Confusion from the 9/17 policy change. Sailing soon with FCC? Verify your OBC!

junglejane

As predicted by Toto and others, the Sept. 17 policy change regarding FCC's is causing much confusion. This is just a warning to those sailing soon that if you used just one FCC for your booking, you should verify that you're getting the proper OBC and probably should take some sort of confirmation with you.

After reading Coral's thread on the Sept. 17 change (see: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1062411), I decided to check on our OBC's for our Oct. 10 cruise on the Sapphire Princess. We booked this cruise about six months ago. We used two FCC's, one in my name and one in DH's, to book two rooms for ourselves and our 2 DD's (one adult and one child in each room). At the time of booking we paid an additional $200 in deposits for the two kids. Final payment was made in July.

Under the "old" system, we would expect that all four of us will get the OBC's that come from using the two FCC's. The new policy is that you need a separate FCC for each person. If you book using just one FCC, you won't get the OBC for the second person. This new policy is just supposed to affect bookings after Sept. 17. Does it come as a surprise to anyone that this is not working as planned?

I asked our TA to send me confirmations showing the appropriate OBC's (we also have shareholder benefits and an OBC from our TA). My TA just called to tell me that our OBC's for our 2 kids had "been removed" from our bookings. She had to spend 30 minutes on the phone with Princess to get it straightened out. They finally acknowledged that we should get the OBC's, but they had to put them back in "manually." Anyway, I have now printed out the new confirmations and packed them with my boarding passes. You can bet that I will be checking at the purser's desk during the cruise to make sure they're reflected on board.

After reading on what happened to some people in regards to not receiving the appropriate OBC especially on the 100.00 deposit and not the FCC I called my TA who told me that all of her clients records have and still are getting the OBC. She checked our cruise which is next month and all is fine. So maybe some TA's are having problems but my TA said that Princess has kept the OBC intact. By the way I used 1 FCC and my DH we paid the deposti of $100.00 and all is well.

Marilyn

After reading this thread I checked My Princess account (which is always confusing to me) and then called the Captains Circle people. Even though I have booked through an online TA Steven, the Captain Circle rep, answered my questions and verified that that my OBC were correct to the dollar amount when I booked 4 months ago.

In conversation it came out that I had read on Cruise Critics that the policy had changed regarding FCC's as of 17 Sep. He stated that the only change he was aware of was that there would be no more extentions of FCC's after the four years. When I asked about no longer being able to use one FCC for the first two people plus $100.00 he stated that was still in effect. He put me on hold and double checked with the Princess internal "Help Desk". When he came back, his comment was the FCC's rules are still the same, that I had received bogus information, and that I should feel free to post this information on Cruise Critics using his name.

I know, I know, if you talk to X number of Princess reps you get X number of different responses. But this was the Captains Circle Dept. not just the Princess rep that you get on the 800 number. Maybe I'll call the Captains Circle again tomorrow and see if it changes.

At least my OBC's are still there.:D

Jfv379, I am very happy for you and for Marilyn that your OBC's are not screwed up as mine were. But I think you are unintentionally misleading people (and will cost them $$) if you lead them to believe that for future bookings they can use one FCC and still get the OBC for two people.

If this Captain's Circle rep is so happy to have you post this info "under his name" then what is his name?

BTW, no one will be happier than I will be if Princess backs off from this policy change. All I'm trying to do is give people a "heads up."

jfv-Yep, I would call back and ask again, only next time call Princess CSR's instead of the Captain's circle rep. Too many passengers are having to go in and reinstate their OBC for the second passenger on their booking which has been wiped out by the new rules. And there have also been some onboard the ships right now saying they have talked to the future cruise rep and they also verified the change took place last week.

As usual with Princess phone reps, the right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand might be doing. Such a shame they can't alert all that work at the call center to rule and policy changes. :)

For us, it's just not worth the price to take a chance on the next booking. Since I am FCC'less right now, i will just purchase extras onboard next week to be safe. ;)

I know, I know, if you talk to X number of Princess reps you get X number of different responses. But this was the Captains Circle Dept. not just the Princess rep that you get on the 800 number. Maybe I'll call the Captains Circle again tomorrow and see if it changes.

