How does TA's pay work?

mickym

We are dealing with a YTB agent, and I hesitate to call anyone affiliated with this Amway wannabe an "agent" but that's who we are dealing with... so the $50 per cabin thing could be just a YTB plan.

I know that if you deal direct with Carnival, they do require a minimum of 8 cabins/16 passengers.

So it is everyone's best guess here that the agency as a whole probably made 12% to 15%? I am extrapolating from the comments.

I frankly don't care what an agent makes for doing their job... so long as they do it. Once you are hooked up with an agent, the cruise line will not speak to you with any specifics.

There was a lower price listed for 6 weeks on-line, and we could never get the YTB agent to determine if there was a reduction for us. During those 6 weeks, we paid our final payment, and the price was raised again. So we are just SOL.

The whole experience is frustrating... and to compound things the "agent" is a friend; has never been on a cruise before; and I, as the group leader, am doing all the work and answering everyone's questions/complaints.

I don't know whether to deal direct with Carnival next time, or become a part-time agent myself just for our annual cruise, since it seems just about anyone can be an agent!

:confused:

Of course you're welcome to disagree. But then where is the incentive to use a TA? If they're not doing anything other than making the reservation, I can do that myself. It's pretty painless. We use a TA for our groups who is more than happy to make changes whenever asked, gets us all seated together in the MDR, will come and do informational seminars if asked etc. If he didn't accomidate requests, why wouldn't we just book direct?

In speaking generically to Carnival about future cruises, they say that any on-board credits, or other amenities that are available, are available equally to agents booking groups, or if we book as a group directly with Carnival.

Our agent intimated that if we got to 16 cabins, or 32 people, the group would receive the $50 per cabin. But nothing between 8 cabins/16 people and 16 cabins/32 people. We landed in the middle.

We would have used the $400 to cover shore excursions, etc., something for a group benefit.

I just don't know what or who to believe....

But no matter, once the horn blows, I'm having a good time anyway!

:D

Of course you're welcome to disagree. But then where is the incentive to use a TA? If they're not doing anything other than making the reservation, I can do that myself. It's pretty painless. We use a TA for our groups who is more than happy to make changes whenever asked, gets us all seated together in the MDR, will come and do informational seminars if asked etc. If he didn't accomidate requests, why wouldn't we just book direct?

Good Morning Julie:

If you book direct you get a vacation planner who is a glorified TA. I should clarify that I do not do groups so it is only DW and I. If had a large group, I would probably go through the line or use a brick and mortar TA that I could actually go to their place of business.

In my case, the majority is done online with virtually no contact with the TA as all I need is the cruise booked and I take care of all the rest. If for some reason I would need more maintenance than that I would suggest a real TA but in my circumstances, I normally don't.

So, IMHO, we're probably both right in doing things the way we are doing them as our needs are a bit different.

Have a great day.

I generally book directly with the cruise line. And its because if there are price drops I want to be able to call and get them. But I also use a TA, because right before final payment I turn the cruise over to a TA that I have delt with before. He usually gives me a nice obc and we are both happy. Now since I have a couple of cruises booked when I turned over my upcoming I also noticed that that agency had a nice special on another cruise I have booked for next spring. Lowered the price, upgraded the cabin and also got $150.00 obc, so I moved that cruise over to him at the same time.

I was just looking at another cruise for 2011 and e-mailed him about a price. He came back with a great price (and I mean GREAT) so I booked the cruise with him outright. Then when read my paperwork he had given me a small obc. How great is that! The very nice part of dealing with this TA is he always responds to my e-mails and always gets back to me no matter what silly questions I ask of him. So by doing my cruises this way I feel we all benefit.

Helen

Reding between the lines, you may be a higher maintenance customer than you realize. When you mention price drops (in plural) that means you are calling several times to see if you can get the reduction. I've seen prices change almost instantaneously and by the time you may call the price has moved again. That or you may not be eligible for any price reductions whether it's new booking prices, you've already paid in full or whatever. I may be the odd one out on this one but I never check prices after I book and don't expect any price reductions just like I would not want to pay a higher rate, if it increases.

That and I could care less what a TA makes or does not make off of my transaction. It really doesn't matter.

I use to be like you, never checked. Since we are now retired, we check daily on the computer. Have saved some money or been upgraded for the same price. It is worth it. We book 2-3 trips a year. We maybe high maintenance - but the TAs we work with don't mind. Because they know we are a regular customer.

We look for TAs that want to work with us or we move on. We believe in customer service. :)

Well without you in the first place they would be making zero on your booking. Driving business away for any reason right now is only hurting themselves. If you found a price drop, each & every price drop, your TA should be calling on behalf of you & your group. And if you have other questions along the way they should be answering them. If not, move on promptly & let them know who all is booking future vacations elsewhere.

Is there anyone who can answer my question I put on, on page one. please.? Is it correct they will have to redo there maths as when I booked they say they gave me cheaper flights.? And now there is a senior rate they will have to recalclate the new cabin price with the update flight cost.?

Is there anyone who can answer my question I put on, on page one. please.? Is it correct they will have to redo there maths as when I booked they say they gave me cheaper flights.? And now there is a senior rate they will have to recalclate the new cabin price with the update flight cost.?

