Anytime Dining - Formal Wear

Lynniepoo

It is not 'stuff', it is a statement of the required dress in the MDR as published by the Sapphire Princess management as well as a statement that if you wish to dress casually then you can take advantage of the Horizon Court. Facts seems to be irrelevant on this thread!

Many casual cruisers have read similar statements and also have been seated in the MDR on formal night in casual attire. The additional fact that they seat casual cruisers is the information we are trying to add to the thread.

The 20th century has passed when dress codes were strictly adhered too. Societies change and things are just getting more casual in practice regardless how the statements read.

Many casual cruisers have read similar statements and also have been seated in the MDR on formal night in casual attire. The additional fact that they seat casual cruisers is the information we are trying to add to the thread.

The 20th century has passed when dress codes were strictly adhered too. Societies change and things are just getting more casual in practice regardless how the statements read.

Yes, on many ships/itineraries and with many Maitre 'd s, people are allowed in the dining room dressed below the stated dress code. However, this is not always the case. Anyone going to dinner on a formal night without a coat and tie must be prepared for the possiblity that their attire may be unacceptable and they will have to make other arrangements for dinner that night.

Yes, on many ships/itineraries and with many Maitre 'd s, people are allowed in the dining room dressed below the stated dress code. However, this is not always the case. Anyone going to dinner on a formal night without a coat and tie must be prepared for the possiblity that their attire may be unacceptable and they will have to make other arrangements for dinner that night.

It is exactly the implied threat in the post above that encourages people to suggest "the suit is in the lost luggage" as a response.

No Maitre'd will let your vacation be ruined due to lost luggage.

Further it is HIGHLY unlikely the Maitre'd will say anything to a neatly dressed casual cruiser and simply seat you in the MDR.

The fact is that the Sapphire Princess printed a statement of the standard of dress in the MDR.

It is an observation from some that the Maitre'd may seat those who choose to ignore the standard. The additonal observation is that this may not happen because of the Maitre'd.

These are not threats, they are merely observations. Also as I said Princess will always lend formal wear tothose whose luggage is lost so there is no reason to invent excuses to ignore the standard of dress in the MDR on formal nights. Even in the 21st century there are still places where dress codes are strictly adhered to.

The fact is that the Sapphire Princess printed a statement of the standard of dress in the MDR.

It is an observation from some that the Maitre'd may seat those who choose to ignore the standard. The additonal observation is that this may not happen because of the Maitre'd.

These are not threats, they are merely observations. Also as I said Princess will always lend formal wear tothose whose luggage is lost so there is no reason to invent excuses to ignore the standard of dress in the MDR on formal nights. Even in the 21st century there are still places where dress codes are strictly adhered to.

I am not aware of princess lending free formal wear to those with lost luggage unless you have Princess insurance or they are being generous because you used princess to book air travel.

I have eaten with people in t-shirt and shorts on formal night due to lost luggage. Princess will bend over backwards to warmly welcome people with lost luggage and make them feel comfortable.

BTW, of course there is a reason - to be seated in the MDR on formal night as a casual cruiser :D:D:D

I am not aware of princess lending free formal wear to those with lost luggage unless you have Princess insurance or they are being generous because you used princess to book air travel.

I have eaten with people in t-shirt and shorts on formal night due to lost luggage. Princess will bend over backwards to warmly welcome people with lost luggage and make them feel comfortable.

BTW, of course there is a reason - to be seated in the MDR on formal night as a casual cruiser :D:D:D

:D:D:D

It is standard practice for Princess to offer free formal wear as part of their lost luggage procedure. I only know because I or someone in my party has lost luggage 3 times so far!

We are going on our first cruise in December on the Diamond Princess (12 days). We signed up for Anytime Dining...but I'm confused! Are there still 2 formal nights if you are on anytime dining? If so, how "formal" is formal? Are we talking Love Boat evening gowns?

Thanks all!:D

Lynniepoo, there was an extensive poll done on what men wear - you can find it at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1006188&highlight=what+men+actually+wear&page=2

The results are in post #120, and support that men mostly follow the written dress code.

There was another poll attempted for women's wear, and had a lot of descriptions from CC women on what they wear. It ranged from "little black dress" to pantsuit with fancy top, to semi-formal gowns, to floor length formal gowns.

You might try a search for women's wear on formal nights, looking for a poll. I am sure you will find the comments there to be some guidance on what you might want to consider wearing. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1019248&highlight=women+formal+wear will get you to that poll.

Further it is HIGHLY unlikely the Maitre'd will say anything to a neatly dressed casual cruiser and simply seat you in the MDR.

I tend to agree with you, however on these boards people have posted that that they have seen people turned away.

There is an another aspect to not observing the guidelines and that is the discomfort of perhaps sitting at a table in casual attire where everyone else is dressed formally...I have observed this at our table and the causally attired couple were clearly uncomfortable and couldn't eat and get out of the dining room fast enough.

I tend to agree with you, however on these boards people have posted that that they have seen people turned away.

There is an another aspect to not observing the guidelines and that is the discomfort of perhaps sitting at a table in casual attire where everyone else is dressed formally...I have observed this at our table and the causally attired couple were clearly uncomfortable and couldn't eat and get out of the dining room fast enough.

Everybody is different, that is why in the poll that was done you find half the casual cruisers eating in the MDR on formal night and half choosing to go to the buffet.

The point is if your comfortable dressed casually there is no reason to banish yourself to the buffet.

Everybody is different, that is why in the poll that was done you find half the casual cruisers eating in the MDR on formal night and half choosing to go to the buffet.

