Interesting thread on out of control teens

IMHO these "kids" should have been locked up in the brig until the next port, and then put off with their entire families to find their own way home! I have ZERO tolerance for that kind of behavior!!!

I just read this post and I can not believe it!!! Someone's child was HIT IN THE EYE by a total stranger and the cruise line did nothing. I have no idea what I would have done, but I am pretty sure it would not have been in the "passive" category. Yelling, cusing, riding elevators is one thing - assult and battery is a whole other issue. The kids eye was swollen shut! This is completely unreal!

Children are often allowed to get away with conduct that an adult would be unequivocably jailed for. There are very strong forces that would be arrayed against a person or company that sought to restrain, imprison or in any way effect discipline on a child, when the parents of the child are not in full agreement. To expect a company to take on those forces, when society is so ready to condemn such actions regardless of merit, is IMHO unreasonable.

My dad would have put a boot up my a**. I cannot and will not tolerate that kind of behavoir out of my nephews and nieces (don't have any of my own yet). If you can't or won't watch them, leave them at home. At least your neighbors can call the police if they get out of hand :)...

Someone's child was HIT IN THE EYE by a total stranger and the cruise line did nothing.
Did I miss something? I don't remember reading that. :confused:

What I find really remarkable are the parents who manage to effect discipline in their children solely by their supervision, without having to resort to violence.
It works too! Never had to lay a hand on our children or shout out verbal abuse, and mine have turned out great! They have had plenty of supervision though.

Did I miss something? I don't remember reading that. :confused:

It works too! Never had to lay a hand on our children or shout out verbal abuse, and mine have turned out great! They have had plenty of supervision though.

It was further down...another incident where a teen was attacked in the teen club and NCL seems to have been obstructionistic about allowing the parents to press charges.

My kids would never use violence against another person. We have not raised them with violence and have always taught them to walk away from confrontation. Not that it would always work, but it is a step in the right direction. Something makes me feel that the kid raised with a boot up the wazoo would be the one who would resort to violence when faced with adversity.

There is a better way.

I just read this post and I can not believe it!!! Someone's child was HIT IN THE EYE by a total stranger and the cruise line did nothing. I have no idea what I would have done, but I am pretty sure it would not have been in the "passive" category. Yelling, cusing, riding elevators is one thing - assult and battery is a whole other issue. The kids eye was swollen shut! This is completely unreal!

While I completely sympathize with the family who had all the problems on NCL I don't think I would be comfortable allowing my 10 year old to wander the ship alone. I certainly would not let a 10 year old wander through a hotel alone, and I don't really believe a ship is any safer than a hotel. However I absolutely think it is horrible that a big kid punched a little kid and blackened his eye and I really think that the captain should have put the entire family off the ship.

"heard" (second hand) about a violent "cat fight" 2on 1 of teenage girls on Brilliance this Xmas/New Years sailing .. over a boy. One got hit on head w/beer bottle.. well girl ended up in "brig" and whole extending family was sent off in Cayman .. (guess RCCL decided to impliment 0-tolerance... finally). Though there were MANY crude, rude disruptive teens on this sail.. saw very little in way of security.. was subjected to some of their "verbal" assaults while in elevator.. they had this sense of entitlement. Sure put a damper on cruise.

Carolyn

Don't the parents of the offending teens (not just the ones mentioned in this thread) ever read these boards?? There have been so many threads in regards to teenagers and their behavior that you would think that most parents traveling with teens would be able to pick up on the comments of other passengers and figure out that it's just plain rude to let your kids wander through the ship at all hours of the day and night, doing whatever they please. I'm a parent too - so I'm not a child hater, but enough is enough. We all, or at least a good many of us, count on these cruises as being our big vacation of the year - I'd just hate it if I came home only to report that dreadful acting kids had ruined a good portion of my vacation. So I guess what I'm saying is.... if you're taking your kids with you on the cruise - please watch them and be respectful of the other passengers.

My kids would never use violence against another person. We have not raised them with violence and have always taught them to walk away from confrontation. Not that it would always work, but it is a step in the right direction. Something makes me feel that the kid raised with a boot up the wazoo would be the one who would resort to violence when faced with adversity.

There is a better way.

I was a kid raised with the foot in the wazoo and no, I am not a violent person (although I would become one if someone hit my child in the eye and no one in authority would do anything about that person). The kids I see acting up and throwing fits in the stores are usually the ones where the parents are going "Look Timmy, if you don't stop breaking the bottles of pickles you are going to get time out".

