anytime dining comment from John Heald

oceanseagle12

Hi everyone. I noticed the answer below on John Heald's blog. This answer confused me because I had understood that if you were assigned to anytime dining, you could call the day of and request a specific time. I don't mean you can switch to the early or late seating- just that you could make arrangements that you will be there at, say 7:00. It sounds like John is saying that isn't the case.

Thomas Tatko Asked:

John: Could you post an answer please as it may benefit others.

Sailing on the Conquest “Veterans Cruise” 8-15 Nov 09. Do you know with the open seating option, can you make a reservation for a specific time if you have over 6 people or more in your group? On Princess using personal choice dining you can make a reservation if more than six. Thanks

John Says:

Hello Thomas

It will be interesting for me to see the anytime dining this week on the Carnival Legend as it will be my first experience with it. I checked and unfortunately you cannot reserve a table if you book anytime although after speaking to the ship’s Maitre D he stated that it would not be a problem for you all be seated together if you all booked the anytime dining. Please allow me to wish you and all the veterans a wonderful time onboard and I salute you all.

Best wishes

John

I had understood that if you were assigned to anytime dining, you could call the day of and request a specific time. I don't mean you can switch to the early or late seating- just that you could make arrangements that you will be there at, say 7:00. It sounds like John is saying that isn't the case.
The way it was explained to me at booking was Your Time Dining is on a first come, first served basis and if there is a wait, they give you a pager.

Hi everyone. I noticed the answer below on John Heald's blog. This answer confused me because I had understood that if you were assigned to anytime dining, you could call the day of and request a specific time. I don't mean you can switch to the early or late seating- just that you could make arrangements that you will be there at, say 7:00. It sounds like John is saying that isn't the case.

My understanding of anytime dining is you can show up if you want at 7 and when there is an open table (if not available when you arrive) then they will seat you. I don't think you can reserve a time.

I did "Anytime Dining" on the Destiny last week [9/21-9/26]...we showed up and absolutely no waiting...ever...I saw tables for 2, 4, 6, 8, 10...was never crowded and the servers were pleasant and helpful....I loved it. They ask for you cabin number at the desk and then they seat you...It was never full when we went and we went at various times during the week. You are seated on the upper level of the two story restaurant. The name of the restaurant we were assigned to was on our sail and sign card. Hope this helps...

Can you ask to be seated with passengers who might be more compatible with you, such as "people under age 30"? I know they're not going to ask the seated diners for ID's :rolleyes: but you know what I mean...just going by looks. In other words, people in their 20's may not want to be seated with ones in their 70's. Will they seat you with like people?

Can you ask to be seated with passengers who might be more compatible with you, such as "people under age 30"? I know they're not going to ask the seated diners for ID's :rolleyes: but you know what I mean...just going by looks. In other words, people in their 20's may not want to be seated with ones in their 70's. Will they seat you with like people?

We have never done it, but my guess would be that if open space, your party would be by yourselves (at an appropriate size table) or.... just fill people in as they do for breakfast in the main dining room. I doubt whether someone will find a table with people in your age bracket.

You have a choice to be seated with your own party or with others.......

You can ask, but unless you get there around the same time, it may be difficult. I doubt they will seat you with someone who has already ordered, for example. They might not be too happy if you hold up their food coming out.

With traditional dining, you can ask the maite d' to try to find another table for you for the remaining nights, if you don't care for your table mates for any reason.

I don't see the point in calling ahead and reserving a time. The whole idea of Anytime Dining is to just show up when you are ready.

If you want to call ahead to ensure no waiting, I don't think that would work too well. Generally there is little to no waiting ayway, and the later you go the less chance of a wait there is.

I understand you can choose to sit with others, but specifically can you ask to be seated with others in your particular age bracket? Or, another example, ask NOT to be seated with a family with small children?

You can, but it will probably be with someone that arrived just before or after you. You can also ask to be seated by yourself.

Best thing is to make friends outside of the dining room and make plans to go to dinner together. If that turns out to be a mistake, find some new friend for the next night.

We have done open seating twice on Miracle. The 1st week it was available in March and on the 9/5 cruise.

In March we had 6 people and we went down every night @ 6:30 and they got to expect us and after 3 nights we had the same waiter and area. In Sept. it was much more crowded and the service was less than good, but they had expanded the seating area. I think we were told 335 people has signed up for Anytime.

If you want to sit w/ other they will place you @ a table w/ others but you are all not necessarily on the same course and it makes it hard for the waiters,i.e they seat two parties of 2 and you come along 10 minutes later they will seat you w/ the foursome who have probably already ordered. It would be very hard to seat you w/ a group your own age.

Now, they do check your room number to see if you actually signed up for Anytime, and it was quite comical to see early seating diners coming in @ 7:00 and wanting a table. They were told the could do late seatings or buffet.

Thanks for the responses. For those trying to explain to me why I don't need to call ahead, thanks, but I am not concerned about it. I had anytime dining in January and loved it, so I know how it works.

My point was that I read on this board that you can call ahead for a specific time on that day. Perhaps these were isolated cases, or people were mistaken. Either way, since the information John posted was different from what I read here, I thought I would share, for those who might care one way or the other.

Now, they do check your room number to see if you actually signed up for Anytime, and it was quite comical to see early seating diners coming in @ 7:00 and wanting a table. They were told the could do late seatings or buffet.

No reservations and telling early traditional diners to beat it when they show up late! Awesome. It's an improvement to the system used on Princess. I can't wait to try it out in two months! :)

Thanks for the responses. For those trying to explain to me why I don't need to call ahead, thanks, but I am not concerned about it. I had anytime dining in January and loved it, so I know how it works.

My point was that I read on this board that you can call ahead for a specific time on that day. Perhaps these were isolated cases, or people were mistaken. Either way, since the information John posted was different from what I read here, I thought I would share, for those who might care one way or the other.

I also heard that people were making standing reservations on Carnival.....so they could have the same table and waiter every night......

Archived