Sorry. I either missed that or misunderstood it. Did you book your airfare with the cruiseline? If so, the answer could be yes. (But I'd still doubt it.) The only way they should have to recalculate your air is if you are changing flights. Changing the cabin should have nothing to do with air. If your air was not booked through the cruiseline, your TA is outright lying. If your air was booked through the cruiseline, call RCCL direct to verify what he/she is telling you.

It doesn't matter how many times you call and ask for a rate reduction. It's her job to get it when you call. Yes she loses some commission but it's more than she was making before you called and even gave her those trips. The number she is calling to get the price drop is an 800 number so it's not costing anything there. It's costing her time and commission. The time is one thing but the commission is really minimal that she loses when you look at it in the grand scheme of things. She is getting maybe 15% of the commissionable fare. Then out of that she is getting 70-80% of that amount so if your cruise drops $100 she is losing $12 (if I did that math right). Besides I maintain she is still making more than if you book with her than with joe blow down the street.

I feel bad being high maintenance but not bad enough to stop I guess as our prices dropped again this weekend (third in a row) so I will be emailing her once again. The bad part is the prices jump back up on Monday so keep missing out. Very frustrating!! If I could contact them myself over the weekend we would save another $200 per room plus get a nice cat. upgrade. If she actually gets this done for us I will get everyone to chip in and send her $100 cash and a restraint gift certificate. I do appreciate the extra help but would love a good attitude to go along with it.

Yes, she seemed really nice when we booked the cruise but each time I call and ask her to give the cruise line a call because there has been another drop she gets more curt and now she isn't answering my emails. We are traveling with a group of 12 so each time it goes down she looses out twelve times and gets more work out of the deal. It really makes me feel like I am a real pest and pain but I work hard for my money and it's hard to pass up these price drops. I am thinking the next time I will just book through the cruise line so I can do my own calling and not feel like I am bothering someone.

EXCUSE ME--- why would you feel like you are bothering your agent? I understand that agent's need to make a living (I used to sell real estate), however, when the price drops, the agent should be working for YOU. Future cruise's and referral's from you as a happy customer should be a MAIN concern for the agent. Handle this as you will, but never feel like you can not call on someone who is making a living from your business.

The agency I worked at, we were paid either hourly or commission based, which ever is more.SO... I work 80 hours, I will get x dollars per hour lets say x = 10, but if my commission for my sales is more than $800, I will get that instead. HOWEVER, I only get a percentage of the commission that the company makes, so for an inside 10%, ov 12%, bal/ste 15%. So a client books a balcony room, the company makes say $300 on that balcony, I will get 15% of that which is $45. Now, by some miracle in that 80 hour week, I have booked 20 of those balconies, I have now made $900, so I get teh commission instead of the hourly. HOWEVER, now you in that 2 week time frame have called for a price reduction, as has several other people that I have made reservations for, which now means the commission amount on all of your reservations has been adjusted, well, how I owe the company back $150 because of all the reductions, or cancellations that have happened, so instead of $900 on the commission I am back to the $800 hourly check, YUCK... this is why some agents will not do price drops, or will charge a booking fee, as then they at least have made some money.

This is even worse in weeks where you many not have worked a full 80 hours, and have a great number of bookings that are large, and an equal number of bookings that are cancelled, or price dropped.

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to cruising and was wondering the same thing about using a TA. Friends of ours that have been on several cruises said that they book everything on-line without a TA, I just went onto the carnival website to book my same cruse and the price that my TA charged me is the exact price that was quoted. thats good, right?

Bryan

Reding between the lines, you may be a higher maintenance customer than you realize. When you mention price drops (in plural) that means you are calling several times to see if you can get the reduction. I've seen prices change almost instantaneously and by the time you may call the price has moved again. That or you may not be eligible for any price reductions whether it's new booking prices, you've already paid in full or whatever. I may be the odd one out on this one but I never check prices after I book and don't expect any price reductions just like I would not want to pay a higher rate, if it increases.

That and I could care less what a TA makes or does not make off of my transaction. It really doesn't matter.

I've wondered the same thing.....I booked through my agent and the price went WAY down (almost 300 pp) I called the agent and she basically talked in circles and I got off the phone EVEN MORE confused. I had to end up calling Celebrity DIRECT and asking "why am I NOT getting this discount?"

She made me feel like a pest but guess what? I got a great credit and a much nicer cabin/upgrade.

YOU ARE SPENDING YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY W/ THIS TA-IF SHE TOOK YOUR MONEY THEN YOU ARE ENTITLED TO BE A "HIGH MAINTENANCE" CUSTOMER.

What is this world coming to as far as customer service???

That is what the agent is there for: YOU. You call w/ any question you should have. I sometimes feel like maybe I"m being a pain so I simply say (sort of cutely LOL) "hi it's me again, sorry to be a pain but i saw a lower price"

You paid her money-she accepted it, this country used to be all about great customer service-she needs to RETURN your calls and/or emails or next time find another agent or book it yourself.