I guess it takes all kinds and everyone has to parent according to their kids personality. I did get spanked and even when someone made racists comments to me on the last cruise I didn't resort to violence - even though they threatened dh and myself.

It is interesting how consistently parents who apply spanking believe that hellions are the product of not spanking; and parents who don't apply spanking believe that hellions are the product of spanking. I bet the actuality is that there is no correlation... that there are hellions who were spanked, and hellions who were not spanked.

It is interesting how consistently parents who apply spanking believe that hellions are the product of not spanking; and parents who don't apply spanking believe that hellions are the product of spanking. I bet the actuality is that there is no correlation... that there are hellions who were spanked, and hellions who were not spanked.

I agree. Every child is different. What works for one sibling may not work for another. Each parent needs to discipline according to their own childs personality. In some cases that may mean giving the child a swat on the butt cause that is what it takes to get their attention and to get them to listen. But their sibling may behave better with just a talk or non-hitting form of discipline. It doesn't mean that the parent is abusive or controlling. Just that each child reacts differently to different forms of discipline.

Without question there are unruly and violent kids, teens and young adults who saw a belt one to many times and ones who's parents never laid a hand on them. But there are more polite and wellbehaved kids, teens and young adults who were raised with both forms of discipline.

Heidi

Indeed. It does seem, though, that direct supervision is almost always more reliable the after-the-fact discipline. I don't encounter as many parents who find themselves in the same situation as Lynette on "Desperate Housewives," with hellions that run amok even when Mommy is watching. :)

I must admit, I am getting a little nervous about the increases in crazy kids, adults, etc. people seem to be encountering on cruises. I had a great time in December, but I wonder how long that is going to last.

I can tell you, In Sept. of 03 we vacationed at a couples only, adults only resort - it was the most peaceful experience I have ever had - WOW. No pushing, shoving, blocking of hot tubs, nothing like that.

I love cruising, but if things keep getting as bad as what was reported on NCL - I'm not sure I will continue to do it. I couldn't imagine having those kind of experiences.

First of all, the 10 year old child was not punched in the eye. He was not harmed at all. I do agree that he was too young to be roaming the ship on his own though.

The eye punching occurred during a fight with older teens and young adults. the victim was 19 years old and was not connected with the family that stayed in the "Villa" suite.

As for disciplining your child, IMHO, there is a difference in spanking a child (with a bare hand) and kicking them in the rear end (to put it nicely) with a boot. :eek: I said before that we didn't lay a hand on our children. I should have rephrased that as we didn't lay a foot on them. Yes, we lightly spanked our children on rare occasions and followed with a firm talking about what they were doing wrong. We never kicked them or beat them. More often, we sent them to their rooms and would take their privileges away. The key to effective parenting is to be consistent with rules and what is to be expected of your child. My children are not always perfect, but they sure have made us proud with their behavior and manners.

Maybe not, however there have been studies and there is a correlation between beating a child and that child becoming a "hellion".

First of all, the 10 year old child was not punched in the eye. He was not harmed at all. I do agree that he was too young to be roaming the ship on his own though.

The eye punching occurred during a fight with older teens and young adults. the victim was 19 years old and was not connected with the family that stayed in the "Villa" suite.

Thank you for correcting me....I feel much better knowing that it was a grown man that was punched and not a little kid!!!

Oh for heaven's sake, don't take the phrase 'a boot up the a$$' so literally. When I was growing, I never had a mark on me once but I did have a swat on the behind once or twice and I was majorly afraid of the consequences of going home and telling my dad if I got in trouble somewhere. I definitely had a metaphorical boot up the a$$ on more than one occasion and it 'stuck' with me ( pun intended:) ). I have two children, one of which has had a swat on the behind on two or maybe three occasions and another that has not due to totally different personalities, but they are both respectful and they are accountable and know it. My husband and I practice that same metaphorical boot up the a$$ approach my parents practiced. Call it supervision or accountability or whatever you want. When Paulcathcart originally posted his boot up the...remark he didn't say he was parented with extreme violence he just made a remark that to me said he knew somebody was going to hold him responsible in some way for his actions. That's the problem with society. Too many people not being held accountable whether it's kids or their parents who aren't paying attention. I say a little fear of the consequences is a good thing.

Don't ever say "My child would never do blah blah blah." Believe me, even though you think that you have been a successful parent and reared a very "successful child," God has a way of reminding you that you aren't so perfect and neither are they. Its just how life works! At some time or another, your child will bring you down to earth and remind you of this! Believe me...

Signed...a mother who found out her child WOULD do some things she could not have imagined!

Archived