribly disappointed to miss them. Does anyone know if Carnival(as well as other lines) have any "plan of action" with the flu season(seasonal and H1N1) knocking on our doors?

Of course you do not treat uncomplicated cases of the flu. That was not my point. I am glad you are a nurse, but please read up on this flu.

I think the best advice I have read on this thread is boosting your immune system so that your body can do naturally what it does best. The person you are quoting said she receives weekly e-mails from the CDC-isn't that reading up on the flu? We must as a society become responsible for our own health. . I for one, took note of the advice on this thread from a doctor to up my vitamin D intake to give my body the boost it needs to stay healthy. those of you worrying about getting sick, thoughts are things! Start thinking about being in the best possible health, take preventive measures-this is being proactive in your own health. Just my two cents worth!

Pat

I think the best advice I have read on this thread is boosting your immune system so that your body can do naturally what it does best. The person you are quoting said she receives weekly e-mails from the CDC-isn't that reading up on the flu? We must as a society become responsible for our own health. . I for one, took note of the advice on this thread from a doctor to up my vitamin D intake to give my body the boost it needs to stay healthy. those of you worrying about getting sick, thoughts are things! Start thinking about being in the best possible health, take preventive measures-this is being proactive in your own health. Just my two cents worth!

Pat

Amen!

Speaking of information and research Lisichka.... You (and others) may want to take a moment and read this article. It contains a lot of interesting information on the ingredients of this flu vaccine as well as the testing that was done/not done in an effort to expedite it's release. Obviously, people can do what they want, but I prefer "informed consent".

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/09/17/Many-Health-Workers-Wont-Take-Swine-Flu-Vaccine.aspx

Seeing the swine flu was declared a pandemic, travel insurance will not cover it nor any canceled travel plans due to it.

The policy probably states that it won't cover pandemics if people purchase insurance AFTER the pandemic is declared.

If your insurance was not going to cover the unforeseen, what good is it? People would just cancel it before their trip starts and get a refund. They would not want people to do that so they will cover swine flu if you purchased it early. Probably varies by policy so read the fine print.

The insurance that we purchased specifically does not cover H1N1.

I wonder how the insurance companies are going to respond if I get the H1N1 and it is not "diagnosed" as H1N1, but my Dr says no to my cruise. It seems that many Drs are not testing for it unless a person gets extremely sick. After you are well there is no way to test if it was H1N1 or not.:confused:

This is true. It spreads more easily, but is much milder than regular flu in most people who contract it.

People need to stop freaking out, and the press need to stop whipping them up.

Oh dear. I'm not sure what to say. I just attended the funeral of a wonderful 19 year old girl. She contracted H1N1. It certainly is not milder than the regular flu. I believe the press reports on this because it is a serious issue.

Oh dear. I'm not sure what to say. I just attended the funeral of a wonderful 19 year old girl. She contracted H1N1. It certainly is not milder than the regular flu. I believe the press reports on this because it is a serious issue.

Yeah, we've had college kids contracting it and dying from it over this way.

According to Dr. Oz last week it's Vitamin D and yogurt ... sorry, I don't remember the dosage but you can check his website. :)

This is good news. I drink a glass of vitamin D fortified milk and eat a yogurt everyday.

I haven't had the flu in years and the past 2 years I didn't get a flu shot.

Also, the past 2 times I got a cold was when I was on vacation and not eating like I should (my milk and yogurt everyday).

Archived