Asking for bridge tour for special occasion - any luck?

hightownCO

My daughter will turn 16 on our next cruise -didn't plan it but just worked out that way. I thought I might ask for a bridge tour as a Princess birthday present. I certainly realize that probably won't be able to but also thought it won't hurt to ask. We'll be in Naples on her birthday and there will be very few teens on the ship.

Has anyone done this with success? Who would you recommend I ask or send a note to - Purser? Captain Circle rep?

Has anyone been able to be on the bridge as the ship is sailing from port?

My daughter will turn 16 on our next cruise -didn't plan it but just worked out that way. I thought I might ask for a bridge tour as a Princess birthday present. I certainly realize that probably won't be able to but also thought it won't hurt to ask. We'll be in Naples on her birthday and there will be very few teens on the ship.

Has anyone done this with success? Who would you recommend I ask or send a note to - Purser? Captain Circle rep?

Has anyone been able to be on the bridge as the ship is sailing from port?

A short cordial note to the Capt and given to the pursers desk may do the trick. ;)

As above. We wrote a nice letter addressed to the Captain (typed it out prior to leaving home) and handed it to the purser on the first day. We were invited on a sea day. It was wonderful. They allow you to take pictures, but not video due to security concerns, and ask that you keep your visit to the bridge private and not inform everyone on the ship.

I would write a courteous note to the Captain and hand it to the Captain's Circle hostess who sees him every day to discuss the needs of his Circle members. At the same time discuss it with the CC hostess. Be nice to her and she will do all she can to help out!

We were a group of 9 with 3 couples celebrating anniveraries (5, 30, and 35 years). It was the first cruise for 7 of us. My daughter sent a short note to the Captain the day we boarded. We were pleasantly surprised when we were notified that we could go on a bridge tour.

The tour was held while we were in one of the ports. There were probably a total of 20 of us for the tour. We had to go through a security check before being allowed on the bridge. The Captain wasn't on the bridge but the staff (only 2) were very nice. They explained the different equipment and answered everyones questions. There was plenty of time to look at everything, it wasn't rushed at all. We were allowed to take pictures and sit in the Captain's chair. It was very cool! Kids and adults enjoyed it.

I don't know how many tours there were but know there was at least two more. One of the families we met on our roll call went at a different time. My daughter, son-in-law, and son couldn't go on our tour because they were on an excursion at the time. They were lucky and got to go on a different tour.

Thanks for sharing your experience and tips. We'll be off ship whenever it's in port so if we do get lucky enough to be invited, hopefully it will be a sea day. I'll somehow work in that it's our first trip to Europe/Med and how we're looking foward to seeing everything in ports.

I like the idea of giving it to the Captains Circle Host so can explain the reason. Will get my note ready before hand and do it the first day we board!

We really enjoyed the Ultimate Ship tour which is great way to tour the bridge. But I am not so sure it would be that interesting for a 16 year old. Our DD just turned 16. She did not do the Ultimate Tour with us. Now, if you could score a bridge tour just for her and her friends from the teen center or a special dance night for them...or if she is into theatre, see about a special backstage tour. The Captain's CIrcle hostess should be a big help but also you may want to let the head of teen activities know so they can do something too.

I'd like to try this as well. My husband is in the Navy and I know he would love this, so I'm going to try and surprise him. This is probably a stupid question, but do you think mentioning the fact that DH is in the Navy would help or hurt our chances? Perhaps it wouldn't even matter at all. I'm just worried the captain would think, "Oh, he's already seen all this so it would be a waste of time."

I'd like to try this as well. My husband is in the Navy and I know he would love this, so I'm going to try and surprise him. This is probably a stupid question, but do you think mentioning the fact that DH is in the Navy would help or hurt our chances? Perhaps it wouldn't even matter at all. I'm just worried the captain would think, "Oh, he's already seen all this so it would be a waste of time."

Good thing to mention. :)

If he was in the Navy, he may really enjoy the Ultimate Ship Tour. Sure you have to pay for it but he will get to go to the Engine Control Room and talk to the Cheif Engineer, and he will get to go up in the stacks, and then also visit the bridge. Plus you get to go to lots of other areas passengers never usually get to go to. On our tour there were 7 people 5 of whom were men and 4 of those were engineers. They had a blast!

Colo Cruiser, I'll take your advise and give the note to the Purser. I trust your experience.

I do plan on telling the Teen director when we register her (without DD knowing of course!)

Ultimate Ships Tour is not in the budget.

Thanks again!

Colo Cruiser, I'll take your advise and give the note to the Purser. I trust your experience.

I do plan on telling the Teen director when we register her (without DD knowing of course!)

Ultimate Ships Tour is not in the budget.

Thanks again!

I agree, no need to add more people in the loop. ;)

Chatting with the Chief Officer may be another route . . . Captains are generally pretty busy, and on many ships it's the Chief Officer who will make the decision and for a pretty sixteen-year-old . . . who can refuse?

Regards, Richard

Hey Rich I thought the Captain was the Chief Officer? :D

If he was in the Navy, he may really enjoy the Ultimate Ship Tour. Sure you have to pay for it but he will get to go to the Engine Control Room and talk to the Cheif Engineer, and he will get to go up in the stacks, and then also visit the bridge. Plus you get to go to lots of other areas passengers never usually get to go to. On our tour there were 7 people 5 of whom were men and 4 of those were engineers. They had a blast!

How do i find out about the Ultimate ship tour, where do you go to sign up and what is the estimated cost of this tour. I love this kind of stuff

How do i find out about the Ultimate ship tour, where do you go to sign up and what is the estimated cost of this tour. I love this kind of stuff

Go to the Pursers desk ASAP after boarding to get your name on the list.

It sells out fast as they only take 10-12 people.

It is $175 PP. There are free photos along the way and lots of free gifts.

I wrote to the Captain on our first day of the cruise on the CB in August last year and handed it in at the Passenger Services desk. I wanted to surprise our friends who were cruising with us for the first time and our 17 year old DD. A few days later were had a letter from the captain inviting us to report to security by a certain elevator and not to tell anyone else about it. When we got to the elevator there were about a dozen other passengers and security. It was amazing the number of other passengers who saw us collected and wanted to know what was going on and what they were missing. We had an enjoyable hour or so on the bridge with the 2 officers of the watch. Dumbest question asked by one of the fellow tourers to the officer "so how much of the $10 a day tips do you get"

It was a great experience

Terry

Archived