Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo

luvtocook

Any comments on this hotel from fellow cruisers? (I have read reviews on TA, just wanted some comments from cruisers with cruise luggage!)

Size & amenities of the rooms?

Proximity to all the "must see's"?

Best arrival transportation from airport? Cost of same?

Food & service?

Thanks in advance--we're looking to spend 2 nights pre cruise next November.

Any comments on this hotel from fellow cruisers? (I have read reviews on TA, just wanted some comments from cruisers with cruise luggage!)

Size & amenities of the rooms?

Proximity to all the "must see's"?

Best arrival transportation from airport? Cost of same?

Food & service?

Thanks in advance--we're looking to spend 2 nights pre cruise next November.

We stayed there in October three years ago on a land trip which started in Venice. We took the bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma (a few Euros per person, with luggage placed underneath); then caught vaporetto #1 to the St. Stae stop, and finally walked the 40 flat yards to the alley side entrance to this charming small hotel.

Best recommendation: We enjoyed our stay so much that we booked two nights there before our April 28, 2010 Venice to Barcelona Oceania cruise.

Venice actually is very small, and we had a vaporetto pass so either walked or took the vaporetto to all the sites. (You get a good map with your pass.)

The only food was breakfast (fresh fruit, yogurt and delicious apricot croissants) , but many nice restaurants are close by, particularly La Zucca.

Charming, beautifully decorated rooms, decent size, but, the highlight, excellent service in the manner of a B&B. Walter and Sandro are great people who run a lovely place.

Thanks so much for the comments. They replied to an email that they require a 3 night minimum so I think we are going to go ahead & fly in another day earlier. Sounds like a great place to stay.

That is strange; we booked our two-night stay for the end of April 2010 just last month. And November is not exactly prime time in Venice.:confused:

Yeah, I thought it was strange too, the confirmation email I received stated a 3 night min on weekends and we are staying Monday & Tuesday nights, I have Sunday night on hold as well right now, but I will email them closer to time and cancel that 3rd night. I don't think we are flying in that early. Have to check on the airfare first. We sail out on Wednesday @ 8PM so I think we will have enough time to explore Venice if we arrive around 11:30 AM on Monday don't you?????

Yeah, I thought it was strange too, the confirmation email I received stated a 3 night min on weekends and we are staying Monday & Tuesday nights, I have Sunday night on hold as well right now, but I will email them closer to time and cancel that 3rd night. I don't think we are flying in that early. Have to check on the airfare first. We sail out on Wednesday @ 8PM so I think we will have enough time to explore Venice if we arrive around 11:30 AM on Monday don't you?????

1. We are arriving at the hotel Monday afternoon and staying just Monday and Tuesday nights, certainly not a weekend at all, so it still makes no sense.

2. Two full days to explore Venice would be more than enough for many.

We stayed five nights (4-1/2 days) three years ago, but spent one full day on a day-trip to Padua, primarily to visit the incredible Giotto frescos in the Scrovegni Chapel, so ahead of their time in style.

I am probably the last person you want to ask regarding whether two days is enough to explore Venice.:) We are slow sightseers and art crazy, so in addition to the Accademia, Doge's Palace (including wonderful Secret Itinerary Tour), Saint Mark's Basilica and Treasury , we also wanted to visit the Scuole Rocco, Friari Church, Jewish Museum and ghetto tour, San Giorgio Maggiore, La Salute Church, Colleoni statue, Ca' Rezzonico palazzo and also enjoy vaporetto riding and walking.

One thing my DH mentioned is the rate they quoted me for a superior double might have been a deal if you stay 3 nights. (100 Euros @ night) We are wanting to do the same tours you mentioned and we also love to look at art. We want to go to Murano & spend some time and we also love to just "cruise" around taking everything in, stopping at cafés for a glass of wine & a snack & just enjoying the city and it's life.

I read somewhere to get up as the sun is rising & take a wander about Venice, they said it is an amazing time.

