Need help in choosing new luggage?

Would like feedback from fellow cruisers as we are in process of purchasing new 'expandable 28" to 29" luggage with good capacity. Recessed rubber or hard composite wheels are are a must, as well as tear resistant nylon and zippers over a hard frame is what we have in mind. Thanks for any help you can offer.:)

We had purchased the new lightweight hard side luggage. First time used it, the cruise line (oosterdam), smashed in a side and ripped off a wheel.

We had three pieces. Second piece on Princess cruise, smashed in a side and bent the wheel. No more hard sided for us. got a nice lightweight Samsonite suitcase. Remember those big 29 inch suitcases with lots of compartments, when full can weigh over 50 pounds even if they say lightweight. Empty the lightweight large ones weigh in at 11 pounds vs. the regular at 13 pounds. We weighed ours to be sure.

I dealt with baggage in my job for 16yrs do not by hard side.1)it weighs to much and the airlines will charge you more money2)its hard to fit anywhere like under a beds 3)the only thing hard sides are good for in my 16yrs is protecting your close from weather.get a good quality soft side,its light weight and easy to carry,and in some case you cab fit more belongings in it.good luck

I havebeen using Victorinox Werks Traveler http://www.victorinox-travelgear.com/index.php?p=78&i=6769 for the past 8 years. I have a 27" and a 22" suitcase which have travelled on about 200 trips and over 1.5 million miles. The 22" suitcase was crushed at some point and the frame completely broken. Victorinox replaced it with the newer model without any argument. I like the single arm with the twisting handle which makes dragging them around much easier.

Would like feedback from fellow cruisers as we are in process of purchasing new 'expandable 28" to 29" luggage with good capacity. Recessed rubber or hard composite wheels are are a must, as well as tear resistant nylon and zippers over a hard frame is what we have in mind. Thanks for any help you can offer.:)

We've had luggage fitting exactly this description for over 12 years now (Ricardo Tiburon), which was a wedding gift. It has been all over the world with us, including all the cruises you'll see below, and has been very good to us. It has served us VERY well on cruises, in particular, and fits nicely under the beds on Princess ships.

We are in the market, ourselves, for new luggage -- simply because our poor cases have become somewhat battered by all the use, and I'm looking at purchasing something very similar. I've done some research, most of which confirms what I found on Consumer Reports: the best rated brands are (not necessarily in order, as my memory is a bit off): Victorinox, Briggs, TravelPro and Delsey, with the latter being listed as a "best buy". Personally, I'm leaning toward the TravelPro mostly because I have a TravelPro garment bag I purchased several years ago that I am very happy with and that has held up incredibly well to baggage handler abuse. ;)

Hope that helps. Good luck with your decision, and happy cruising! :D

We recently purchased Samsonite luggage, basically a duffel bag on wheels. We have only traveled with them once but they held up well and they're expandable and far more important, they're light!

DH and I have hanging bags [used on our very first cruise in 1985], and, they've been all over Europe with us. They're made by designer Pierre Cardin [mine a floral design, that would never be used today and his with a tweed], this makes it so easy to find after cruising or in the airport [along with the bright colored halloween ribbon that I put on the handles.]

They have no wheels; they fold-up easily and have a long and short handle. They have held-up unbelievably well. Mine is the perfect length for my formal attire and slacks and the hangers really "stay put"!

I have not been able to duplicate these hanging bags, any where!

Now, finally, the soft sides are starting to show some wear around the corners [where the bags fold-up.] I know I will need to replace them soon and am also interested in hearing others thoughts and recommendations.

I don't think I'd like a "hard-sided" anything....too restrictive both in weight and handling.

We fold our hanging bags, put them in a "granny cart", I pull a Briggs traveling bag [on wheels], while pushing the cart. I take the cart "everywhere", even onto the ship [when not carrying our folding bags] it carry's my purse; camera; jewelry bag and anything else that I may be taking on board. People may stare, I don't care!

I even take the granny cart onboard a flight......I push everything to the door of the plane, the stewardess takes the cart from me, puts a tag on it, places it into cargo and gives it back when I leave the plane. So convenient!

When going through check-in, the TSA agent takes the cart, checks it out; I go through inspection and the cart is given back to me. It's so handy to have.

Get something in a bright unusual color that is easy to spot at a distance. Even if it is black it is gonna get dirty. I have bright orange and love it. My friend has hot pink with big black polka dots. No one will be mistakenly grabbing it off the carousel. :D

And watch those outside pockets, which most seem to have these days. Someone in the UK came back and found a half eaten pizza stuffed inside! Better than having something taken from it, but still..........jocap.

Iast year I bought a set of Ricardo Luggage. Loved the upper compartment for use for your slacks & blouses, frees up the lower compartment for other clothes and had alot of nice extra compartments. The ones I bought, were the 28", 25"& smaller carry on plus Husbands Garmet Suitcase

We have been traveling wtih Victorinox luggage and really like it. I have seen them sold in Target, but we bought ours at a higer end department store. Not sure if the quality of Victorinox luggage is better from the department store, but though Target carried the same brand, I do recall liking the Victorinox models offered by the department store better. Anyhow, they have worked well. We've taken them to New Zealand, Hong Kong, Australia, Los Angeles, and will be traveling with them on a cruise next week. We purchsed becasue we believed they were both strong and light weight. So far, we've been very satisfied, and despite all the extensive travel, and flights, they still look new.

