Uniworld Parisian Winter Holiday-(not much cruising)

Bilyeu5

We are thinking of making a last minute booking on this cruise.

We have never been on a river cruise, nor have we ever been to Paris.

It appears that the ship spends the vast majority of time docked in Paris, with visits to just Les Andelys and Rouen.

Would we be making a mistake not going on a more port-intensive itinerary? For those with experience, would you rather base on a river boat... or a hotel... in Paris? I know the room on the ship would be smaller, but does the all-inclusive nature of meals, tours, and small group ambiance make up for room size?

I'll have other questions, but will ask them in other threads.

We are thinking of making a last minute booking on this cruise.

We have never been on a river cruise, nor have we ever been to Paris.

It appears that the ship spends the vast majority of time docked in Paris, with visits to just Les Andelys and Rouen.

Would we be making a mistake not going on a more port-intensive itinerary? For those with experience, would you rather base on a river boat... or a hotel... in Paris? I know the room on the ship would be smaller, but does the all-inclusive nature of meals, tours, and small group ambiance make up for room size?

I'll have other questions, but will ask them in other threads.

I was looking at that trip also as it is a great price. It is 1/2 price isn't it? I would think it would be a lovely way to see Paris and I have been there before.I would much prefer to stay on the boat and have all my meals included etc. The Europeon hotel rooms are usually pretty small unless you are staying at a business hotel which I do not like at all in Europe.

In checking I found the Dec 12th cruise is a 2 for 1 price. Fantastic deal!

I guess it depends on how much you want to "cruise"...

I just went over to look at the itinerary before posting, and I think this might be a good way to experience a river cruise - for a number of reasons...

1) You will get to experience the river - and know if you want to travel this way again. If you discover that this *isn't* for you, you will still have had a number of days in Paris --> and that is *never* a bad thing...:D

2) The River Baroness is wonderful - and the crew will make you feel at home. When you come back from your excursions, you will be made to feel as if you have "come home". Much better (imho) than returning to a hotel after an afternoon of sightseeing - and then having to (most likely) dress again to go out to eat.

3) Rouen is wonderful - and you will get a day here.

4) Versailles is worth seeing - and you get a trip there as well. (Sorry, can't speak to Les Andelys, as our cruise didn't stop there....)

5) There are 2 tours of Paris - one in daylight, and one at night --> a good way to get an overview of the city. The Baroness docks within easy walking distance of the Metro - so you can go out and do further sightseeing on your own... Then - have "friends" and dinner to come back to...(see #2 again...)

We stayed on in Paris for a few days after our Paris/Normandy tour --> and it would have been nice if we *could* have stayed on the boat. Not sure how much the cruise is - but I think that the price would have to be *signifcantly* more for the cost to negate the other benefits you have identified...(tours, meals etc).

Just as an fyi, when we got off the boat, we stayed for 2 nights in a "reasonably priced" hotel in the Latin quarter - we paid around 120 euros each night. We were within walking distance of Notre Dame, and Ile St. Louis. We had to look for restaurants when we wanted to eat (we had the buffet in the hotel on the last morning, but it did not compare with the breakfast buffet on the Baroness....) and our room wasn't much larger than our room on the boat. The view was non-existent. Now - the bathroom was much bigger - but you don't sleep in there...

Paris is so large, you might find it a challenge to pick just the "right" spot from a hotel perspective - and then you still have to do everything on your own (meals, sightseeing etc). You may be the type of person that enjoys that part of trip planning. However - if you have not been to Paris before, it might be nice to have access to people who know the area - and (if you are not fluent in French) speak English so that they may assist you with planning your "free" time. I speak enough French to "get by" - but really appreciated the fact that the boat is English speaking...

Sorry - know that you didn't expect such a long response.

I am asking our TA to get a quote for that cruise. Actally not really to take it but find out how the pricing works in the 2 for 1 deal. I am hoping that maybe in Sept 2010 Uniworld will make some more offers of a 2 for 1 deals.

We also received the 2for1 offer for upcoming 2009 river cruises and I just put in a request to be contacted by Uniworld for that same cruise. We just returned 10.09.2009 from Uniworlds Castles Along the Rhine and I'm ready to go again. In my opinion this could be a great way to see Paris, tho I've been 8 times previous. I like the idea of the all inclusive and not having to move around. Loved Uniworld and will definitely go with them again.

Susan

Archived