I hate tipping.........

doemichael

Now before anyone slates me I hate tipping because I am never sure how much to tip not because I do not want to reward good service. I live in UK and tipping is not done as much as in USA. If we go to a restaurant yes we tip, usually 10%. I have been to Florida 3 times so know tipping is expected and but the first time you go it is a bit of a shock when a waiter/waitress gives you your bill and points out on it " gratuities not included "

I would add I have never not felt the service when in America did not deserve a tip but would like it to be at my choice of amount not feel it has to be 15%-20%.

Now to my point , I have my supply of $1 and $5 notes for tips, we have prepaid our gratuites when we paid for cruise but know there will be times when we will pay extra. So am I right that when we arrive in Barcelona porters will take luggage and we time him ? $1-$2 per bag ?

What about coach driver for transfers? We tip him in euros and how much ? I know if we get room service we tip for that again how much ?

all so confusing,

If I visit the UK I would learn their guidelines and customs and abide by them.

When visiting the US you should tip no less than 15 percent for good service. End of story. I don't care where someone is from and what they do over there. Period.

Enjoy your visits here though.

Now before anyone slates me I hate tipping because I am never sure how much to tip not because I do not want to reward good service. I live in UK and tipping is not done as much as in USA. If we go to a restaurant yes we tip, usually 10%. I have been to Florida 3 times so know tipping is expected and but the first time you go it is a bit of a shock when a waiter/waitress gives you your bill and points out on it " gratuities not included "

I would add I have never not felt the service when in America did not deserve a tip but would like it to be at my choice of amount not feel it has to be 15%-20%.

Now to my point , I have my supply of $1 and $5 notes for tips, we have prepaid our gratuites when we paid for cruise but know there will be times when we will pay extra. So am I right that when we arrive in Barcelona porters will take luggage and we time him ? $1-$2 per bag ?

What about coach driver for transfers? We tip him in euros and how much ? I know if we get room service we tip for that again how much ?

all so confusing,

Yes, a $1-$2 tip per bag is fine.

A couple dollars for the driver is fine.

Room service the same $1-$2

A Euro is worth more than a U.S. dollar so that might make a difference to you.

Try not to let the tipping stress you.

JMO,

Colleen

Yes, a $1-$2 tip per bag is fine.

A couple dollars for the driver is fine.

Room service the same $1-$2

A Euro is worth more than a U.S. dollar so that might make a difference to you.

Try not to let the tipping stress you.

JMO,

Colleen

thanks Colleen , just would not want to insult anyone by not giving enough when it is for something that does not have a total value like a restauarnt bill.

Yes I did say I do not agree with being told how much to tip but still do it to the guideline of where I am. Just needed some advice on porters and room service.

thanks for your reply anyway

I would feel irritated if a waitress pointed out to me that 'Gratuities are not included' I don't care what country that she is in...:eek: that is NOT good service. 15% is just a guideline, give what YOU feel the server has earned.

Porters, $1 per bag handled. Lots of times at Ports you are just giving the bag to someone who then puts it on a delivery cart- If we have really heavy bags, (3) they load and unload, I give a $5.

Room service, I give $2 whenever they bring a tray, it's usually just coffee and a Danish for me in the am. They walk a LONG way.

If all 3 of us are in the cabin and they are delivering a meal to each of us I give a $5.

I think the whole forced tipping thing is rediculus! I am from Australia(where prople do not tip) and here everyone gets paid a salary, taxi drivers, waiter/watresses whatever, you know your salary when you aplpy for a job, you should not assume that you are going to get a tip and rely on that as part of your salary. A tip is just that, a tip and it should be given if you feel you recieved good service and the person deserves to be given a few extra dollars. To force someone to tip (I.E pre pay gratuities) In my own opinion is not right. I know people on here will now be so upset at my comments but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is that ever though I DO TIP when in countries that do expect tips, it is only becasue I have to and I just do not like it!

Let the firing squad begin on me now.

one of the posts did make a good point...If I was traveling in another country I would make every effort to go by the customs there...

But as far as drivers and the like go...usually a few bucks for a short trip and maybe a little more for like a cab ride of significant distance. We typically tip the porters $1 per bag if we use them...and then basically any service person that really adds to our experience...

