What did you buy in Istanbul, Izmir and Dubrovnik?

Don't toss it!:eek: Sounds like a beautiful item. There's always something that can be done. I don't think it will be "as good as new", but it isn't as noticeable as you think - not to others, who will admire it and hear your story. Hey, it's Istanbul! And you were there! There's some of this "Magic Putty" stuff that is advertised. Got it, but haven't used it. You can get it at hardware stores now. Fix, repair, paint it, etc. (They advertise it by showing a cup to which they made a handle.) Worth a try. Or disguise it with something else. You can also use it as an example of the frailty of life, or "no one's perfect." Endless possibilities.:D (Or give to someone else who admires it, if nothing else)

Oh, Cynthia, how terrible! I agree that perhaps someone could fix it a bit for you. And too think how lousy I felt about the pizza-shaped-with-one-quarter-eaten napkin holder I purchased in Sorrento for under 10 Euros!! So I cannot imagine after all your trouble and precautions taken how this must still upset you. I also carried a large hand-paintedTurkish pottery plate back separately on the plane, but no one hit it right at the finish line!

"Loud gasp" = that is terrible........ to get it almost home.......

hopefully someone can repair......do you have a ceramics shop near you ? One where the make them not just sell them. I would take it there and see what they can do...... good luck.

Thanks for the sympathy, everyone. It was a big disappointment. Made me realize why I don't normally schlep anything like this home when I travel. I was just overcome by a moment of weakness.....

You've inspired me to try to find someone to repair it. I also like the "life's imperfect" idea -- it sounds very Turkish. ;)

Three cheers for bubble wrap!:):p:) (middle one is Bronx cheer?)

I did bring some on my cruise on advice from CC members - (I read everything on what to pack! - was a challenge deciding what was important.) It really came in useful for my Polish pottery and some jars & liquids.)

Some places - 2 Turkey ceramic shops - had bubble wrap and they wrapped them for me before I left the shop.

(I also brought envelopes with cardboard for paper things that I didn't want bent, but never used them.) Bubble wrap weighs nothing, so you can cram it in at the last minute! - Okay, tamsam - pack it! Then whatever you decide to get - you'll be safe. Also it keeps things waterproof - so when airports leave your suitcases in the rain or drop them in a puddle, things won't be ruined!

I had a ceramics hobby years ago - at that time there was nothing much you could do when something cracked or broke :( - but with the new inventions? - please let us know how it works, Cynthia.

My 2 favorite things about Turkey are the nice people & the shopping, especially the ceramics!

I would love to buy a teaset in Istanbul but not sure how to get it home. I have no idea what there is to buy in Izmir.

I've read you can buy silk ties in Dubrovnik, but what else do they have?

I'm just curious as to what everyone has bought. Also interested in how you got stuff home that didn't fit in your suitcases.

Silk ties selling in Dubrovnik tend to be rather on the high end, some are as expensive as $150. As for the locally made items, one of the best items available are the fillagree earings. The design is original from our Konavale area and the design is very old. Please be careful in purchasing earings as not all the jewelry shops are owned by people who have a local goldsmith working for the shop. Some of the off the main drag are full of made in China junk. Be selective in choosing your jewelry shop, please.

We saw so many beautiful things in Istanbul that I really didn't buy much anywhere else. I bought a wonderful wool on cotton rug with ruby in middle and cream design (It was my 40th wedding anniv. -ruby) and I bought a silk scarf with the sign of the Sultan design in gold. Little things were a baby fez (very tiny for 7 month old GS) and a coin skirt (think belly dancer and jangles) for 7 year old GD. Apricots (but they were so good they were gone shortly) pepper grinders and pepper which was vacuum wrapped. Mykenos seemed to have the best T-shirts. Olive Oil from Olympia (in tin cans then bubble wrap) that tastes so good. A wooden cross with gold highlights for DD.

I am still debating buying a calligraphy piece from Nick in the Grand Bazaar. He is a world famous calligrapher and his customers have been Bill Gates, Queen Sophia of Spain, Laura Bush and on and on. He does mostly religious quotes and the work in done on leaves. I don't know that I have ever seen anything so remarkable. They start at $350 (or maybe Euros) and go up but are truly fine art. Should I buy? {Of course can order on-line}. The appointment to see this artist was really a highlight. Sometimes the most special things just happen.

I am still debating buying a calligraphy piece from Nick in the Grand Bazaar. He is a world famous calligrapher and his customers have been Bill Gates, Queen Sophia of Spain, Laura Bush and on and on. He does mostly religious quotes and the work in done on leaves. I don't know that I have ever seen anything so remarkable. They start at $350 (or maybe Euros) and go up but are truly fine art. Should I buy? {Of course can order on-line}. The appointment to see this artist was really a highlight. Sometimes the most special things just happen.

