Domenica or St. Lucia?

saldino

Both are lush, hilly islands w/great natural beauty. I've been to both and have to vote for St. Lucia, hands down. But I am sure there will be many who prefer the different (sometimes a bit more drizzly in the interior) natural beauty of Dominica.

The first two time we visited St. Lucia, we did tours to the pitons by water. On the first one, we disembarked at Anse Chastenet. My husband later boarded a boat & did 2 dives while I snorkeled by myself off shore in a marine sanctuary. Snorkeling was decent, though not in the class of the best places I've snorkeled. We also had lunch at the Anse Chastnet resort & lounged around the beach (checking out some of the cool accommodations perched above!). On our way back to port, we saw numerous rainbows, going in and out of sun and leftover clouds. Just lovely! Upon arriving back in port, we had a little time to walk over to a nice little shopping village near the port Then our capt. sailed past the pitons that evening, just so everyone could get a glimpse of them, though it was nearly dark. The next visit, we made a deal w/a minivan driver to take a party of 6 of us on a 2 hour tour around Castries, up into the hillside, then to Souffiere, stopping to see the beautiful views throughout our little tour. Well worth the few bucks we paid. Afterwards, we did a catamaran sail past the pitons, w/a stop at a beach for a swim. (The roads are very winding and hilly, so it's not wise to plan a road trip to the area near the pitons. Cabs to do this can cost well over $100 and it takes up too much time.) There are also some top ranked all inclusives that allow visitors, but for a first visit, I would definitely go see the beautiful pitons that are so famous in photos. I also preferred the sights along the coast of St. Lucia more than Dominica's. St. Lucia looks much more like areas of the South Pacific (such as Moorea and other French Polynesian Islands) than the usual caribbean island. Many of it's beaches are lined w/very tall palms in a "Bali Hai" type look to them - esp. a few in the area of the pitons and just past them a bit.

Dominica is very lush and has waterfalls, small volcanic, sulphur-odored fumeroles that about all tours take you to, and such. Other than one interesting sight to see lots of tiny bubbles rising in the water at Champagne Reef, it is not that great for snorkeling. . We did a tour w/a well known guide w/some people from our CC roll call. I'd recommend this if it is your first time. You can swim in a small, cold "swimmin' hole" at the bottom of a waterfall if you dare to go in (some people didn't).

Have a great cruise whichever one you pick! :)

I've been to both and vote for Dominica for the lush mountains,waterfalls,titou gorge, and snorkeling in our drivers fishing village. There is too much to do in Dominica in one trip with all the mountain driving. It to us was more junglish with fruit trees and no insects to bother you. The Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed there.

As for St. Lucia, ditto on the water tours instead of the lengthy winding road. We snorkeled in a cove by a town where boats were docked. The snorkeling was pretty interesting there with the reef attached to the side of the mountain that ran into very deep water. We went out too far and almost got sucked out to sea with a strong current. Both have unforgetable sights, tough question to answere.

I loved both islands, but they are quite different from each other. Dominica is a rainforest and very lush and rainy. St. Lucia is breathtaking as well. I hired Frank Charles for the day and he took us all around the island on a private tour, stopping wherever we wanted. If I really had to choose, I would pick St. Lucia simply because I love the beach and he took us to Jalousie - the one between the Pitons - and it was just gorgeous.

St. Lucia without a doubt. We're on the Carnival Victory stopping in Dominica in January and we're treating it like a sea day.

Just my 2 cents but this a big mistake! - Dominica is one of the most amazing places on earth and the people are wonderful - at least get off and take a cab site seeing the Island.

Just my 2 cents but this a big mistake! -

Dominica is one of the most amazing places on earth and the people are wonderful

- at least get off and take a cab sight-seeing the Island. ===> Go up to nearby Morne Bruce lookout site

Even if you only got off the ship to mosey around the town

within 200 yds. of where the dock puts you ashore -like we did

at least you get to see what the ladies have to offer at their stalls under the umbrellas

Dominica-068.jpg

Spend an hour or two ashore like that and be back on the ship for lunch

-and for the rest of the afternoon it's your almost-empty ship to enjoy

DOM-Roseau-47.jpg

The view from Morne Bruce' date=' overlooking Roseau.

Archived