Private overland in Egypt -visa question

mheslop

Has anyone every left the ship in one port in Egypt, done an overnight and then rejoined the ship in either the same port or a different one - but NOT on a Cunard excursion. We want to leave the Vic in Sharm, fly to Cairo and rejoin the ship the next day in Port Said. I am worried about the visa and wonder if anyone has done this and can offer some insight. I have contacted Cunard and ZVS - no help at all. All passports are stamped with visas when we arrive in Egypt- but they are in Arabic and I have no idea if we can go off on our own. Last year, we did the overnight with Cunard, so no problem. This year we want to go it alone. Thanks for any help.

Having holidayed in Sharm (travelled by air), a visa is required should you wish to leave the area. Last time we were there, visas were purchased at the airport for a charge of 10 dollars each. The visa is a 'sticker' which is put in your passport. I assume if Cunard are offering these trips, then they should be able to advise as to how you would acquire one independently? Hope this helps. You could also try looking on trip advisor and putting a post on there regarding how to acquire a visa outside of the airport.

Having holidayed in Sharm (travelled by air), a visa is required should you wish to leave the area. Last time we were there, visas were purchased at the airport for a charge of 10 dollars each. The visa is a 'sticker' which is put in your passport. I assume if Cunard are offering these trips, then they should be able to advise as to how you would acquire one independently? Hope this helps. You could also try looking on trip advisor and putting a post on there regarding how to acquire a visa outside of the airport.

Thanks, kustom. Cunard is of no help whatsoever. But lots of good info here., including yours. Thanks.

For full info try here http://www.touregypt.net/visa.htm

Thank you, capnpugwash. This is the best info so far. We got the 24-hr. visa last year, we will need the 3-day one. It looks as though it is granted when authorities come onboard. Cunard, of course, denies any knowledge of how this works. We'll just have to trust the pursar's office or spring for one in advance. Cheers!

Has anyone every left the ship in one port in Egypt, done an overnight and then rejoined the ship in either the same port or a different one - but NOT on a Cunard excursion. We want to leave the Vic in Sharm, fly to Cairo and rejoin the ship the next day in Port Said. I am worried about the visa and wonder if anyone has done this and can offer some insight. I have contacted Cunard and ZVS - no help at all. All passports are stamped with visas when we arrive in Egypt- but they are in Arabic and I have no idea if we can go off on our own. Last year, we did the overnight with Cunard, so no problem. This year we want to go it alone. Thanks for any help.

Hi Muriel.,

Visas for Egypt can be easily obtained by all major border controls in Egypt including Sharm El Sheik , Hurghada, Luxor and Cairo. It costs $USD10 and is as simple as having a small stamp placed in your passport.

The cruiselines obtain a visa to cover their passengers for a period of 72 hours, which covers them for arriving and leaving from the same port and also arriving in one port and leaving from another.

I understand that it is quite expensive to obtain the visa through a US visa company and would suggest that you may like to save your money for a round of marguarittas on the ship amongst your nearest and dearest friends.... I have mine shaken...not iced.....

PS....are you accompanying Blanche this year? Im looking forward to meeting her as I have just finished reading her latest book....

Hi Muriel.,

Visas for Egypt can be easily obtained by all major border controls in Egypt including Sharm El Sheik , Hurghada, Luxor and Cairo. It costs $USD10 and is as simple as having a small stamp placed in your passport.

The cruiselines obtain a visa to cover their passengers for a period of 72 hours, which covers them for arriving and leaving from the same port and also arriving in one port and leaving from another.

I understand that it is quite expensive to obtain the visa through a US visa company and would suggest that you may like to save your money for a round of marguarittas on the ship amongst your nearest and dearest friends.... I have mine shaken...not iced.....

PS....are you accompanying Blanche this year? Im looking forward to meeting her as I have just finished reading her latest book....

Well, well, well, look who is the font of information! Yes Blanche is coming with me....well, so far. She is so mercurial, one never knows. But I'm going no matter what. Glad you liked her latest tome...it wasn't her best. I thought "Beggars and Choosers" was her best.

Well, well, well, look who is the font of information! Yes Blanche is coming with me....well, so far. She is so mercurial, one never knows. But I'm going no matter what. Glad you liked her latest tome...it wasn't her best. I thought "Beggars and Choosers" was her best.

I havnt read that one so Ill get onto it...I found her blog....not sure that I am allowed to post the url here but I believe you both did the midnight sun trip on the QV this year.... Looked like a barrel of laughs!... Im surprised she wasnt asked to be a guest speaker..... I hope they looked after you onboard...regards Roscoe

I found her blog....not sure that I am allowed to post the url here but I believe you both did the midnight sun trip on the QV this year.... Looked like a barrel of laughs!... Im surprised she wasnt asked to be a guest speaker..... I hope they looked after you onboard...regards Roscoe

We did have fun. Blanche was very taken with a Brazilian gentleman.;) There wasn't much time for guest speakers on this trip - not like on the World. However, there is a possibility of lectures on next year's world. And, shhhhh, but she may get on a TV show - she's working on a "tell-it-all"memoir. It'll go way beyond "Beggars and Choosers". I'm sure you'll enjoy meeting her, as long as she's in a good mood. She is known to be moody.

We did have fun. Blanche was very taken with a Brazilian gentleman.;) There wasn't much time for guest speakers on this trip - not like on the World. However, there is a possibility of lectures on next year's world. And, shhhhh, but she may get on a TV show - she's working on a "tell-it-all"memoir. It'll go way beyond "Beggars and Choosers". I'm sure you'll enjoy meeting her, as long as she's in a good mood. She is known to be moody.

cant wait... shes very popular down here in NZ,...I promise not to bow when i meet her!..

Your trip to Cairo sounds interesting.....Im planning a similar overnight myself, maybe we should compare notes. regards

I got an Egyptian Visa for a land/Nile cruise trip I took in 2000

before the trip at the Egyptian Consolate in Manhattan. It took

a couple hours. But at least I had it before I went. I would of

been worried if I didn't have it before the trip. The Consolate in

NYC is on Second Avenue.

• 3 weeks later...
cant wait... shes very popular down here in NZ,...I promise not to bow when i meet her!..

Your trip to Cairo sounds interesting.....Im planning a similar overnight myself, maybe we should compare notes. regards

Glad she's popular in NZ. You may well have to promise not to bow when you meet her because it is highly unlikely that you will. She hosts parties in her huge suite...the captain comes to her not vice versa. She rarely ventures forth except to be whisked away in various ports by sumptuous limousines. She has friends in Mumbai with Rolls and chauffeur. If you are quayside very early when we get to Mumbai you might get the royal wave. But...shhhhh. I didn't tell you.

As for Cairo Blanche would never let me compare notes with anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

We left the ship in Alexandria for a two-day private tour during a Celebrity cruise. What they will stamp your passport with on the ship will be a "short stay" visa good for, I think, 72 hours. We were on a private tour, not on our own, but I don't think that makes a difference regarding the visa.

Archived