I think the whole forced tipping thing is rediculus! I am from Australia(where prople do not tip) and here everyone gets paid a salary, taxi drivers, waiter/watresses whatever, you know your salary when you aplpy for a job, you should not assume that you are going to get a tip and rely on that as part of your salary. A tip is just that, a tip and it should be given if you feel you recieved good service and the person deserves to be given a few extra dollars. To force someone to tip (I.E pre pay gratuities) In my own opinion is not right. I know people on here will now be so upset at my comments but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is that ever though I DO TIP when in countries that do expect tips, it is only becasue I have to and I just do not like it!

Let the firing squad begin on me now.

The difference here is that the wage paid for waitresses ect....is lower than that paid to servers in Australia. My son is currently in Melbourne and has worked for Subway here in Canada at $9 per hour yet in Melbourne the airport subway pays $19 per hour. Quite the difference in the hourly wage. However that being said the US can be silly about tipping as they have tipping jars everywhere from fast food restaurants and such places where one would not normally tip.

My opinion is that if a server or person in an industry where tips are earned is that if they have to point out to tip than they aren't used to giving good service. I always tip but find it rude to be told to tip when the bill is dropped off.

The difference here is that the wage paid for waitresses ect....is lower than that paid to servers in Australia. My son is currently in Melbourne and has worked for Subway here in Canada at $9 per hour yet in Melbourne the airport subway pays $19 per hour. Quite the difference in the hourly wage. However that being said the US can be silly about tipping as they have tipping jars everywhere from fast food restaurants and such places where one would not normally tip.

My opinion is that if a server or person in an industry where tips are earned is that if they have to point out to tip than they aren't used to giving good service. I always tip but find it rude to be told to tip when the bill is dropped off.

That is my point. I do tip when traveling to to USA, but I just don't like being told that I HAVE to and how much I have to tip them. It should be my choice. I have been to many places in amreica where service was shocking! but I still had to tip and I totally disagree.

Why let it get you upset? If your tip is not what they might expect, the worst they will do is scowl at you - they are not going to throw your suitcase or empty plate at you and they are people you will never see again. If you end up undertipping for a locale, chances are the next one will overtip so it balances out.

And as for having it pointed out that gratuities are not included, when I am traveling in European countries I have learned to ask if service is included, which it usually is, but many US citizens do not realize that and tip on top of it when service is already included:)

That is my point. I do tip when traveling to to USA, but I just don't like being told that I HAVE to and how much I have to tip them. It should be my choice. I have been to many places in amreica where service was shocking! but I still had to tip and I totally disagree.

I have to ask when you have been told you must tip. The only time I have seen gratuity included is in larger groups, which might be the reason the waiter said something. I have had it included in a bill when I had such horrible service that I had to complain to the manager and it was taken off. Just remember like others have stated that in the u.s. wages are lower for jobs were tips are expected. In other countries their salary would be higher and thus your bill will be higher so it all balances out in the end

Don't ever tip for shocking service. That is the BEST way to tell them their server is lousy. No one HAS to tip.

Just curious- what does a sandwich cost in Melbourne compared to here? Someone has to be paying for those salaries....

A foot long is $5.35 here. :eek:

Yeah but it's a lot more in NY than $5.35 so it all depends.

OP, like someone said, if you get crappy service in the US, you can leave a lesser tip. No one's forcing you to leave 15%. It's simply recommended that if you get decent service you leave a minimum of 15%. But leaving 10% will certainly let the server know he/she sucks.

And I agree with you, Casidy. The problem with this country that I'll NEVER understand is how restaurants get away with paying salaries of $2.17/hour to their servers. It's like they're saying, "Screw you" to the PUBLIC because for some reason, it's up to US to pay their salaries.

I guess you could argue that otherwise, restaurants would cost too much for anyone to eat in...but it's gotta be all relative. Who knows...it's just annoying.

The problem with this country that I'll NEVER understand is how restaurants get away with paying salaries of $2.17/hour to their servers. It's like they're saying, "Screw you" to the PUBLIC because for some reason, it's up to US to pay their salaries.