The flights I am "hoping" to get have us arriving in VCN at 11:30 AM so we would have 2 1/2 days before we board on Wednesday. Never having sailed the Star Princess, we might not get back off & just explore the ship that afternoon. You never know, that extra day may prove to be the BEST deal. Especially for the price.:D

One thing my DH mentioned is the rate they quoted me for a superior double might have been a deal if you stay 3 nights. (100 Euros @ night) We are wanting to do the same tours you mentioned and we also love to look at art. We want to go to Murano & spend some time and we also love to just "cruise" around taking everything in, stopping at cafés for a glass of wine & a snack & just enjoying the city and it's life.

I read somewhere to get up as the sun is rising & take a wander about Venice, they said it is an amazing time.

The flights I am "hoping" to get have us arriving in VCN at 11:30 AM so we would have 2 1/2 days before we board on Wednesday. Never having sailed the Star Princess, we might not get back off & just explore the ship that afternoon. You never know, that extra day may prove to be the BEST deal. Especially for the price.:D

A superior double for only 100 Euros - I definitely would book an additional night! Another reason this is a good location: you avoid the flooding that the Saint Mark's area gets in rainy season.

I am really excited to know you like this hotel so much, sure looks good in all the reviews & the photos on Trip Advisor. Yes, 100 Euros, everything included is a bargain for Venice. We'll just have to suffer 1 more day in Venice!!!!:D

Sure hope we avoid any bad weather, we're SOOOO looking forward to seeing as much of Venice as we can, we've waited a long time to get there--canceled 2 other Med cruises in the past. Thanks again for all your input.

We were in this hotel this past October and loved it! The hotel staff, front desk, breakfast crew, cleaners, are all friendly and helpful. We loved the area, especially the nearby plaza with the Coop grocery store. We were the only tourists there and we enjoyed sitting on the park bench watching the locals on a Friday evening as they socialized in the plaza. I bought a bottle of water for 1/2 euro and some packages of dried mushrooms in the Coop. A local grandma (nona) helped me find the best mushrooms, she could not speak English and my Italian is limited but we had fun. She even gave me a hug when I saw her the next day.

Loved the fresh juice at breakfast and the grapes that were so large, we thought they were plums.

• 2 months later...

We stayed here in October 2 nights post cruise and loved it for all of the above reasons. In a quiet area, staff great and so quaint. We used the vaporetta to travel from the ship and even schlepping cases it was easy. i would stay there again in a heartbeat and would confidently recommend it to anyone. And yes the croissants are wonderful!! And 100 E is a very good price

Terry

• 5 months later...

I wanted to get this thread back on the boards.

We stayed at Al Ponte Mocenigo this May for 3 nights. We had a great time and our stay was wonderful. Sandro and Walter are very nice owners and are on site everyday. They were helpful and friendly, as were the people who worked for them.

We arrived prior to check in time and they stored our luggage in a closet. They offered us Cappucino as soon as we arrived.

The rooms have a safe, which is fairly easy to use. A computer is set up on the second floor for guests. You need a password from the front desk to get on, and it sets you up for 3 hours. Walter stated, "If you run out of time, just come back for another password, no charge"

We took a water taxi with another couple from the port, but that's totally unneccessary. From P. Roma, take the #1 Vap to the fourth stop, S. Stae. When you get off the Vap, you will be standing in front of a church. Walk on the right side of the church, when you get to the back of the church, look up and the wall in front of you will have the hotel name. Walk down that tiny alley, and you will find yourself standing in front of the door to the hotel NO BRIDGES!!:):D

We had a standard room on the first floor. No schlepping luggage upstairs. The rooms were larger than anticipated, with a large bathroom. Our friends had a room right off the patio, and that was also nice. (Our room was #1-it was across from the courtyard and next to the front desk). Style is Venetian.

They have books about Venice at the front desk to borrow. On the second floor are books for sharing. Leave one, take one.

Breakfast in the courtyard was great. There are statues all around you, and the filled croissants are at your table, the moment you sit down. Cappucino and/or American coffee are offered. They also have cereal, fruit, and a few other selections. No complaints about breakfast at all. No eggs or meats, but they weren't missed.

We ate a few blocks from the hotel on 2 eves. We were the only Americans, which says alot to me. The rest. was Captain U.... something or other and is next to the Coop supermarket. They had great pizza and fish. One night in the square, they were dancing the tango for at least 3 hours. The best pizza rest. in Venice, according to Frommer?? is right off the square. When we decided to eat it, they were closed for siesta. I forgot the name of the place.

