Chops or Portofino?

dhay

icon1.gifChops or Portofino

Hi everyone! :) DH and I are planning to go on the Navigator for the November 30 5 night cruise for our 1 year anniversarry to the Carribbean and we have never eaten at Chops or Portofino. We like both Italian and Steak equally and we were curious if one of the restaurants were better than the other in temrs of the quality of the food.

Any insight would be appreciated!

TIA!

I thought both restaurants were really good, but I was really impressed with the steak choices in Chops. I have to say it was probably one of the best steaks (filet mignon) I have ever had. I would do Chops again in a heart beat. I'm not sure I would do Portofinos again just because I have already experienced. The food is good, but chops is outstanding :-)

RCI's website has menu's for each restaurant in pdf format. You can check the menus, decide what you might order in each restaurant and then choose one or both.

They are both outstanding. But, if you like Italian, I don't think you'll find that on Chops menu.

I really liked the Chop salad and the desserts. I don't remember the desserts when I was in Portofino, so I guess they were not as memorable as the ones I we had at Chops. I don't think the dessert menus are posted.

RCI's website has menu's for each restaurant in pdf format. You can check the menus, decide what you might order in each restaurant and then choose one or both.

They are both outstanding. But, if you like Italian, I don't think you'll find that on Chops menu.

I really liked the Chop salad and the desserts. I don't remember the desserts when I was in Portofino, so I guess they were not as memorable as the ones I we had at Chops. I don't think the dessert menus are posted.

They do a sampler desert in Portofino which is amazing with tiramasu as one sampler.

You know what? you need to try both, they are both very good and well worth the extra.

Hi everyone! :) DH and I are planning to go on the Navigator for the November 30 5 night cruise for our 1 year anniversarry to the Carribbean and we have never eaten at Chops or Portofino. We like both Italian and Steak equally and we were curious if one of the restaurants were better than the other in temrs of the quality of the food.

TIA!

Hi dhay,

we (Giorgio and Raffaella) sailed on Navigator 7 nights western mediterranean 3 weeks ago (aug 30 - sept 6) and as italian we liked to try something different so we went on CHOPS 3 times and never on Portofino.

We dont have words to tell how much was nice.

The Director of CHOPS, Joao from Portugal its incredible gentle and understanding for every need you could have (i.e. we asked a table close to the window to see the departure on Barcellona, and he did), he should be still on the ship when you will board it.

Not to mention how big its the filet you can eat on CHOPS.

I had it also on MDR too ($ 15) but the one on CHOPS was better and much more nice on presentation.

The restaurant itself its also very nice.

If you have specific question, please let us know

Both specialty restaurants are very good. The service is excellent in both.

One thing about Portofino being "italian", it is , but it is NOT your local chicken parm, spaghetti and meatballs, minestrone soup kind of Italian. It is much more upscale with influences from Tuscany and other regions of Italy besides the southern Italian red sauce specialities (not that they aren't delicious!).

I am probably the only one who is not overly impressed with the seafood skewer. The presentation is awesome, the quality of the seafood...not so much. Maybe I hit an off day or maybe I am spoiled by the seafood here in New England.

On the other hand , the filet mignon in Portofino was just as good if not better than the one in Chops.

Appetizers, side dishes and desserts were very good in both venues.

You will have a delicious meal at either restaurant. Enjoy!

I have to put my two cents in on this one. It is totally subjective and it comes down to what you like. I have eaten in all of the major steak houses in Chicago and the surrounding area. Well not all but at least 90% of them. My experience at chops was awesome on the Mariner and I can’t wait until my next cruise to try them again. It was not the best steak of my life but it was very very good. They let you know ahead of time that it will take two hours and the DW and I had a great time just being together. When I vacation I am not in a hurry to go anywhere so that was fine by me. By the way best steak ever for me was at Craftsteak in Vegas……I have been to most of those steak houses as well.

Both specialty restaurants are very good. The service is excellent in both.

One thing about Portofino being "italian", it is , but it is NOT your local chicken parm, spaghetti and meatballs, minestrone soup kind of Italian. It is much more upscale with influences from Tuscany and other regions of Italy besides the southern Italian red sauce specialities (not that they aren't delicious!).

I am probably the only one who is not overly impressed with the seafood skewer. The presentation is awesome, the quality of the seafood...not so much. Maybe I hit an off day or maybe I am spoiled by the seafood here in New England.

On the other hand , the filet mignon in Portofino was just as good if not better than the one in Chops.

Appetizers, side dishes and desserts were very good in both venues.

You will have a delicious meal at either restaurant. Enjoy!

I'd like to ask what nights you would choose to go to these restaurants??:confused: I'm always afraid I'll miss sa special night in the MDR;)

You can check the dining room menu first as it is posted outside the dining room each day after lunch. On most of our cruises, Chops and Portofino were pretty open for reservations (although this is not always the case), so we would just check the dining room menu and if nothing looked really good to us, we would make a reservation at one of the specialty restaurants for that evening.

You can also ask your waiter or the maitre'd about any special events that may be coming up inthe dining room such as singing waiters,etc.

You can check the dining room menu first as it is posted outside the dining room each day after lunch. On most of our cruises, Chops and Portofino were pretty open for reservations (although this is not always the case), so we would just check the dining room menu and if nothing looked really good to us, we would make a reservation at one of the specialty restaurants for that evening.

You can also ask your waiter or the maitre'd about any special events that may be coming up inthe dining room such as singing waiters,etc.

That's good to know. I thought we would have to have reservations in advance. Thanks for this information:)

TIA!

I went to both on the Mariner. In my opinion Chops was far and away much better than Portofino.

With the advent of these alt. restaurants on all lines I started noting MDR menus. I found 1st, last and nites ships were in port at dinner hours produced the most marginal MDR offerings. Also, easier to book the alternative restaurants.

Archived