Rangoon/Yangon?

Dorinda

We visited there on the Crystal Serenity as part of the 2008 World Cruise.

We took ships tours. I would recommend going with a ships tour.

There are many sites to see.

Sites and places we visited included:

The world-renowned Shwedagon Pagoda. This Pagoda is over 2,500 years old. The site soars at a height of 326 feet and gold plate adorn this structure, which also has 6,500 diamonds, rubies and other precious stones atop this site. The site is amazing and can be seen from a distance of several miles away.

Visit Chauk Htat Gyi which has one of the largest reclining Buddha images in the world.

Visit Maha Bandoola Park and the Sule Pagoda along with the Bogyoke Market also known as Scott Market. We also viewed a replica of Karawek Royal Barge, which is moored in Royal Lake.

There is tremendous poverty in this country.

You have to walk in barefeet in the religious sites.

Keith

Dee, we were actually there for two overnights.

Some people did a ship excursion which involved an overnight at the Strand (I think that was the name) hotel and included a private driver

I don't believe anyone did private tours.

Keep in mind that we do not recognize this country so there are some challenges including payment for the tours (I guess somehow you could get local money but don't believe you can charge the tour) and it's hard to put into words but I think for me we felt better, more comfortable, maybe a bit safer, etc. being on the ships tour.

Keith

Anyone have any info on Burma/Myanmar? I did a search and came up with zilch. The Ocean Princess is stopping there overnight next year. We'd love to find a private tour. Any info will be appreciated!

Cheers, Dee

I would recomend highly Golden Rock Travel & Tours, website: www.visitmyanmar.com. This is a private company with a US toll free phone number offering very reasonably priced tours in Burma. My dh is Burmese and we have heard very good reports about this company and in fact have recommended to others.

Co-incidentally, we were booked on the April 5 Ocean Princess cruise that you are on and cancelled because it is too late in the season for us. We live in Canada, so I am sure you can understand why. We are now booked on the Ocean Dec. 18 - Shanghai to Bangkok. 16 days only and the shortest Princess cruise we have ever taken. Hope to make amends Nov. 21/09 - Capetown to Singapore - also on the Ocean.

Archived