Cartegena with kids??

josask

I don't have kids but I know when we were at the Fort there were many kids there. They should find it exciting to see.

I actually only wanted to write to warn you that January is high season here in Colombia. Most schools are out for a three month vacation (like summer in the US). Cartagena should be quite busy. I'll be there in January, too. Our cruise leaves out of Cartagenga.

Any opinions/suggestions of what to do in Cartegena with kids aged 7, 9, 13?? We're planning on a January cruise.

thanks

We are there in Jan with underlings, aged 16 and 10 and are still undecided as to what to do. We have considered the fort but are just not sure. :confused:

• 2 months later...
I don't have kids but I know when we were at the Fort there were many kids there. They should find it exciting to see.

I actually only wanted to write to warn you that January is high season here in Colombia. Most schools are out for a three month vacation (like summer in the US). Cartagena should be quite busy. I'll be there in January, too. Our cruise leaves out of Cartagenga.

What are the months that school in Cartagena is out on break? Also, I am alittle scared touring with my DD12 that's a blue-eyed, blonde....will this make us stand out to would-be kidnappers?

I know I might sound like a worried mother but I have heard many stories over the years about kidnappings and want to make sure my family vacation doesn't turn into a mightmare for us.

What are the months that school in Cartagena is out on break? Also, I am alittle scared touring with my DD12 that's a blue-eyed, blonde....will this make us stand out to would-be kidnappers?

I know I might sound like a worried mother but I have heard many stories over the years about kidnappings and want to make sure my family vacation doesn't turn into a mightmare for us.

I understand your concern, however, the tourist areas of Cartagena will be fine. It is a most beautiful city with much to see, especially compared to other stops on Caribbean cruises. The fort is a great place to go with the kids.

Just got back from Cartagena. It was hotter than hot. You really can't do a lot since it is so hot. It was 90F at 7:30 am with literally 90% humidity. On a cruise, you don't have time to acclimate so it is more shocking. If you do the San Fillipe Fort, do it early in the morning since the walking in the heat in is really tough. Bring water with you or buy bottled water from a street vendor.

There are a lot of armed military and armed police everywhere. You are very safe, but the armed presence is a bit disconcerting. The tourism slogan is "The only thing you will risk is wanting to come back!" With that said, I really like Cartagena and I hope I will return there someday. It is very beautiful in the old town and quite safe.

Majority of schools got out in Mid November and return in Feb. There are a few schools that follow the US calendar so will only have a few weeks for Christmas and New Years.

Please, don't worry about your daughter. I am blond with blue eyes and have been living here over two years. Yes, you will stand out a bit but the only worry that should cause you is you might be quoted higher prices for things, so be sure to haggle. And if you are not careful with your things, you could get mugged like any other place in the world. I'm not going to tell you kidnapping won't happen because it is possible in any US city just the same but you have to understand the politics of the civil war taking place here to understand you daughter is not at risk. The FARC (the revolutionary army doing the kidnapping) are not in or near Cartagena. The Colombian military has run them out of there. They have no interest in your daughter unless she is the daughter to a very well known diplomat or such. Kidnapping should be the least of your worries. Yes, you sound like a very worried mom but before I moved here, I was really scared also. So I understand your concerns. BUT PLEASE don't worry about kidnappings. Colombia is nothing like it was 10 or 20 years ago. She will not be a target for that.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived