Might Carnival be returning to Europe?

Earthworm Jim

jleq posted this article in another thread quoting Carnival CEO Arinson as saying the will likely decrease their cruises in Alaska. But in there Arinson mentions Europe as a possible replacement for the Alaska sailings:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/cruiselog/2009/09/carnivals-arison-cruise-lines-likely-to-pull-more-ships-from-alaska-.html

Arison and other Carnival executives said it was becoming increasingly difficult to make money in Alaska due to growing fees, taxes and regulations imposed on cruise companies by the state, and they said that other destinations such as Europe now hold more appeal for their ships.

I'm all in favor of Carnival returning to some European itineraries, if that's what this means.

I guess that he was reffering to HAL and Princess sending more ships to Europe..

I read Arison's comments the same way. Since the Carnival brand only sails one ship in Alaska (Spirit), a reduction would be a complete pull-out. I don't see this happening.

Well we are returning to Europe in 2012 and would like to spend our money on the Carnival brand as well....but RCCL and NCL has some great prices and itins as well.

I am 100% convinced that Carnival monitors these boards.....why wouldn't they?

Unfortunately, what you are saying all makes sense. Arison only said that Carnival Corp. would likely reduce Alaska sailings, not eliminate them. So it could very well mean the Spirit is staying in Alaska, while some of their ships from their other lines could be pulled from Alaska and sent to Europe.

That wouldn't help put Carnival back in Europe. Though I could always spend the extra money to sail in Europe on one of Carnival's other brands I guess. Norwegian and Royal Caribbean also offer some reasonably priced options.

I would love to see the Dream go to europe. I feel that would be a great ship to do a Ta on. I hope Carnival is listening.

Dream will spend the better part of the next decade in Port Canaveral, just like Glory did.

the article was referring to Princess and HAL ships. Carnival itself only has one ship in Alaska, so a pullout doesn't affect Carnival much.

I asked John Heald on his blog about Carnival going back to Europe in 2010. He said they were not going but they "MAY" go in 2011. I was so disappointed, I wanted to go next year and I can not rely on a "MAY" in 2011. So, our friends and my DH and I have been looking at cruise lines to go to Europe next year. Carnival makes it so easy, we are really having a hard time trying to decide. The prices are much higher than Carnival. I really am so disappointed that we have to go with a different line. I think there is a market for Carnival cruisers to go to Europe out there. Not everyone wants to go to the Caribbean.

I asked John Heald on his blog about Carnival going back to Europe in 2010. He said they were not going but they "MAY" go in 2011. I was so disappointed, I wanted to go next year and I can not rely on a "MAY" in 2011. So, our friends and my DH and I have been looking at cruise lines to go to Europe next year. Carnival makes it so easy, we are really having a hard time trying to decide. The prices are much higher than Carnival. I really am so disappointed that we have to go with a different line. I think there is a market for Carnival cruisers to go to Europe out there. Not everyone wants to go to the Caribbean.

You know, I totally agree. There have been others who say that CCL has other options that still remain to cruise on. I still hope that the Magic will spend the entire season in Europe in 2011.....maybe it's a pipe dream.

You know, I totally agree. There have been others who say that CCL has other options that still remain to cruise on. I still hope that the Magic will spend the entire season in Europe in 2011.....maybe it's a pipe dream.

Then we can put some Magic in our pipes and Dream ;) I do not want to go back to Alaska or Hawaii, just the thought of it makes me cringe. Of course my DH would go in a heart beat. There is just so much of Europe that I have not been to. Time is not on our sides, we can not wait long to go back.

Then we can put some Magic in our pipes and Dream ;) I do not want to go back to Alaska or Hawaii, just the thought of it makes me cringe. Of course my DH would go in a heart beat. There is just so much of Europe that I have not been to. Time is not on our sides, we can not wait long to go back.

I echo your thoughts. We had plans for groups to both northern European and eastern med cruises when Carnival pulled the plug on Europe.

I echo your thoughts. We had plans for groups to both northern European and eastern med cruises when Carnival pulled the plug on Europe.

I can not even imagine how disappointed you must have been. I can not imagine how sad you were. That is one thing that Carnival made a huge mistake with; when they pulled those sailings.

My DH and I were so blessed (well, I was LOL, he says he was "dragged to Europe) that we were on the Splendor last year in Europe. It truly was a magical cruise and 45th wedding anniversary.

We would LOVE to see Carnival in Europe ... or even South America. Right now our best option looks like NCL for those itins ... but we much prefer Carnival. If they're going to do it, I hope they decide soon! We are looking at booking one for 2010 or 2011! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

We decided today to cruise this summer in Europe after going too long without a cruise. We were shocked that Carnival is not in Europe. However the summer schedule for the Dream has not been posted while 2011 Caribbean is already posted. We are hoping Carnival decides to send the Dream to the Mediterannean. In fact we would love a 12-14 night eastern mediterranean cruise that includes Athens and Istanbul. We will hold out booking with another ship with the hope that Carnival will change its mind.

We decided today to cruise this summer in Europe after going too long without a cruise. We were shocked that Carnival is not in Europe. However the summer schedule for the Dream has not been posted while 2011 Caribbean is already posted. We are hoping Carnival decides to send the Dream to the Mediterannean. In fact we would love a 12-14 night eastern mediterranean cruise that includes Athens and Istanbul. We will hold out booking with another ship with the hope that Carnival will change its mind.

Sorry to disappoint, but the Dream Itin is posted for next summer, all Caribbean.

Archived