Going on first 4 night cruise - will i hate it????

tuggers

Carole, I believe last time I was on a cruise with you we were on a TA. And didn't Terri and I give you our table in Falmouth with that great view and pasties??? It was damp and cold but I loved every minute of it!

Well, I guess I'll do a 'live from the decks of' then.

You are correct; we were very greatful for the seats. Our pasties were wonderful; how could anything with potato and dough be bad?

When are you doing the shorty? I am looking forward to reading your impressions.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Enjoy! Enjoy!

• 5 months later...

We did a 3 night Pacific Northwest cruise and LOVED IT. The major difference, I found, is that you have to make friends really quickly. By the 2nd day, there are a lot of clicks (groups of friends that have bonded). Just make sure to make an effort to say hello and make eye contact with people, that is unless you're not that social. One of the things we enjoyed most about our cruises was the people we met.

The shortest cruise I have ever been on is 7 days. And I really tried to always do those b2b. My preference is 12 day and more. I did b2b's once on Horizon and stayed on for 43 days. That was heaven!

So why am I doing this? I have a friend with serious health problems and she wants to go on a cruise so much that she talked me into this. I'm going with a positive attitude and sunscreen (plan to get lots of sun).

What are the things that won't be done at all on this short cruise. Anyone have any ideas or advice.

BTW, just so you know I REALLY love this friend, we're sharing a cabin! :eek::eek: Never done that before!

Help me out here. Please!!!!

Look at it as a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG week-end and it will be great! :)

The shortest cruise I have ever been on is 7 days. And I really tried to always do those b2b. My preference is 12 day and more. I did b2b's once on Horizon and stayed on for 43 days. That was heaven!

So why am I doing this? I have a friend with serious health problems and she wants to go on a cruise so much that she talked me into this. I'm going with a positive attitude and sunscreen (plan to get lots of sun).

What are the things that won't be done at all on this short cruise. Anyone have any ideas or advice.

BTW, just so you know I REALLY love this friend, we're sharing a cabin! :eek::eek: Never done that before!

You'll have a great time as long as the cruise lasts...You'll only be unhappy when the it ends. I'm sure you'll wish it was longer.:)

Hi Tugger:

I have done one short cruise....a 3-day Seattle-Vancouver-Nanaimo-Seattle cruise on the Mercury in September 2007.

I was travelling with two good friends in a Sky Suite who were new cruisers. I had only ever cruised with my DH before, but we had a fabulous time, and the Sky Suite worked out just great. No problems with sharing whatsoever.

Many things that were essentially Celebrity were as good as ever. Service was top notch, the food was very good (we had some of the "new menu" items on that cruise), the martinis ROCKED.

However, there were some real differences that I noticed on that short cruise. When listed all together, they look quite daunting, but please believe me when I say that none of the things outlined below diminished our enjoyment of the cruise.

1. There was a huge majority of first-time cruisers on board. (This was confirmed by the Captain's Club hostess.)

2. The guests were vastly younger than usual for Celebrity. I would guess, conservatively, that 30 was the average age.

3. The trivia games were hysterical. Those young people clearly hadn't lived long enough to accumulate ANY trivia. But they were really good-natured and enthusiastic!

3. It was the only Celebrity cruise that I have been on that I would consider a "party" cruise. People were having fun everywhere!

4. There was no formal night on this cruise. It was casual-informal-casual. However, most of the guests had no idea of what constitutes appropriate dress on a cruise ship. I saw SO many t-shirts, shorts, flip flops, ripped-and-frayed jeans in the dining room, and never in my life have I seen so many sagging pants on young men, many of which displayed way more anatomy than necessary.

5. There were probably less than half of the guests in the dining room on the last night. At our table for eight, only my 2 friends and I attended, although I already knew from earlier conversations that that was to be expected. (Well, this last point saddened me a little.)

We had a great time, and I would do it again with girl friends. But I wouldn't take my husband on a 3-night cruise :p.

We to have only done long cruises most over 12 days. We did a four day this winter on the Century and had a blast, although I was tired when we got off. The commits from above are correct.

Tuggers what a wonderful thing to do for your friend. I am sure you would have fun even on a 2 nighter! As you know- we love your " live from the decks" reports. Please make sure you post it here on the X- Board. LOL!

Hope everything is okay on board Mercury!

Greetings

Michael

Interestingly, we live in SWFL; and, our shortest cruise has been seven nights. We now strive for the ten or fourteen night cruisies. We have some friends who have some friends who live in Ft. Laurderdale who always keep their bags packed for the call from the travel agent for super deals on short cruises. We are about 2 hours away from Port Everglades; hence, this scenario would not work for us particularly since my wife would never cruise steerarge despite the super fare. I am certain that you and your friend will have a fine time; and, that is a very fine effort on your part.

I do not what 4 night on Celebrity from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West to Cozumel and home. It was our very first cruise and it was all DH would agree to as a starter. We loved it and were soon on a 7 night. If you are doing "X" I would say don't worry you will have a great time.

Under normal circumstanances I would say I would not do less than 7 nights on ANY other cruise line EVER!!!

BUT you are doing a very kind thing for a very good friend and your enjoyment will come with your friend's enjoyment. That is my opinion.

I hope that you and your special friend have the trip of a lifetime!

BON VOYAGE!:D

Archived