Isla Grande Airport

O2B@Cagain

It is "right there", but it is surrounded by a fence. I think the entrance is not on the same road as the cruise terminal, so it may be a long walk around the perimeter of the airport to the entrance. But don't quote me on that.

Either way it is close-less than 1 mile. I don't know if the taxis would want to get out of line for such a small fare,but you can ask. email the cab company- the yhave a website- http://www.cabsps.com

rainforestgirl: We had a problem with the taxi driver in Puerto Rico the last cruise we were on. At the terminal we told the dispatcher we were going to the sea plane, but the driver didn't understand. Once he did, he started yelling at us. The fare wasn't enough, I guess. Thanks for the website! ;-)

rainforestgirl: We had a problem with the taxi driver in Puerto Rico the last cruise we were on. At the terminal we told the dispatcher we were going to the sea plane, but the driver didn't understand. Once he did, he started yelling at us. The fare wasn't enough, I guess. Thanks for the website! ;-)

oops- the website should be http://www.cabspr.com

To clarify:

Seaborne airlines is not at the moment flying seaplanes from Pier 6 in Old San Juan to Saint Thomas. Pier 6 and most the piers east along the San Antonio channel (just northof / a stone's throw across from where the Adventure of the Seas docks) are closed due to the redeveolpment of the San Juan waterfront.

In teh meantime Seaborne Airlines is flying wheeled Twin Otters from the Isla Grande Airport. The Isla Grande airport is a small executive/commuter airport five miles west of SJU, and right next to the Pan American pier. Everybody who has had a port cabin on the Adventure has seen this airport.

If you land at Isla Grande for some reason (Seaborne, small puddle jumper airline or private aircraft), it is a long walk around the airport perimeter to where the Adventure docks. The runway is 5,000 feet long so you'll walk at least that to the Pan American pier.

There are taxis there most times, but for such a short ride they'll probably charge you a minimum of $10.00 plus luggage fees.

For a historical good-to-know tid bit, the Isla Grande airport was Puerto Rico's first international airport. The Pan Am Clippers used it as a hub. Amelia Earhardt and Charles Lindbergh landed there during their adventures. The road along the south side of the airport runway is named in honor of Lucky Lindy.

Archived