The point is if your comfortable dressed casually there is no reason to banish yourself to the buffet.

Ah, yes there is. It's called respect.:D

Give it a rest already, Bob. The OP only asked if the dress code in Anytime was the same as that in Traditional. She didn't ask for the minimally-acceptable level nor did she ask for a percentage breakdown of tuxes versus suits or boxers versus briefs or any other extraneous garbage. It always seems to be you who stirs up these dress thread pots. Her question was answered; your input was unnecessary.

Amen!:)

I have been on 9 Princess cruises, and my experience is that the formal dress code in the MDR is respected by almost everyone. The vast majority of men have had on suits, with a few tuxes and sport coats/ties mixed in. I'm not saying that casual dressers are not there, I just have not seen them and believe they are in the definite minority. I know that my DH would be uncomfortable if he felt underdressed. Also remember that casual attire is now welcome on formal nights in the specialty restaurants (and of course the buffet), so you have options if you don't want to bring formal wear and also don't want to feel underdressed in the MDR

Respect who???

Many people on this board do not respect the casual cruiser, so why should the casual cruiser worry about respecting the dress up crowd?

Because we are respecting the dress code request of the cruise line.:rolleyes:

Lynniepoo...if you are on the 10 Dec sailing please feel free to drop by our rollcall.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew, yes, we are on the December 10th sailing! I'm a first time cruiser (hubby too) and new to this site...where do I find the rollcall?:rolleyes:

Respect who???

Many people on this board do not respect the casual cruiser, so why should the casual cruiser worry about respecting the dress up crowd?

Oh, how I do love these formalwear threads! Yeah, I know I should just resist the temptation, but...

I'm an old bohemian, and recall, before my first cruise, posting on CC about how silly dress codes are. I've now done a 180. I like dressing for formal nights, and have no idea what - unless someone's goiter prevents him from buttoning the collar of a dress shirt - the big deal is. I have a lightweight black linen suit that weighs almost nothing and takes very little packing space, and that's that. It's not like I'm required to rent a tux, just expected not to dress like I'm playing golf. Jeez, Louise, it's just a jacket and tie!

Pax form a temporary community, and - as has been pointed out many times - most of us who sail Princess enjoy formal nights. Those who, for whatever obscure theological or psychological reason, steadfastly refuse to wear a tie have other alternatives besides the MDR, from eating at the buffet to sailing NCL. IMO, dressing down for formal night is just kinda rude, like talking on your cellphone at dinner. Not a capital offense, no, but...

One formal night on X, I was seated one table over from a guy in a white T-shirt and jeans. Like I said, I'm a steadfast boho, but nonetheless he looked - sorry - like rather a jerk.

Oh, how I do love these formalwear threads! Yeah, I know I should just resist the temptation, but...

I'm an old bohemian, and recall, before my first cruise, posting on CC about how silly dress codes are. I've now done a 180. I like dressing for formal nights, and have no idea what - unless someone's goiter prevents him from buttoning the collar of a dress shirt - the big deal is. I have a lightweight black linen suit that weighs almost nothing and takes very little packing space, and that's that. It's not like I'm required to rent a tux, just expected not to dress like I'm playing golf. Jeez, Louise, it's just a jacket and tie!

Pax form a temporary community, and - as has been pointed out many times - most of us who sail Princess enjoy formal nights. Those who, for whatever obscure theological or psychological reason, steadfastly refuse to wear a tie have other alternatives besides the MDR, from eating at the buffet to sailing NCL. IMO, dressing down for formal night is just kinda rude, like talking on your cellphone at dinner. Not a capital offense, no, but...

One formal night on X, I was seated one table over from a guy in a white T-shirt and jeans. Like I said, I'm a steadfast boho, but nonetheless he looked - sorry - like rather a jerk.

Oh, I say - well stated!

I doubt seriously that they would turn you away. On our cruise it is only the traditional dining on the Sun Princess. We want a table for two so that way since we are not bringing anything formal we will not intrude on those that are dressed in their formals. I don't particulary care if we eat in the MDR every night but my husband likes the lobster, etc. on the formal nights so I go for him. I don't need to be seated by anyone if it is my regular seat every night and will just go to my table myself. Just follow the crowd to your regular seat and don't make it a big deal. We will be dressed nicely but it will not be formal because I do not like to dress up.

Lynniepoo...if you are on the 10 Dec sailing please feel free to drop by our rollcall.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew, yes, we are on the December 10th sailing! I'm a first time cruiser (hubby too) and new to this site...where do I find the rollcall?:rolleyes:

To get t the Roll Calls:

Go to the main menu and scroll down until you find Roll Calls. Click on Princess Roll Calls. This will give you a list of Princess ships. Click on yours. Find the thread for the date you are sailing.

One thing that I've learned is that people are going to do what they want to do. I choose to follow the suggested guidelines. If you don't, that is okay with me. No one is going to change their mind because of anything posted here.

After sailing on NCL, Carnival, Celebrity, and Cunard, whenever the dress code comes up on these forums there are the naysayers and there are those who dress as recommended/suggested/required according to the cruiseline's guidelines. I have on a couple of occasions seen people turned away from the dining room but it doesn't often happen. My first Princess cruise is coming up in November--I'll let you know what I see after this sailing. ;)

Those who want to be the few odd men/women out don't affect my enjoyment of my cruise. There are cruiselines for everyone out there and for those of us who started cruising many years ago, I guess we will continue dressing formally for the formal nights until the odd man is no longer but has become the majority of those sailing. When that happens, I'll consider re-adjusting my thinking related to dress codes.:rolleyes:

Archived