Portland, any must sees?

sam's girl

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Portland.

Must sees:

Portland Head Light

Old Port (where ship docks, lots of restaurants, shops, etc. eat at Gilbert's for great chowder and lobster)

Portland Museum of Art

Kennebunkport is 45 min. south

Freeport 30 min north, great food and shopping LLBean's

Can't do both Freeport and Kennebunk same day,way too much

The port where you will dock is the Old Port. You most surely can walk and shop and eat. Go to Gilbert's, up and down Exchange St.and Commercial St. You will love it!

Second that on Gilbert's. Had lunch there when we docked a couple of weeks ago (Triumph) and it was great. Wife had the lobster roll which she just raved about. Great recommendation.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What are you looking for in a hotel? I really love staying at the Eastland Park Hotel, which (I think) the oldest hotel in Portland ... rooms are not modern and it has charactor. http://www.eastlandparkhotel.com/

I've also stayed at the Holiday Inn - Portland by the Bay (Old Port) and other numerous hotels - I live in Bangor and worked in Portland for awhile.

Anything that you really want to do? See? Shopping at the Mall? How about staying in Freeport (Where LL Bean is) Really like the http://www.harraseeketinn.com/ They have the most wonderful home made desserts.

Jan

• 1 month later...

I also live in the Portland area. If you like history and old houses there is the Victorian Mansion and also the Longfellow House (Henry Wadsworth). If you want sightseeing, there is a duck tour, and also harbor cruises. You might want to "play it by ear" on the harbor cruise depending on the weather. It can be unpredicable at that time of year. It might be warm and sunny, or windy and cold! If you luck out with really nice weather I'd recommend one of the outdoor tours. Have fun!!

Archived