Viking Sky or Uniworld Beatrice - HELP Appreciated

Mylisa

Hi all!

This will be our first river cruise. There will be 12 of us. We've narrowed it down to the Viking Sky or the Uniworld Beatrice. We are able to get the Sky for 2 cat. C, 3 cat D and 1 cat E for $4,000 less than the Beatrice five cabin cat. 4 and one cat. 5 cabin. Iteneraries are bascially the same.

Any thoughts on the 2 ships the $ savings and the categories listed above for each ship?

I can't find a review of the Sky. Has anyone been on this ship?

All thoughts are welcome and greatly appreciated.

At the top of the page there is a link "reviews". Click on that link and than make your way to the Viking River reviews. I found 1 review of the Viking Sky on there from July 2009.. Do not confuse it with the Viking Century Sky,different ship.

Uniworld is offering 2 for 1 deals now if paid for by 9/30.Go to their web site to see if the cruise you want is in the 2 for 1 deals.You don't say which cruise you are interested in.I am sure you could get the same info over the phone with Uniworld.I have only river cruised with Avalon but I am looking at Uniworld for our next river cruise as they always have very good reviews. I can't say the same about Viking.

So noone out there has any specific info on the Viking Sky? Mainly how nice the cabins are,is there a difference in the cabin scategories, how nice are the crew members, are the tours good. We have cabin categories C, D and E.

The one review that Letsgo found was written in July 09 and there wasn't much written on the cabins at all.

We are looking at the Danube Waltz for Viking and the Enchanting Danube on Uniworld.

From your internet browser do a Google search for the Viking Sky pictures of cabins. I did and found MANY pictures on the internet and descriptions of the cabins and the other information you are looking for.

Have you tried using the search function on here? I know that there have been several posts regarding all the Viking boats but you might have to look for them.Also did you go to the Viking Web Site? I am sure the information will be on there also. I am sure someone will come along that has been on THe Sky but it might take a little time.In the meantime try the suggestions I have already made.

Mylisa,

We cruised on the Sun this spring from Antwerp-Basel. All the cabins are the same size. The price difference is for location. The boat is really too big--docks in industrial areas and not always downtown. There is no elevator. Dining room on main deck and lounge on deck above. There did not appear to be enough crew. The CD was very green and it showed. The dining room functioned very well. The Maitre'd had been on the Schumann and very good. The staff seemed spread rather thin. The boat looked like it needed refurbishing. The cabins on the lowest deck are VERY noisey--plumbingwise. We sailed with 198 pax and toured on 5 crowded buses. We met wonderful people and even tho we had been to some of the cities before the guides had a different perspective. When you travel with a large group on a river cruise with one seating for dinner you might not always be able to sit together.

Uniworld is definitely a step up from Viking. The Beatrice is new. We have travelled with U. 6 times and their attention to detail is remarkable. On returning from tour we were greeted with cold drinks, cold towels and even ice cream cones. There is an elevator. You might take a good look at what is included on each line. Uniworld has free wine and beer with dinner, Viking no. In Rudesheim next year, the music museum will be optional with Viking. Uniworld has dining on the sundeck weather permitting. Viking no. Uniworld has bikes, Viking no. On Uniworld the CD is an independent contractor, so works very hard for his/her salary--your tips. On Viking, they are salaried, paid by the company.

If you have a TA, get her/him to make these comparisons for you. You can do it yourself on a day by day itinerary of each cruise. Good luck. Pat

Mylisa,

We cruised on the Sun this spring from Antwerp-Basel. All the cabins are the same size. The price difference is for location. The boat is really too big--docks in industrial areas and not always downtown. There is no elevator. Dining room on main deck and lounge on deck above. There did not appear to be enough crew. The CD was very green and it showed. The dining room functioned very well. The Maitre'd had been on the Schumann and very good. The staff seemed spread rather thin. The boat looked like it needed refurbishing. The cabins on the lowest deck are VERY noisey--plumbingwise. We sailed with 198 pax and toured on 5 crowded buses. We met wonderful people and even tho we had been to some of the cities before the guides had a different perspective. When you travel with a large group on a river cruise with one seating for dinner you might not always be able to sit together.

Uniworld is definitely a step up from Viking. The Beatrice is new. We have travelled with U. 6 times and their attention to detail is remarkable. On returning from tour we were greeted with cold drinks, cold towels and even ice cream cones. There is an elevator. You might take a good look at what is included on each line. Uniworld has free wine and beer with dinner, Viking no. In Rudesheim next year, the music museum will be optional with Viking. Uniworld has dining on the sundeck weather permitting. Viking no. Uniworld has bikes, Viking no. On Uniworld the CD is an independent contractor, so works very hard for his/her salary--your tips. On Viking, they are salaried, paid by the company.