I guess you could argue that otherwise, restaurants would cost too much for anyone to eat in...but it's gotta be all relative. Who knows...it's just annoying.

amybeth,

You could say the exact same thing about the cruise lines.

Colleen

There are plenty of servers and bartenders in the US who do not get any money at all on their paycheck. By law, the restaurant must track their sales and withhold wages based on "expected" tips -- so if they sell $2000 worth of food and drink in a night, the restaurant assumes they earned at least $240 (I think we used 12% when I was in the biz) in cash tips, so their tax withholding is based on $2.xx per hour x 6 hours worked + $240. When their paycheck for hourly wages shows up, it totals to $0.00.

And there are many servers and bartenders who make a very good living -- one of my good friends at a pretty fancy place drives a $50k sports car and owns a $500k condo, all from 2 bartending jobs.

Cultural differences are funny though -- I got yelled at in a bar in Melbourne for leaving a tip on the bar after a round of drinks (by another customer, not the bartender!). On another occasion, while partying with some Aussies in Manhattan NYC, we almost got thrown out because one guy banged his empty bottle on the bar to signal the bartender that he wanted another round. She didn't appreciate that at all; it's a level of disrespect right up there with whistling for a waitress.

amybeth,

You could say the exact same thing about the cruise lines.

Colleen

That's what I was getting at when I said it's all relative. My guess is if it didn't start this way in the first place (and then so many industries followed suit), it wouldn't be the issue we ASSUME it would be if service industries paid employees the way everyone ELSE does.

If we had to tip city bus drivers, would our fares be lower? If I had to tip cashiers at Best Buy, would my computer cost less?

Who knows? But I doubt it...

I have my supply of $1 and $5 notes for tips,

We didn't take any $ to use as tips, We tipped in €. I took a bag of €1 coins for that purpose.

We didn't tip the porters at Barcelona - the bags were whisked off so fast we barely got chance!

Everytime we had room service delivered we tipped €2

From what I read on here I was almost expecting the staff to be begging for tips, but that really wasn't the case.

That's what I was getting at when I said it's all relative. My guess is if it didn't start this way in the first place (and then so many industries followed suit), it wouldn't be the issue we ASSUME it would be if service industries paid employees the way everyone ELSE does.

If we had to tip city bus drivers, would our fares be lower? If I had to tip cashiers at Best Buy, would my computer cost less?

Who knows? But I doubt it...

And if you didn't have to tip wait staff and other service people how would it effect service?

Its an incentive for service industry people to work harder. I always tip based off performance and have tipped over 25% for excellent service and when I have not left a tip I have spoken to a manager regarding it.

thanks everyone for taking the time to reply

We didn't take any $ to use as tips, We tipped in €. I took a bag of €1 coins for that purpose.

your lucky you use euros anyway, hard to get euro coins here as most places you order currency from only issue notes not coins coins although found a purse today from last trip to europe with some coins in it lol

Over the past two years reading CC I have come across this topic so many times. I have read that tipping is expected, nessisary, over done, and a bone of contention in the cruise industry. I have read that crews on ships hate to be based in Australian and British waters because we dont tip. You can see any day of the week that cruises in American waters are far cheaper than cruises anywhere else in the world, some put that down to tipping.

One constant thing you do get when ever someone brings up this topic or asks for advice is a complete lack of understanding and respect of other peoples cultures from a very few here.

As someone who comes from a non tipping culture and has owned bars and restaurants I do find some replys on this subject offensive but lets not get into that. To the original writer my advice is tip when you wish to and dont if you dont think its due. A tip should be exactly that a reward for making you feel special. I actually spoke to a waitress in Hawaii about this very topic on my first trip to the US and she told me not to worry about the amount, they understand the difference in cultures and understand why the tip maybe not forth coming from some overseas visitors. Maybe those in the industries affected are more understanding than some writers on CC.

Australian cruise sellers most of the time get us to prepay tips as part of the package to avoid any misunderstandings on the account at the end of the cruise. Please, when this topic comes up the next time remember that everyone is different and some of us are just tring to find out how not to offend and how to be respectful while in your countries, as we hope you would if you visited ours.

Have a nice day everyone:D.

John

Archived