Anytime Dining - Formal Wear

Lynniepoo

We are going on our first cruise in December on the Diamond Princess (12 days). We signed up for Anytime Dining...but I'm confused! Are there still 2 formal nights if you are on anytime dining? If so, how "formal" is formal? Are we talking Love Boat evening gowns?

Thanks all!:D

We are going on our first cruise in December on the Diamond Princess (12 days). We signed up for Anytime Dining...but I'm confused! Are there still 2 formal nights if you are on anytime dining? If so, how "formal" is formal? Are we talking Love Boat evening gowns?

Thanks all!:D

The formal nights with anytime dining are still formal. You can get by with a coctail dress or nice dress pants and sparkly top for ladies and a suit and tie for men. I love the formal nights - one thing I really miss on NCL, but when travelling overseas taking formal wear just takes up too much space in the suitcases. - mummsie :D

Women can wear almost anything they want

Men in short sleeve polo type shirts need a jacket to cover it to get to the table.

Men in long sleeve shirts will be seated.

This is the minimum a casual cruiser can wear.

Other posters will point out that many men will be in tuxes or suits and the casual cruiser will be in the minority - that is accurate.

You will have the same experience with anytime dining as with traditional, except that you will sit with different people each night. This can be a blessing! The food is the same, the dress code is the same. You only miss the baked Alaska parade on the last formal night, and that is rather silly, anyway. Yes, they still serve the baked Alaska, just without the parade. I suggest basic black for women with some glittery accessories - easy to pack. Formal ball gowns are too much. My DH wears a dark suit. Have fun!:D

Men in short sleeve polo type shirts need a jacket to cover it to get to the table.

Other posters will point out that many men will be in tuxes or suits and the casual cruiser will be in the minority - that is accurate.

I don't think you are correct in saying that men need to have a jacket to get to a table on formal nights. I have read several posts about this subject and several say that they were seated on formal nights with a table of 8 and some men had short sleeve polo shirts on with nice slacks and they were at the same table as people as tux's and dark suits.

Read previous posts on this subject it is a hot topic.

They are not going to deny you access to the MDR just because you do not have a coat on. (That is according to alot of other posts)

They are not going to deny you access to the MDR just because you do not have a coat on.(That is according to alot of other posts)
That's been our experience. My brother isn't into dressing for formal night. He's eaten in the MDR on formal night in chinos and a casual sweater a couple of times... no problem.

I think it depends on the ship, the itinerary and the Maitre 'd. We were on the Tahitian Princess last month and the patter said men mus wear a jacket and tie on Formal nights. I did not see any without a jacket. Not sure about ties. I don't know if people just knew how to dress or some were turned away.

Well we will be on the Sun Princess and from what I hear from the Aussie's they are very comfortable in casual wear so I don't think they will push the issue. We shall see but DH and myself are not brining any formal wear whatsoever. Will wear nice slacks and blouse but no fancy gowns or suit for husband. Will let you know.:p:p:p

Give it a rest already, Bob. The OP only asked if the dress code in Anytime was the same as that in Traditional. She didn't ask for the minimally-acceptable level nor did she ask for a percentage breakdown of tuxes versus suits or boxers versus briefs or any other extraneous garbage. It always seems to be you who stirs up these dress thread pots. Her question was answered; your input was unnecessary.

Let's not get a s**t chucking contest going again on this thread regarding formal nights' attire as there have been enough of them. The recommended wear for formal evenings can be found in the cruise answer book which is sent to you with your baggage tags. Yes, some folks get in wearing less formal...some don't.

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE MAITRE'D AND THE VESSEL YOU SAIL ON...YOU PAYS YER BUCKS BUDDY AND YA TAKES YER CHANCES

The question is...do you want to take the chance of being embarrassed by being turned away at the MDR doors?

BOTTOM LINE...Make your choice and if you aren't admitted to the MDR then you have nobody to blame but yourself, and you can't say you weren't told.

Ciao for now!!!

You've got to be kidding- "do you want to take the chance of being embarrassed by being turned away at the MDR doors?" Stop trying to imply that they make a big scene out of the dress inspection. You know they don't. If you would be turned away, and it's a big if, it would happen quietly and you would have to be dressed as a real slob for that to happen. Show up in a decent shirt & pair of pants and you'll be seated no matter what they publish in the Patter.

The vast majority of the passengers follow the requested dress code for all of the dining rooms, i.e., the dress code is exactly the same whether you are in Anytime or Traditional dining.

Give it a rest already, Bob. The OP only asked if the dress code in Anytime was the same as that in Traditional. She didn't ask for the minimally-acceptable level nor did she ask for a percentage breakdown of tuxes versus suits or boxers versus briefs or any other extraneous garbage. It always seems to be you who stirs up these dress thread pots. Her question was answered; your input was unnecessary.

Agree..

Well my post above was general guidelines to have a high probability of not being asked any questions. Some people do not want to be questioned.

I think the post in red above is the FUD factor (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) frequently suggested by the dress up crowd. I have never met a Maitre'd trying to embarass some one and ruin their cruise and do not believe Princess employs such a person.

As I have posted in the past I have sat with a family in t-shirts and shorts on formal night as their luggage was lost and Princess does not want to see your vacation ruined.