If you have a TA, get her/him to make these comparisons for you. You can do it yourself on a day by day itinerary of each cruise. Good luck. Pat

Pat, Did you mean that you sailed on the Sky or were you just telling me your experience with Viking on a different ship?

The cost difference at this time is that Viking is $4,000 cheaper than the Uniworld. That can rent a lot of bikes. That can also pay for some of our air costs. So we're completely torn. Since we've heard iffy things about Viking and nothing bad about Uniworld. However also Uniworld spends one day on the river where Viking stops at ports every day. We can't make up our minds but need to do so immediately.

Any thoughts?

Sorry, but our experience was with Viking on the Sun. Are you saying you are saving 4000 per person or for the whole group overall? If overall, it comes out almost even with all the included with Uniworld. If it is 4000 per person, then it is a nobrainer!!! I am very reluctant to travel with Viking on the rivers of Europe. China and Russia are a different story. Good luck, river cruising is adicting. We leave for our 9th next Monday with 2 more planned next year. Pat

Sorry, but our experience was with Viking on the Sun. Are you saying you are saving 4000 per person or for the whole group overall? If overall, it comes out almost even with all the included with Uniworld. If it is 4000 per person, then it is a nobrainer!!! I am very reluctant to travel with Viking on the rivers of Europe. China and Russia are a different story. Good luck, river cruising is adicting. We leave for our 9th next Monday with 2 more planned next year. Pat

It's $4000 total for the group of 11 of us. However, since we are booking as a group we are getting free wine with dinner. That's all the perks we're getting besides the $4000 discount. We were thinking that the $4000 would pay for almost 3 peoples airfare.

Do you still think we should go on Uniworld?

I personally would not travel on the Sky. It is definitely your decision. The wine is a very small carafe, no refills. If you like good wine or beer with dinner, then you will be buying it on Viking. The Sky is the sister to the Sun. The Sun holds almost 200 people--really to big for a comfortable river cruise. Maybe you shouldn't pool the cost and divide it--maybe each couple should make up their own minds. You haven't said where the trip is--might make a difference. As always, good luck. Try reading other posts about Viking in general and Uniworld in general. Pat

I personally would not travel on the Sky. It is definitely your decision. The wine is a very small carafe, no refills. If you like good wine or beer with dinner, then you will be buying it on Viking. The Sky is the sister to the Sun. The Sun holds almost 200 people--really to big for a comfortable river cruise. Maybe you shouldn't pool the cost and divide it--maybe each couple should make up their own minds. You haven't said where the trip is--might make a difference. As always, good luck. Try reading other posts about Viking in general and Uniworld in general. Pat

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think the Sun and the Sky are sister ships. I believe the Sky holds 150 passengers which is typical of most river boats.

I have sailed on the Beatrice earlier this year, and I just recently walked through the Viking Sky when it was docked behind us while we were on another ship. Honestly, there was no comparison between the Beatrice and Sky from what I could see (I can't speak to service levels since we didn't actually sail on Viking, just walked on to take a look around). The Beatrice is beautiful and brand new - service was outstanding, it was like staying in a 5* deluxe hotel - everything was perfect. When we walked around the Sky a few weeks ago it looked in need of TLC, everything had a faded look to it, small cramped lounge area, similar to what I would expect from an older Holiday Inn. My husband actually said "well obviously this is a really old ship", we were both amazed when we found out it wasn't very old.

In addition to Uniworld including the wine with dinner they also include beer and soft drinks now with dinner, bicycles, complimentary espresso's, capacino, and other coffee's that Viking charges for, and Uniworld includes the airport transfers complimentary which I believe when we looked at Viking they charged for. You are really only talking a difference of $363 pp - for that small difference I would definitely suggest going with Uniworld - it will probably come out to be the same when you add all the extra's on the Sky will charge for - and the Beatrice was beautiful to sail on.

Nordski,

You are correct--the Sky does only hold 150 pax. Still won't travel on her. Just think that Viking's product has gone down and Uniworld's has gone up. Agree with travelgirl, you will probably spend more than the 360 per person saved. God luck and travel safely. Pat

So NOONE has had a good experience on the Sky or with Viking (service and details)?

