What do people really wear in the evenings on HAL?

GRHinPorts

But don't you feel like a slob when dressing down? :D

I just don't understand this whole formal=snobby concept.

Nah, I don't feel like a slob when dressing down. On the contrary, I feel like myself:D

I don't think formal=snobby at all. However, on the rare occasion I've dressed "formally", there's a small still voice in my head saying, "now, just who are you trying to kid putting on all these airs, anyway?" Other folks are free to do as they wish regarding formality. I take whatever action is necessary to avoid it, and am glad most cruiselines make non-formal options available.

Just a small 'heads up' so you won't be surprised.

The only bar you'll find on Maasdam's Lido Deck is at the pool....under the retractable glass dome ceiling. :) I don't think we've ever been there in the evening though I'm sure some have a drink before or after their Lido dinner at that bar. :)

Many thanks for the 'heads up.' A bar and a good book is a felicitous combination. I hope things work out, and I can sail on "your Maasdam" next year.

I saw one man in a kilt on my last cruise. It was awesome!:D My husband never does the tux, a suit is fine. I enjoy taking a couple of nice dresses, and nice outfits for other nights.

Glad you liked it. On our first cruise, I took full Highland Dress to Alaska in 2001 and it went down well. We're going to Alaska next year and I would love to take it again, but the problem is the weight restrictions on the flight. The full outfit weighs a fair bit. Although being a Scot, and obviously biased, it is a very smart formal outfit imho.

On Smart Casual evenings I will usually wear slacks, silk solid or print shirt, or button-down shirt, or -- if it's Sunday or I'm working or I'm having dinner in the Pinnacle (or if I just happen to get up on that side of the bed in the morning) -- clerical shirt and jacket.

Here's a great smart casual night photograph of several of our friendly CCers, taken aboard the Noordam in January 2007:

noordamgroup2.jpg

Notice ... the fellow in jeans kneeling on the left (our very own Brian) is, indeed, wearing jeans ... but he's also wearing a JACKET.

RuthC looks fabulous in those colors, and Sail is stunning in that black top. Even despite the fact that the camera man took FOREVER to take the photo, I'm glad we waited and had it done. It's a GREAT shot.

Rev, thank you so much for sharing the photo. What a great looking group!! (Can I be a groupie LOL)

Now, as for attire, I wear a tidy pair of crops or slacks on smart casual night with pretty tunic or sweater and sandals. On formal night, I'm from the "if you can't hide it, decorate it" school of thought so wear either a long skirt or slacks made from the slinky travel fabric and sparkly, colorful tops with a heeled sandal.

I've managed to pack those things and all the other neccessities in a medium suitcase and a large purse for 17 day cruise without any of the bags going over the weight limits.

Relax, pack what makes you feel wonderful and attractive using HAL's guidelines and you will be fine. Have a super cruise.

Thanks everyone for all the contributions. It has certainly given me a better idea of what I will pack for my cruise.

HAL is obviously different in what people where compared to Cunard...but that's fine.

I will probably take one black suit and as many dress shirts as there are formal nights and then just mix and match some of my more smart casual gear (i.e. what I would wear out to any local restaurant on a weekend night out) for the other nights.

Looking forward to experiencing my first HAL cruise.

What I do on formal nights is wear a nice Black Suit with tuxedo shirt, tie and cummerbund. You can hardly tell it's not a Tux. You can get the shirts ties etc for cheap at a Uniform Store. Then you can use the suit on other less formal nights with a regular shirt and tie...or just skip the tie.

Archived