So yes other dress is also allowed and you can be assured being seated if you are willing to explain that your suit is in the lost luggage :cool::cool::cool:

From the poster's comments I read that he would have people lie to be allowed entry into the dining room on formal evenings in anything less than the recommended attire.

If this poster got kids, I hope they're not teaching his grandkids the same "lie and it'll work" philosophy. Oh well...like father like son I guess.

Ciao for now!!!

I agree. Bob definitely has an axe to grind.

give it a rest already, bob. The op only asked if the dress code in anytime was the same as that in traditional. She didn't ask for the minimally-acceptable level nor did she ask for a percentage breakdown of tuxes versus suits or boxers versus briefs or any other extraneous garbage. It always seems to be you who stirs up these dress thread pots. Her question was answered; your input was unnecessary.

thank you! :)

I agree. Bob definitely has an axe to grind.

I do not think Bob is the only one with an axe to grind. The dress up crowd has been misrepresenting formal night dress for as long as I can remember on this board.

Princess does not enforce formal night dress, but there are constantly people saying they do or implying you may be turned away.

Casual cruisers are warmly greeted by Princess on formal night. But if some one feels they need to explain they could always say they forgot to pack their jacket, or one of the bags was lost, etc. Not really any different than the dress up crowd misrepresenting formal night "suggested" dress as a requirement written in stone that is strictly enforced, as that is simply not true.

I do not think Bob is the only one with an axe to grind. The dress up crowd has been misrepresenting formal night dress for as long as I can remember on this board.

Princess does not enforce formal night dress, but there are constantly people saying they do or implying you may be turned away.

Casual cruisers are warmly greeted by Princess on formal night. But if some one feels they need to explain they could always say they forgot to pack their jacket, or one of the bags was lost, etc. Not really any different than the dress up crowd misrepresenting formal night "suggested" dress as a requirement written in stone that is strictly enforced, as that is simply not true.

However, Princess requests formal attire in the dining room. Lack of respect is what bothers me. No one is forcing you to participate. They have alternatives to the dining rooms. You know this when you book the cruise.

When the casual few come here and tell others to ignore the requests of Princess, they are leading them to believe that only the minority dress formal. That is deceiving the cruisers that make dress code inquiries.

The overwhelming majority dress in the clothes requested by Princess.

The dress up crowd is telling it like it is.:D

This is the statement from the front of the Sapphire Princess Patter last month (including typeface):

DINING ROOM DRESS STANDARDS FOR FORMAL NIGHT

Evening gowns, cocktail dresses or trouser suits for ladies

Tuxedos, slacks with dinner jacket or suits with a tie for gentlemen.

Passengers who wish to have a casual dinner on formal nights can take advantage of our Casual Dining option in the Horizon Court.

That is the defined standard on the Sapphire - not a request but a statement of standard. When we lost our luggage, Princess provided free formal clothes for the cruise for all of us.

This is the statement from the front of the Sapphire Princess Patter last month (including typeface):

Passengers who wish to have a casual dinner on formal nights can take advantage of our Casual Dining option in the Horizon Court.

That is the defined standard on the Sapphire - not a request but a statement of standard. When we lost our luggage, Princess provided free formal clothes for the cruise for all of us.

The Tahitain Patter had a similar comment. I did not see anyone in the dining room without a coat and tie.

Yes, I have read similar stuff and that is the point of these posts. While formal dress is encouraged they do not prohibit neatly dressed casual cruisers like me in a long sleeve shirt without jacket or tie.

Princess not only does not prohibit casual cruisers from the MDR they treat them very, very well.

We are going on our first cruise in December on the Diamond Princess (12 days). If so, how "formal" is formal? Are we talking Love Boat evening gowns?

Oh dear...yet again an innocent question about formal wear turns into a slinging match between the dress-ups and the dress-downs :confused:

To return to the original topic and hopefully answer part of your question, I was quite surprised by how many people did adhere to the formal dress guidelines on previous Diamond Princess cruises to NZ. The overwhelming majority of men wore a tux or dark suit and tie, with cocktail dresses, pants suits & some sequins or bling common among the ladies. There may be a few ball gowns but they're certainly not commonplace.

Now it is certainly a different story in Alaska, the Caribbean or on Sun & Dawn Princess ex Australia which are all much more relaxed when it comes to the dress code, but on both Diamond Princess NZ cruises that I have done the crowd was quite formal. It may have something to do with the fact that 75% of passengers were 60-75 year old well-travelled Americans for whom most the trip to Australia & NZ was a very special "once in a lifetime trip".

Lynniepoo...if you are on the 10 Dec sailing please feel free to drop by our rollcall.

Cheers

Andrew

Yes, I have read similar stuff and that is the point of these posts. While formal dress is encouraged they do not prohibit neatly dressed casual cruisers like me in a long sleeve shirt without jacket or tie.

Princess not only does not prohibit casual cruisers from the MDR they treat them very, very well.

It is not 'stuff', it is a statement of the required dress in the MDR as published by the Sapphire Princess management as well as a statement that if you wish to dress casually then you can take advantage of the Horizon Court. Facts seems to be irrelevant on this thread!

Archived