Half day trip to Kuranda?

zhenya

My fight is getting into Cairns from Sydney at noon. I am trying to figure out if I can quickly drop off my bags at a hotel and go to Kuranda the same day. Practically this means that I can be at the Skyrail departure station by about 1:30. Is this a realistic plan? What would taxi cost me from Cairns to the Skyrail station?

Thanks for your feedback.

My fight is getting into Cairns from Sydney at noon. I am trying to figure out if I can quickly drop off my bags at a hotel and go to Kuranda the same day. Practically this means that I can be at the Skyrail departure station by about 1:30. Is this a realistic plan? What would taxi cost me from Cairns to the Skyrail station?

http://www.skyrail.com.au/

http://www.tropicalexperience.com.au/cairns-kuranda_train_skyrail-110.php

http://www.viator.com/Cairns-and-the-Tropical-North/d754/kuranda?pref=02&aid=g2687

Here are a few sites for you to check out. IMHO the trip up to Karanda is a day long adventure. It would be a shame to rush it. The skyrail operates constantly but the train only runs certain times a day. It would be a shame if you missed the train ride. Truely spectacular. And fun.....

Thank you for your feedback. I realize that a full day trip is what's really needed. Unfortunately I have to make a tough decision. I'll only have 2.5 days in Cairns area, and being an avid scuba diver I would like to be able to spend two days in a water exploring various diving sites.

Thank you for your feedback. I realize that a full day trip is what's really needed. Unfortunately I have to make a tough decision. I'll only have 2.5 days in Cairns area, and being an avid scuba diver I would like to be able to spend two days in a water exploring various diving sites.

Ok, your choice of course. Shame to come all this way and not see the sights though.

You will be able to do both easy if you plan like your already doing.

I wouldnt buy your Kuranda to Cairns Rail ticket in advance in case something goes wrong with time.You should be able to buy on the Station in Kuranda or a combined ticket through Skyrail or at worst on the train.http://www.skyrail.com.au/contact.html

Im wondering if there was a way for you to have your bags dropped off at your hotel via a taxi arrangement or a courier ex Cairns Airport?Cost wouldnt be all that much?Do a deal with your Airport to Skyrail taxi driver to deliver your bag.Choose a senior driver I D or email the Taxi Company etc.

You may also want to connect with the 3 30pm afternoon Train adjacent to the Skyrail Kuranda back to Cairns in the afternoon so that you get the most out of your afternoon.

http://www.ksr.com.au/the_tour/timetables/

http://www.blackandwhitetaxis.com.au/index.html

If you go to Kuranda you need to experience something like the dreamwalk encounter Just to go up and back on the skyrail is not seeing Kuranda, you would be better off walking the esplanade. If I were you and a diver, take the two days on the reef. Kuranda was good, but the reef is awesome.

• 1 month later...

I think your plan is achievable. A taxi to Skyrail from Cairns will cost you, I'd guess, a little over $AU40.00. If you take the 3.30pm train back, which I'd recommend, you will probably be in walking distance from your hotel if it's a downtown one thus avoiding a return taxi fare. Although I live here I do find Kuranda township a little disappointing as something of a tourist trap. By far the best bit of the trip is the view from Skyrail and the train. Also, a walk at one of the intermediate stops and a look at the interpretation centre will increase your enjoyment.

As you are, I guess, only likely to be here once, make the most of it and do all you can do in the short time. Have fun in my neck of the woods.:)

As you have 2.1/2 days in Cairns, make sure you walk along the Esplanade (in the evening after your other activities). I was recently pleasantly surprised what an excellent job Cairns has done upgrading its waterfront esplanade area, with a large swimming lagoon, children's water play area, sand sports area, BBQs and restaurants, etc.

http://www.cairns.com.au/visitor-information/destinations/cairns-city-guide.html

Good sugestion, MMDown Under. If you walk along the Esplanade at low tide you won't be confronted by yet another boring old perfect Australian golden sanded beach, you'll experience some serious mudflats. The mudlflats are a major bird watching site and there will be many groups viewing them. You need binoculars or a camera with a good telephoto lens. It's good fun and different. The esplanade late in the afternoon is also very good for people watching, not that I do that. ;)

Good sugestion, MMDown Under. If you walk along the Esplanade at low tide you won't be confronted by yet another boring old perfect Australian golden sanded beach, you'll experience some serious mudflats. The mudlflats are a major bird watching site and there will be many groups viewing them. You need binoculars or a camera with a good telephoto lens. It's good fun and different. The esplanade late in the afternoon is also very good for people watching, not that I do that. ;)

Now that you mention bird watching, we went on an enjoyable free birdwatching tour at the Botanical Gardens. The guide said he goes down to the Esplanade each day, with his big telephoto lens for watching the real birds on the mudflats.

kuranda is pretty but very touristy the major reason to go is the skyrail which was wonderful do that there and back and spend a couple of hours in the town itself if you want i didn't think the train ride was all that interesting and you should really concentrate on the reefs which are beautiful

jackiedanny:)

Archived