YES! If the two of you are in agreement. You'll never regret it, and it's something beautiful to look at always. Happy 40th!! (Didn't know it was ruby - we just did our first cruise for our 40th:))

I visited Nick's store in the Grand Bazaar too -- he's a great artist. Not my cup of tea but his work is gorgeous and I'm sure it would become a treasured heirloom if you did buy one.

• 2 weeks later...

We purchased one of Nick's leaves last year. It is the Lord's Prayer written in Arabic. It is a very interesting shop situated in an old horse stall. The "ivory" carvings he has are amazing too. He has many antique meersham pipes. Other favorite purchases in Turkey have been a glass tea set ( it came packaged for us), cushion covers, turkish delight, saffron and a glass beaded necklace.

I'm back from my wonderful cruise! Here is a picture of the Turkish tea set I bought. I bought some cheesy souvenirs and some really nice ones. This is my favorite of all.

th_Day8and9CruiseTripComingHome120.jpg

It's beautiful! I love the teapot. Did you get some apple tea for it?

or will you make your own?

We have our (DH's) coffee set. Next time, we'll get a tea set...:)

Turkish Apple Tea Recipe

There is no rocket science involved in the making of this tea rather it is just a process of adding apple flavoring and spices to top quality black tea. The apple essence is not the only added flavoring in Turkey’s favorite drink, rather some people make the additions of blackberry leaves, hibiscus, pineapple and lemon which produces a unique fruit flavored fun drink. The versatility of this drink gives it even more season as it can be served both hot and cold depending on the weather. You will find that most houses have a teapot on the stove all through out the day. The way this tea is made is that it is brewed in a small pot which is placed over a larger pot that contains boiling water. To have a drink all you have to do is take the concentrated brew and add some hot water to dilute it plus the sugar cubes according to your desired sweetness. And there you have it, the National drink of Turkey.

from kwintessential dot co dot uk

I'm back from my wonderful cruise! Here is a picture of the Turkish tea set I bought. I bought some cheesy souvenirs and some really nice ones. This is my favorite of all.

th_Day8and9CruiseTripComingHome120.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous!

Where did you buy it?

Thanks for the recipe Penelope. We were so pressed for time that I did not have a chance to get some tea. I bought the tea set in the Grand Bazaar because it was the last place we went and I was rushed for time, so I didn't even get to do any bargaining. We ended up using most of our shopping time having tea with a rug salesman LOL (We had no intention of buying a rug). We also have a Turkish friend that is going to get me some tea.

I purchased a pair of those lovely filigree dangly ball earrings in Dubrovnik last September, but silver, not gold. They indeed are a unique style, and I enjoy them very much.

I also purchased pashminas and pillow covers in Istanbul. In Kusadasi, I purchased a pair of gold "Greek-key" pattern earrings, and a gorgeous pottery plate which is a recreation of a historic pottery plate I saw at the Archaelogical Museum in Istanbul.

Which port has the best jewelry prices? Kusadasi or Dubrovnik? I love the jewelry in Athens at the Plaka, but never found any great deals, especially with the USD/Euro exchange rate right now.

I am looking for silver with and/or without stones. I will definitely look for those dangly ball earrings.:D

Thanks.

Which port has the best jewelry prices? Kusadasi or Dubrovnik? I love the jewelry in Athens at the Plaka, but never found any great deals, especially with the USD/Euro exchange rate right now.

I am looking for silver with and/or without stones. I will definitely look for those dangly ball earrings.:D

Thanks.

I really cannot judge between Kusadasi and Dubrovnik because I only went into one jewelry store in Dubrovnik looking specifically for the dangly ball earrings in silver (a Dubrovnik speciality) and did not look at any other items.

However, the jewelry prices in Kusadasi definitely were better than the prices in Athens.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

If you are looking for silver jewelry.....then for pete's sake head to the village of Sirince while in Kusadasi. It is a small village in the mountains....maybe 20-30 minute drive. We were there while on a private tour with Ekol.

There is a jewelry store there that is wonderful. Every piece is one of a kind and handmade. The owner is very proud of the fact that he designed and made every piece of jewelry and headware for the movie Troy, with Brad Pitt in it. We purchased a bracelet for my daughter there - intricate silver and semi precious stones...... gorgeous. And the price was really good - of course dh bargained with him......its expected :D I was the poster who is still kicking herself for not buying the dangly balls in Dubrovnik.....but I saw them in gold. ARGGGG I am still mad at myself ! Lesson learned.....see em - love em - buy em !

Archived