Linda

We are booked here for 2 nights in September. I am still not sure how we are going to get from the port to the hotel. When our ship arrives we are staying on the ship that night. Should we try and take a piece of luggage off the 1st day?? Can you take your luggage on the vaparetto?? I thought about taking cabs from the port to Piazza Roma and storing luggage too. What do you suggest?

Thanks

Cheryl

We are booked here for 2 nights in September. I am still not sure how we are going to get from the port to the hotel. When our ship arrives we are staying on the ship that night. Should we try and take a piece of luggage off the 1st day?? Can you take your luggage on the vaparetto?? I thought about taking cabs from the port to Piazza Roma and storing luggage too. What do you suggest?

Thanks

Cheryl

I've stayed on ship before overnight, and they didn't permit us to take any luggage off with us. When I was there last time, I took a cab from port to P Roma, exactly what you're thinking of doing. Unless you plan to split a water taxi with other people, it will be much cheaper to do that and take the Vap. They DO permit you take luggage on the Vap with you. Each person is permitted 1 large suitcase each. It's supposed to cost an extra 6 euro when you get on the vap for extra pieces, but I've never seem them charge anyone.

Re: Storing luggage. I think you can do that at the train station. I don't think you can do that at P Roma. It was so easy without bridges, etc., so I wouldn't stress about it.

Returning to the airport from the hotel was also simple as pie. Walter gave us the Vap schedule with the bus and it was perfect. The bus is the same ticket as the Vap, no extra money needed.

I know people who took a water taxi to the airport and had to hire a porter to take their luggage from the pier to the airport. The bus gets you off right in front of the gate.

Mrs. Paper

That makes me feel so much better. There are 8 of us going, but they said we would need 2 water taxis.

We will just take land taxis to Piazza Roma and then Vaparetto to the hotel. We are planning on buying the 48 hour pass or whatever pass works the best for us.

Were there plenty of cabs at the port?? I think our ship is the only one docking that day.

I might try and reserve a cab a head of time if possible. If we didn't have the luggage I wouldn't stress because we are great walkers.

Thanks for your tips.

Any restaurant tips???

I know the La Zucca is nearby and has been recommended. Any others you loved?

Thanks so much

Cheryl

Mrspaper,

Do you remember how long before your flight you had to take the vaporetto to make it work? Thanks!

I think we left 3 hrs before the flight. Getting to the airport wasn't bad, but they are very disorganized at the airport and it took us almost 2 hrs to get from checking in through the checkpoint. They were almost boarding when we got through. All we had time to do was use the bathroom before boarding.

Mrs. Paper

Were there plenty of cabs at the port?? I think our ship is the only one docking that day. There are plenty of cabs at the airport, no need to call on in advance. Some of the cabs could take 4 people. I don't know if they charge extra for 4, I heard they might. A cab should be about 10 E or so, if I recall what I read. I don't remember what we paid last time. I think it was about $12 E if I recall, and that was 3 yrs ago

I might try and reserve a cab a head of time if possible. If we didn't have the luggage I wouldn't stress because we are great walkers. If you get lucky, the people mover will be running. There is a thread regarding the people mover, or you may be able to find the info on line. cost is supposed to be 1 E pp, and I think it will drop off at the Tronchetto. From the tronchetto, you can grab Vap #1. With luck, it will drop at P Roma. It's at least 1 year behind schedule, (what a surprise)

Thanks for your tips.

Any restaurant tips??? We really enjoyed the rest. in the square a short walk from the hotel, next to the Coop. It's called Captain U.....? It's also near La Zucca. The hotel recommends it highly, but you need a reservation. We weren't able to get a table at the rest. It looks great and the prices look good. La Zucca is even closer to the rest, by one bridge

I know the La Zucca is nearby and has been recommended. Any others you loved?

Thanks so much

Cheryl

If scroll back a bunch of pics, someone took pics standing under the sign to the hotel, behind the church, I copied that pic and carried it with me

I think we left 3 hrs before the flight. Getting to the airport wasn't bad, but they are very disorganized at the airport and it took us almost 2 hrs to get from checking in through the checkpoint. They were almost boarding when we got through. All we had time to do was use the bathroom before boarding.

Mrspaper, thanks for the heads up!

Archived