'Carta de Invitacion'

RoosCruise

I was over in tehNCL threads and ran across a post with this website

http://www.wordtravels.com/ on it concerning the varies requirements and papers needed for entry into countries all over the world. When I looked into Spain and it said Americans needed a valid passport but no visa is required. However if we are entering Spain for "tourisic purposes" we would have to apply for a 'Carta de Invitacion' at a police station.

Does anybody know what this is? Do we just find a police station and ask for the paperwork?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Spain is a member of the EU, folks, and is a party to the Schengen agreement!:)

That is great news for EU Countries. The United States is not part of the EU however. It appears only Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden (but not Ireland and the United Kingdom) plus Iceland, Norway and Switzerland (which are not EU members) are party to the Schengen Agreement which allows for borderless travel between these countries (however you are still required to carry an ID or Passport).

Further investigation on other sites have also mentioned that border officials in EU countries may ask for other supporting documents such as an invitation letter, proof of lodging, return or round-trip ticket if you are a non EU member.

phmcm477 I will get with my hotel and see if they do this for their guests or if they can point me in the right direction. Thank you for your response.

That is great news for EU Countries. The United States is not part of the EU however. It appears only Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden (but not Ireland and the United Kingdom) plus Iceland, Norway and Switzerland (which are not EU members) are party to the Schengen Agreement which allows for borderless travel between these countries (however you are still required to carry an ID or Passport).

Further investigation on other sites have also mentioned that border officials in EU countries may ask for other supporting documents such as an invitation letter, proof of lodging, return or round-trip ticket if you are a non EU member.

phmcm477 I will get with my hotel and see if they do this for their guests or if they can point me in the right direction. Thank you for your response.

I suggest that you check the US government website for travel to Europe to understand the significance to US citizens traveling to those EU countries, such as Spain, being a party to the Schengen Agreement. Read all the other sites that you wish, but please stop creating worry for yourself and other readers of this board.

RoosCruise - CintiPam is correct. You don't need to do this. I don't know where you found this ridiculous requirement, but your information is totally incorrect and outdated. From travel.state.gov webpage:

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: Spain is a party to the Schengen agreement. As such, U.S. citizens may enter Spain for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. The passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay.

If you need further reading, a fun, Schengen Fact Sheet:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_4361.html

Archived