Zipbloc bags, sweater/hoodies

clb09

Got a few questions in mind...

Leaving for cruise this weekend to MR.

Should I pack any long sleeve clothing of any sort....hoodies, jeans, etc? Will the temperature suddenly be cold? Forecast says it's hot and humid... but we all know how forecast is not really that reliable. I just don't want to pack stuff that I won't use... since I want to pack light.

Is zipbloc bags good enough for waterproofing my passport and money? It's toooo late for me to get a waterproof case/bag online and I don't see them selling it here in the city.... unless it's a dry bag that carries 20L of stuff which is not the thing to use in this scenario. lol.

Power outlets on the cruise...are just the standard N.American jacks right? No adapter required right?

Lastly, do people bring containers or whatever to store food from the cruise to go onshore when they're at port? So they can snack on or not eat at port? :confused:

Should I pack any long sleeve clothing of any sort....hoodies, jeans, etc? Will the temperature suddenly be cold? Forecast says it's hot and humid... but we all know how forecast is not really that reliable. I just don't want to pack stuff that I won't use... since I want to pack light.

Long pants (or "nice jeans" )are usually expected (though not always necessary) in the main dining room for dinners. If you don't plan to eat in the main dining room, then you won't need long pants.

A sweater or jacket is always a good idea. While it most likely will be plenty warm enough, as you note you really can't always know. A rain jacket or poncho might be a good idea too -- unless you intend to wear wash-and-wear clothes :D

Is zipbloc bags good enough for waterproofing my passport and money?

It's toooo late for me to get a waterproof case/bag online and I don't see them selling it here in the city.... unless it's a dry bag that carries 20L of stuff which is not the thing to use in this scenario. lol.

Sorry, don't know...I don't "do" swimming..

Power outlets on the cruise...are just the standard N.American jacks right? No adapter required right?

Yes, standarnd N. American plugs. But if you have a lot of stuff to plug in (camera, cell phone, etc.) you might want to bring a power strip as there is usually just one plug in the room, and it's not always in the most convenient location.

Lastly, do people bring containers or whatever to store food from the cruise to go onshore when they're at port? So they can snack on or not eat at port? :confused:

There are agricultural laws that forbid taking food off the ship unless it is in original commercially sealed packets. And even then, things like fruit are a real no-no. Now, people do try to smuggle it off...but I've seen lots of garbage cans full of "containers or whatever" at the end of the gangway at the bottom of the ship, with a couple of large guys checking things, and standing guard! :D

You can probably buy single serving packaged foodsin your grocery (and there's no restriction about bringing anything like this on board), but things like home-made granola would not be acceptable, because it's not in "commercially sealed" packets. Look in the section where they sell food for kid's school lunches -- I've seen cheese and crackers, cookies, granola, chips (and other such things), dried fruit, etc., all in sealed packages.

There are plenty of places to buy snacks once you're on shore..and if you really don't want to spend the money, load up on breakfast on board, and head back for a hearty buffet dinner. And there's always room service for a late-night snack.

What exactly needs to be waterproofed? Your ship's key, credit card, and most likely, your DL are all plastic...they are already waterproof. You won't need to bring your passport off the ship. Money will spend even if it's wet....

Eat a big meal before leaving the ship...you shouldn't need to eat again until you get back. Pre-packaged foods are ok...fresh veggies, fruits, meats, and cheeses are a BIG NO-NO!

Mexican ports are the most strict with not allowing food to be taken off the ship. I've seen Mexican authorities standing at the bottom of the gangway checking bags and taking food. It's just like the rules we have here in the US, that won't allow people to bring back any kind of agricultural products, food, flowers and the like.

What exactly needs to be waterproofed? Your ship's key, credit card, and most likely, your DL are all plastic...they are already waterproof. You won't need to bring your passport off the ship. Money will spend even if it's wet....

Eat a big meal before leaving the ship...you shouldn't need to eat again until you get back. Pre-packaged foods are ok...fresh veggies, fruits, meats, and cheeses are a BIG NO-NO!

i was thinking cookies, pastries type of food...stuff to munch on.

We always take a sweatshirt and sweatpants or something like that - sometimes the evening feel cool or the cabin AC is a bit cool for me. We don't mess with ponchos as I'm relatively drip/dry.

If you use ziplocks, you use something better than I do. I view it that they're not getting wet in the airport or your cabin safe. A bag makes sense so you can keep everything together though - good idea.

No you can't take food off the ship with exception of pre-packaged stuff like maybe chips, etc.

Regular plugs are fine - Don't overpack "stuff" - Take mix and match clothes and pack like a regular trip.

And yes, they do take wet money.... Have a great trip.

It is chilly on deck leaving the embarkation port for the first day, and returning. I'd take some sort of cover, as you suggested a hoodie.

The gift shop onboard may be selling water wallets or similar, or you may be able to find one near the port.

As for taking food off the ship, do not do it. Unless you take only prepackaged stuff like snack bars or packaged crackers.

i was thinking cookies, pastries type of food...stuff to munch on.

NO NO NO. You can't take anything off the ship unless it's prepackaged. So that means granola bars, boxes of cereal, etc. There are issues with introducing pests (even minute pests that can be on pastries) into agricultural societies where there are no natural predators. Bad news. Big fines.

You won't find it cold unless you get sunburned and catch a chill. I'm from Calgary and I can tell you that it ain't gonna be anywhere near cold for you! When a cold front comes through semi-tropical climates it's still hot. :) I do tend to bring one hoodie in case I do get a bad burn and the a/c bothers me too much, but if you want to travel light you can always buy a "pashmina" for $10 in the ship's store, or even a hoodie. They always have these clearance ones for about $29. ;)

As to the waterproof pouches, if you decide you want to buy one go to Mountain Equipment Co-op. They have them with the kayaking and canoeing gear. We have several and that's where we bought them.

Is zipbloc bags good enough for waterproofing my passport and money? It's toooo late for me to get a waterproof case/bag online and I don't see them selling it here in the city.... unless it's a dry bag that carries 20L of stuff which is not the thing to use in this scenario. lol.

Sorry if there are duplicate answers since I didn't read through.

I wear a hoodie and jeans for my flight. That way I have them if I need them on the ship, but I really need them when I get home! And I don't have to pack them that way. I do take a sweater or shawl for the dining room because the A/C can get chilly! If you have time, I like to make a list of day by day clothing. That way I make sure I have enough but not too much. I know when I can reuse something (not often :) usually jackets, shoes, purses, etc.) I freely admit that I am an overpacker!

Definitely take ziploc baggies. They are great for holding receipts and anything else that you might need a place for or to keep together. I think if you sealed them tight enough they'd do the trick but you may want to use two of them. I just leave my passport in the safe though.

You'll likely have 1 European, 1 standard and a razor only (in the bathroom).

For ports, you can't take any fruit, meat, etc... off the ship due to regulations. I usually take a box of cereal, bottle of water or something else that's already prepackaged in case I need something to tide me over in between meals. You can grab the cereal from the buffet or get them from room service.

Archived