I wouldn't care how "difficult" a client you think you may be. The reason people choose to use TAs instead of booking direct is because they expect a higher level of service and expertise. It takes a TA about 2 minutes to call the cruiseline and request a price drop. The TA industry is a "customer service" industry. If you're in that industry, serving the customer IS your job! The customer is not an inconvience, they are the whole reason your job exists.

I totally agree: The agent chose to go into this business and I'm sure they are used to "difficult" people. It's what they get paid for. I have to color DIFFICULT peoples hair all day but I get paid and I smile and I entertain them for an hour or so. I choose to do it.

The customer service in our country is going downhill fast. From now on, I made a promise that I would book the cruise myself online after the runaround I got from my agent.

I totally agree: The agent chose to go into this business and I'm sure they are used to "difficult" people. It's what they get paid for. I have to color DIFFICULT peoples hair all day but I get paid and I smile and I entertain them for an hour or so. I choose to do it.

The customer service in our country is going downhill fast. From now on, I made a promise that I would book the cruise myself online after the runaround I got from my agent.

It's not just customer service that is going down hill fast. It's everyone in general. Attitudes towards everything has changed - greed gets to a lot of people's heads.

Think of it this way. If your kid has to stay after school for extra help from the teacher then your kid is technically being "high maintenance" but no one would think twice about turning down that service.

Price drops and things of that nature are part of their job, they should be used to it and accept it, if they aren't accomdating then there is another agent out there that will be.

From now on, I made a promise that I would book the cruise myself online after the runaround I got from my agent.

I do and will never call for a price reduction. Once I book a cruise, I forget it. With the prices so low currently, if my online TA made 10% on me, they received a whopping $130.

And regarding "Not to you, but to someone trying to make a living...it does", I am a working schmoe and it really doesn't make a difference.

The onine TA gave me the tools that allowed me to book the cruise for a price I thought was great so I'm not going to beat them up for a piddly price reduction. Now if one is dealing with a grand in price reduction, that's different.

I do and will never call for a price reduction. Once I book a cruise, I forget it. With the prices so low currently, if my online TA made 10% on me, they received a whopping $130.

And regarding "Not to you, but to someone trying to make a living...it does", I am a working schmoe and it really doesn't make a difference.

The onine TA gave me the tools that allowed me to book the cruise for a price I thought was great so I'm not going to beat them up for a piddly price reduction. Now if one is dealing with a grand in price reduction, that's different.

To say you will never call or look for a price reduction must mean you have a lot of money to spend LOL

It's just being a smart consumer watching the price fluxuations.

My cruise went down 300 per person-if you were me YOU WOULDN'T CALL BECAUSE IT'S NOT A THOUSAND DOLLARS? That sounds very ignorant.

$600 is a lot of money. Would I bother the agent if the cruise went down 25$ a person? Maybe not, I'm not sure really but I got the run around and I wasn't swallowing $600 SORRY.

I find your comment VERY hard to believe. You'd only call the agent to save "a grand" I'm laughing...

It's not just customer service that is going down hill fast. It's everyone in general. Attitudes towards everything has changed - greed gets to a lot of people's heads.

And regarding Jesscap: I totally agree and that also includes a lot of us in here that think they should get a price reduction every time a price is lowered as a God given right. They also don't want to pay a higher price if the price goes up - we shouldn't have it both ways. We "lock in" on virtually everything else we buy but for some reasons cruise lines are different. They should just end this practice and save a lot of headaches.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Have agreat evening wherever you may be.

P.S. Regarding the PP, I normally book more last minute so I don't even bother checking prices - I'm not saying that $600 isn't worth chasing but I think you get what I mean. Everyone has a price point but some people call every time a price drops (regardless of how small) and I don't believe that practice should be allowed. If the cruiselines wouldn't allow it I would think people would get accustomed to the practice. If you book early, some believe that this allows them their cabin selection (or whatever benefit) and that should be worth something to them. Again, from my point of view, you can't have everything both ways.

Hello,

I think that your question about TA compensation has been answered.

There are two important aspects to a TA's compensation that persons new to cruises or are thinking of going on one, need to consider.

People who contribute to these threads as a group have been on hundreds if not thousands of cruises. They know the ins and outs of cruises. Most can research travel websites and arrange for a cruise, at a price that they want to pay. And essentially, because of their experience, do not need the services of a TA.

Even after 30 cruises my DW and I use a TA but ONLY after I have done my research as to ships, prices, itineraries, and transfers. Then we go see our TA. Why? We always want to have a travel professional in our corner if anything goes awry. If you have a TA and your flight from say Barcelona to Chicago is cancelled, he or she can be there to help you. If your cruise is delayed because of the weather, your TA can be there to provide help as needed with air arrangements, hotels and even notification to family members. Sure there is the internet but this can be expensive. And even though my DW are veteran travelers there have been times along the way where we needed some help.

When you go see a TA, tell them that while you are pleased with the price as of today, that you want fares monitored and adjusted downward if the cruise line allows this. Get everything on the table so to speak so that the TA understands that you know what is going on. They can always refuse your business if the relationship is not profitable to them in terms of time and effort to get the job done.

Archived