By the way, we choose the gray color. Stay away from black, as all luggage seems to be black. If you select a different color, you're luggage may be easier to spot at the luggage carrousel.

Since my earlier post I did a bit more research, both online and "on site" (at our local Macy's), and I purchased the 28" Travelpro Platinum 6 (on Amazon.com.) It's BIG, but seems to have everything we could need and will, I think, mean that we will no longer need to take a garment bag (in addition to a suitcase each.)

The odd thing is that, while all other pieces and sizes of this luggage are incredibly expensive EVERYWHERE, I found the Black 28" on sale on Amazon.com for $210 (with free super saver shipping.)

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028K2AWQ/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p193_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1ASA75YMG03DZMDP5J0J&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938131&pf_rd_i=507846

Oddly, the Red and Blue versions are nearly twice as expensive, at $384 each, and the slightly smaller 26" is $347 (in all colors.)

In talking with the gentleman in the Macy's luggage department, it seems everyone is having trouble selling the larger bags due to airline luggage charges and weight restrictions, which is probably why it is so (relatively) inexpensive on Amazon, but I haven't found it anywhere else for anywhere near this price.

So, if you're interest in a bag this size, you might want to strike while the iron is ... er ... cheap. ;)

Hope that might help someone.

Cheers!

Since my earlier post I did a bit more research, both online and "on site" (at our local Macy's), and I purchased the 28" Travelpro Platinum 6 (on Amazon.com.) It's BIG, but seems to have everything we could need and will, I think, mean that we will no longer need to take a garment bag (in addition to a suitcase each.)

The odd thing is that, while all other pieces and sizes of this luggage are incredibly expensive EVERYWHERE, I found the Black 28" on sale on Amazon.com for $210 (with free super saver shipping.)

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028K2AWQ/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p193_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1ASA75YMG03DZMDP5J0J&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938131&pf_rd_i=507846

Oddly, the Red and Blue versions are nearly twice as expensive, at $384 each, and the slightly smaller 26" is $347 (in all colors.)

In talking with the gentleman in the Macy's luggage department, it seems everyone is having trouble selling the larger bags due to airline luggage charges and weight restrictions, which is probably why it is so (relatively) inexpensive on Amazon, but I haven't found it anywhere else for anywhere near this price.

So, if you're interest in a bag this size, you might want to strike while the iron is ... er ... cheap. ;)

Cheers!

Thanks, for this info, ;)sounds like just what we are looking for...On my way to Amazon!!:D

Here's the link:

Cheers!

That was not a deal---it was a steal!:eek: Bought two with free shipping! Now looking for a 'roll on carry on' If you run across one, please post a reply here.... :):D

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. ;)

I'm glad I could help. I'll definitely let you know if I see anything else.

We did also pick up the matching duffle/tote bag for $100. Seemed like a good size and something we could carry onto the plane. At Macy's I looked at the 22" rollaboard that matches this set, and I like it quite a lot ... but you're not gonna get a "steal" on it, probably because they're so popular.

Cheers! ;)

We've looked at the new, improved, better lighweight luggage. Seems to us it is not that much lighter and the construction in many pieces that we have seen leaves something to be desired. I am sold on Costco Kirkland product. Have had the 21 inch roller for about 5 years. Take it on short business trips and four week European trips. Still looks as new and the wheels are first rate. DW always wants to borrow it. DW is about to downside from a 24 to a 21". It will either be Kirkland or a Travelpro.

We have softsided samsonite. The deciding feature for us the wheels. They are called spinners and basically are a set of double wheels in corner of the bag (eight wheels in total). The case will spin in any direction. Rolls better than any bag I ever had. The pull up handle is nice and long too. The bag is balanced to naturally falling into pull position when tipped. The bags have a grip handle on three of the four sides make it a breeze to pull off a carousel.

Last trip I rolled my carryon sideways up the plane aisle. It really is a great feature. I am certain other brands offer the option...look into it...you will not be sorry. The type I have is sold at the samsonite website.

So, the suitcases arrived today and they're ... big! Beautiful, but big. ;)

I'm going to do a "test pack" this weekend to see how careful I'll have to be in packing to meet airline weight restrictions. I'll report back. ;)

That's the problem with these "big" suitcases, they are more like Barcalounger's [as my husband calls the hanging, wheeling, handling of the Briggs & Riley bag our children bought us for our Anniversary!]

After trying to maneuver it through the door of our stateroom onboard the Oosterdam and then lugging it out of the terminal and trying to pick it up to place in our car, after our cruise; my DH renamed the darn thing!!!!!!

It was pricey and needed to be used but by much younger and stronger persons than us!!!!!!!

Archived