At least my OBC's are still there.:D

My intention was not to mislead anyone. I was just posting what Steven related after I checked on my OBC. I have always received excellent information from CC members and have taken their advise on many occassions. That's why I checked after reading this infomoration. And I will keep checking and double checking on Princess.

I take nothing for granted and apologize if anyone would be misled by my post.

Since I'm one of the people who had their OBC disappear I will for sure in the future use one FCC for each of us. Yes it was reinstated but I had to call & thank you to these boards for making me aware of the change. Luckily we are sailing in 2 weeks since all the FCC are in my name. Now I'm purchasing the new ones in my husbands name.

When I called my CSR had no idea that you only had to use 1 FCC before & both get the OBC so I'm sure most of them don't know about the change either. My advise is to call & call again.

I just booked a cruise for Jan. 31 and tried to use a FCC booked Dec. 8, 2005. I was told I could not use it because you have to sail before the expiration date - not book and pay before the expiration date. There is nothing in my paperwork that says you have to sail by the expiration date.

Now they are insisting on refunding the $100 deposit to a closed credit card in my husband's name - and he passed away in February. How much extra work will that take for me to get te deposit back.

And, of course, I loose the OBC.

Buyers and holders of FCC beware - they make and change the rules to benefit themselves.

In conversation it came out that I had read on Cruise Critics that the policy had changed regarding FCC's as of 17 Sep. He stated that the only change he was aware of was that there would be no more extentions of FCC's after the four years. When I asked about no longer being able to use one FCC for the first two people plus $100.00 he stated that was still in effect. He put me on hold and double checked with the Princess internal "Help Desk". When he came back, his comment was the FCC's rules are still the same, that I had received bogus information, and that I should feel free to post this information on Cruise Critics using his name.

That's exactly the info I got when I called my Princess rep. The policy has not changed.

I just booked a cruise for Jan. 31 and tried to use a FCC booked Dec. 8, 2005. I was told I could not use it because you have to sail before the expiration date - not book and pay before the expiration date. There is nothing in my paperwork that says you have to sail by the expiration date.

Now they are insisting on refunding the $100 deposit to a closed credit card in my husband's name - and he passed away in February. How much extra work will that take for me to get te deposit back.

Buyers and holders of FCC beware - they make and change the rules to benefit themselves.

Actually, on your Princess Circle savings account, there is a 'sail by date' attached to FCC's. Not a 'book by date' as you imply. One problem you would have now with that FCC is that if it were in your husbands name, it will be useless to you anyway, since the way they have changed the FCC's as of last week. Sorry! I hope you can convince them to at least send you a check for the refund.(But even that could possibly be in your husbands name if he was the one that purchased the FCC). Best of luck with this.

I believe that you have always had to sail within four years, not just book.

I was always told that you had to BOOK within the 4 year limit - not sail. I would check with someone else!

I was always told that you had to BOOK within the 4 year limit - not sail. I would check with someone else!

If you have any FCC's in your Circle Savings account, take a look at them. They have a sail by date on them (and it actually says 'sail by') which is 4 years from the date of purchase, since it also shows the date of purchase on them, it is easy to spot. ;)

As predicted by Toto and others, the Sept. 17 policy change regarding FCC's is causing much confusion. This is just a warning to those sailing soon that if you used just one FCC for your booking, you should verify that you're getting the proper OBC and probably should take some sort of confirmation with you.

I asked our TA to send me confirmations showing the appropriate OBC's (we also have shareholder benefits and an OBC from our TA). My TA just called to tell me that our OBC's for our 2 kids had "been removed" from our bookings. She had to spend 30 minutes on the phone with Princess to get it straightened out. They finally acknowledged that we should get the OBC's, but they had to put them back in "manually." Anyway, I have now printed out the new confirmations and packed them with my boarding passes. You can bet that I will be checking at the purser's desk during the cruise to make sure they're reflected on board.

Yes, Jane, this is what I posted in the other thread. EVERYONE needs to check their FCC OBCs if they used only 1 per booking and booked before Sept. 17th, 2009. I spent a lot of time with Princess' Customer Relations Dept. working this out because the majority of the CSRs are telling the TAs bad information - that their clients will not get the FCC OBC reinstated or that "yes, it's there", when it isn't. :mad:

Archived