Mexican Riviera NCL Star (which airport?)

downsized

We're a party of 9 departing 03/20/10 on the NCL Star.

I've done a bit of searching here, but still need some help.

My thoughts are (at this time) to fly down the day before and stay the night (I've had my luggage "misplaced" once by an airline, and will certainly feel better if I arrive a day early.)

Should we fly in from Portland to LAX, or Long Beach?

Are there any suggestions as to where to stay the night (preferably close to the pier?)

What can we expect to pay for transfers from the airport to the terminal?

We're a party of 9 departing 03/20/10 on the NCL Star.

I've done a bit of searching here, but still need some help.

My thoughts are (at this time) to fly down the day before and stay the night (I've had my luggage "misplaced" once by an airline, and will certainly feel better if I arrive a day early.)

Should we fly in from Portland to LAX, or Long Beach?

Are there any suggestions as to where to stay the night (preferably close to the pier?)

What can we expect to pay for transfers from the airport to the terminal?

You made a great decision to fly in a day early!

I like the small size and ease of flying in to Long Beach, but it will most likely come down to price and flight selection to decide which airport to use.

This week we are flying into LAX mainly because it was a couple hundred dollars cheaper per person! :eek:

We've stayed at both the DoubleTree and the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro and like both. We prefer the Crowne Plaza for the location a bit better. We found it easier to walk to dining and shipping locations.

As far as shuttle to from the airport to the hotels, you can check the SuperShuttle website and find fares from about $17 each way per person. For a party of your size, I would look into reserving a private van and driver from one of the local companies to be able to take all of you and your luggage together.

Good Luck...and HAVE FUN!

:)

Another smaller, easy airport is Orange County (SNA). Most of the majors have flights from PDX, although more are connecting into SNA compared to LAX. The fares often vary a lot compared to LAX...sometimes lower, sometimes way higher. It pays to check.

SNA is about 35 miles from San Pedro...the farthest of the three airports but not way farther.

I just want to note that you are doing right to fly in the day before the cruise.

As noted the Long Beach airport is easy to use and closer to San Pedro which is the up side and the down side is less flights. LAX will have substantially more flights but is located about 45 minutes driving time from San Pedro. Drive can vary a more or less depending on time of day and day of week due to traffic.

Keith

I see PDX-LGB for $84 (before taxes) each way around your March dates. This is on Alaska, SNA is around $130, LAX is $160, and BUR/ONT are very high. I recommend checking JetBlue on the same route; also Southwest (connection required and they don't fly into LGB). If the Alaska fare is the lowest, I would strike while the iron is hot.....I have a feeling it won't last for long, especially as other cruise pax start booking air travel.

This is an astonishingly (to me) low fare.

Archived