Breakfast and Lunch in MDR?

cruisewish

Generally the MDR is open for breakfast every morning - from 7 to 9 (or 7:30 to 9:30 - something like that). It's open for lunch on sea days, and in CocoCay and Labadee in the Caribbean. For lunch it has a short menu with some interesting things. I had a pretty good steak sandwich last week, and a dessert that was among the best I've ever had on a ship! They also had a beautiful salad bar where they'll make chopped salads, chef's salads and more "interesting" things than you'll find in the Windjammer.

You can always see the menu for breakfast and lunch posted outside of the MDR doors - lunch is posted after breakfast, and breakfast is posted late the evening before. They usually open just one floor/section for breakfast and lunch.

In my opinion the food is fresher and I like having someone serve me rather than have to fight with other passengers over the food at the buffet. Its open seating and you go whenever it’s open. The hours will be on the compass. The menus are diverse enough that we can usually find something to eat. You do not need to get dressed up to go to breakfast, or lunch.

If you're not in a hurry to just choke something down then run, the MDR is a wonderful relaxed breakfast experience.....especially on disembarkation day. From Eggs benedict, all the way down to oatmeal, you can get pretty much anything you want. It is open seating. I don't usually take the time for MDR for lunch.....usually in my bathing suit or on shore.

Based on comments here about missing the boat by going to WJ instead of MDR, we tried the MDR for breakfast several times on our most recent Freedom cruise. The food does seem better, a better atmosphere, and far less hussle and bussle.

On the other hand, the service was not good. Not one morning did we get everything we'd ordered (the ancillary items - juice, coffee, toast .. things like that), and sometimes the main dish took a very long time to come to the table. I yearned for the simplicity of going to get my own glass of water as you could in WJ.

I think we'd do it again. Just make sure you're in a patient mood.

It's been a couple of years since we've cruised but, the MDR has always opened later than the Windjammer and that's sometimes limited our ability to utilize it when we have morning shore excursions. I'm usually an early riser when we're cruising and it irritates me that there's little selection at 06:00. I seems to be that there's a rather poor continental breakfast pre-Windjammer opening, then the Windjammer opened around 7:00 and the MDR opened around 08:00.

Personally, like the MDR for breakfast. The menu doesn't change but they have enough of a selection the I have no problem finding something to order. They seat people as they get there and you'll be seated at large tables with groups of other guests. They have generally taken our orders not long after we're seated but it always seems as if the breakfast doesn't start to arrive until the table if full and everyone has ordered, making the service sometimes slow.

We always use the MDR for breakfast...it's just nicer! It is a set menu, but every breakfast food is there...you can "mix and match" from the menu.

We've done lunch in the MDR, too, but if we're at the pool, the WJ is easier to "grab and go"..especially if you're in a bathing suit (and cover-up). But, the MDR makes a nice change for lunch---try it!

We've never found that the dining room extends the time it takes to eat...

Definitely prefer relaxed breakfast atmosphere in the MDR and never had problems being served. Admittedly service can be a bit slow but the food and company more than make up for that.

Lunch too is a delight in the MDR. I love the salad service bar with it's variety of ingredients and dressings. I've become less able to cope with the crowds in Windjammer and am less likely to take time over my meal there. I do enjoy the choice of dishes there though.

The last time we were on a RCCL cruise, about a year ago, there was a mini buffet set out at breakfast in the MDR and you could also order from the menu. I believe this was done on a trial basis to see if folks liked the buffet. I was wondering if this has become standard on all ships or did it not go fleetwide.

Is there a pasta station set up in the MDR at lunch time these days??? Walking into the MDR at lunch time was an aroma intoxicating experience...garlic, onions and all sorts of lovely aromas.

Can someone please give me the scoop on breakfast and lunch in the MDR? Frankly, we've always just gone to the Windjammer, etc. I've looked, but can't find info on hours, menus, etc. Many thanks!

DH loves his hot breakfast in dining room! I love the lunch menus in the dining room, they usually have some some nice selections, pastas, ceasers with anchovies, more gourmet choices! Enjoy:D

Very relaxed atmosphere in the MDR for meals rather than the hustle and bustle of WJ buffet. No one cuts in line or reaches past you for something they 'forgot' without so much as an excuse me.

You get a chance to relax, talk to other relaxed passengers and eat made to order food

The last time we were on a RCCL cruise, about a year ago, there was a mini buffet set out at breakfast in the MDR and you could also order from the menu. I believe this was done on a trial basis to see if folks liked the buffet. I was wondering if this has become standard on all ships or did it not go fleetwide.

Is there a pasta station set up in the MDR at lunch time these days??? Walking into the MDR at lunch time was an aroma intoxicating experience...garlic, onions and all sorts of lovely aromas.

They sort of "traded out" the pasta station for the salad bar station! ;) :)

Breakfast in the MDR I would rather go to the windjammer as for lunch the MDR was great salad bar THE BEST I ever been to not to mention what was on the menu some great stuff, and the wifey poo like's to be served.I dont mined getting my owne stuff.I loved all the food on the EOS back in june didn't taste one thing that I thought was bad.

On our recent Freedom cruise we were told of breakfast specials. We had never heard or read about these, but the last part of our cruise the waiter said they have daily breakfast specials. For example, the one he mentioned sounded wonderful "ham, egg and cheese calzone". I wished I had known about the specials earlier in the week, but I guess I will know next time! Enjoy the dining room folks!

Breakfast in the MDR is 8-10am on sea days; and 7:30-9:30 on port days. Lunch is only served in the MDR on Sea days from Noon-1:30pm.

I've always loved breakfast in the MDR-thought the food just tasted better; loved not having to search for seats and carry my tray. Just a nice experience for breakfast-only problem is that even on a sea day; i can't seem to wake up early enough to make the mDR and typically catch the tail end of breakfast in the buffet; or the start of lunch! (yea i know i like to sleep in on vacation!)

We very rarely go to the buffet, preferring the relaxed atamosphere of the MDR where we can be served.

MDR is casual for breakfact and lunch. You can wear your shorts. Just not bathing suits (We often have them on UNDER our shorts and T-Shirts before an excursion - that is OK).

Archived