I'm really second guessing myself now about Viking. I've got a bad feeling about sailing on the Sky.

It doesn't have to be fancy or 5* but for this kind of money I want great service and I don't want to be nickle and dimed to death. I also want to have small groups for the tours and nice common areas on the ship to gather in.

We're looking at the Danube 8 day trip. One reason we picked Viking over Uniworld was the Uniworld cruise spent 1 whole day cruising on the river while the Viking was in a port every day.

Anyone else have any thoughts.

Thanks for everyone's input. It's been very thought provoking.

Mylisa

Well, I can't comment re: The Sky but I've cruised twice on the Viking Spirit (the last time this spring) and on Uniworld's River Princess this past fall and this is my take:

I think Pacmom is correct in saying that in some ways Uniworld is step up from Viking, and, with a wealth of experience, she is one of the fairest and most objective on this board. However:

1/ To claim as others do that Uniworld is a 5** experience, if based on the scale of luxury, is to my way of thinking too strong. Although I personally wouldn't be interested, I can readily imagine a more luxurious cruise and, indeed, the Premicon Queen is supposed to offer it. Tauck cruises probably as well.

2/ The free wine at dinner is not a huge issue to us. I drink temperately and my wife not at all. As far as the meals, we didn't notice any significant difference except, perhaps, more choice at lunch on Uniworld.

3/ Uniworld has nice touches like chocolates on your bed at night and towel art. Again, neither of these is particularly significant to us except in suggesting an attention to detail. In terms of staff, on both ships they were equally committed and competent as were the tour guides.

But there were two issues that are important to us:

1/ We felt that the atmosphere on the Spirit was less formal and, as a result, more flexible. As I've noted in another thread, on the Princess this created a particular problem for my wife and her dietary issues, but more generally we enjoyed the Spirit's more relaxed atmosphere.

2/ The layout of the retaurant on the Princess did not seem as congenial to mixing and

meeting, as smaller tables couldn't be joined to accomodate diners who wanted to form a larger group. We missed that collegiality. Many of the tables sat four and a several sat two.

As Pacmom has stated, many posters hold their views quite vehemently and maintain strong loyalty to one cruise company. I think she is right in suggesting you take a close look at the particular ship you are considering

I can also tell you that there were a few people we met on the Princess who were very critical of elements of the cruise, some of it ill-founded in our view, but it suggests you simply can't please everyone.

In our household, my wife leans to Viking and I see the strengths of each. So, I suppose this posting isn't much help. But we would still let itinerary and cost drive our choice.

And, if nothing else, this board is thought-provoking.

Nordski,

Thanks for the kind words!! We cruised with Viking on the Schumann and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Food was great! trrips good guides very good. Really disappointed this spring on the Sun--food soso, guides good, docking terrible and CD too green. We will still travel with them in Russia next year. Next we leave for Portugal and will try AMAwaterways on the Duoro. This will be the 4th line we will have tried--will see which we like best on return. Pat

Nordski,

Thanks for the kind words!! We cruised with Viking on the Schumann and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Food was great! trrips good guides very good. Really disappointed this spring on the Sun--food soso, guides good, docking terrible and CD too green. We will still travel with them in Russia next year. Next we leave for Portugal and will try AMAwaterways on the Duoro. This will be the 4th line we will have tried--will see which we like best on return. Pat

Really looking forward to your reviews.

Mylisa, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Ok we finally mad a decision.

We booked with Uniworld on the Beatrice.

I just didn't have a good feeling about the Viking Sky. So with all of your comments I decided to go with my gut feeling and book with Uniworld.

I decided the worst case scenerio would be that we pull up beside the Sky and say "well it looks like it would have been ok but we're happy on the Beatrice. And the best case scenerio would be "Boy we made the right decision". So we decided that there was no down side with booking with Uniworld on the Beatrice.

I will post a review when we get back.

Thanks again for eveyone's input. People on this board are the absolute BEST!!

I haven't been on the boards for a while, but we are booked for our first ever river cruise on the Viking Sky for the Danube Waltz itinerary next October. Pacmom, thanks for your comparison; even though we are already booked it provides us a good idea of what to expect on the Sky. Then again, our cruise is over a year away; maybe there will be some TLC before then! For us it was a matter of where everyone else in our group will be booking. Regarding wine, we will be receiving 2 glasses complimentary every night due to the early booking deal.

I'm sure that our cruise and the OP's on Uniworld will both be wonderful - have a great time, and please post a review!

Archived