How much do the pictures cost.

We have our pictures taken at every opportunity - you never know which ones will turn out good and which ones won't. Usually we buy 2-3 of them per cruise. We really like Christopher who was on Mariner of the Seas earlier this year. I don't know if he is always with Mariner or not.

Pictures are usually about $20.00. We put all our together behind each other on the same slot so we can go through all of them in one place to decide which ones to buy. I don't think you are supposed to do that but we do beause we end up buying more so they can't complain.

If you have ever had a professional photo done, $20 is bargain basement, not a lot at all. Now if you were to buy 10 photos, $200 would be a lot to be spending for this type of photography.

Have your photo done as much as you want, there is no need to purchase any if you don't care for them. We typically will buy one per cruise, waiting until the last night to make our choice.

On my last cruise, they had "packages" where if you bought a certain amount of a certain size, they had a special offer. They also had an option for certain photos to be done in wallet sizes, which went a long way.

I spent about $900 on photos last month on the ship...they're $20 for an 8x10. Sometimes they run a special if you buy a lot...

A little known thing the photo manager told me was you can buy a package before the cruise that gives you unlimited pictures put on a cd for $1,000. I never saw this advertised so I don't know how you'd go about getting it...

If you're going to spend that amount of money on professional photos, why not go to a real professional photographer and have wonderful shots taken of your family?

While I do enjoy the cruise photos, there is no way they can compare to a photographer who is actually a professional photographer.

Pay attention to the people taking pics onboard the ships. They take the same 5 or so poses with everyone, in all backdrops with the exception of the white where you get on the floor. They are not as creative as a real photographer, they do not have the training nor the artistic ability.

Normally I avoid having my picture taken when on or off board.

if we were on formal night to have a piccy done how much would it cost to buy?

will be on the Jewel incase that makes any difference.

It depends on size but the largest sizes are $19.95. My suggestion is to take as many pictures that you can (ports, formal night, "just cruising", etc) and then look at all your pictures the last night or debarkation morning. Collect them all up and compare/contrast to determine which are good and which you would burn if you could. Then buy the ones you like and let them throw out the rest.

You could also try to negotiate prices on the last day but there are no guarantees on that. Just last week I watched a lady buy all but a couple of her pics and then asked if they'd just throw in the final two (she asked if they were just going to throw them out and they said "yes"). They let her have them.

I spent about $900 on photos last month on the ship...they're $20 for an 8x10. Sometimes they run a special if you buy a lot...

A little known thing the photo manager told me was you can buy a package before the cruise that gives you unlimited pictures put on a cd for $1,000. I never saw this advertised so I don't know how you'd go about getting it...

I'm not sure that's such a great deal. The photos are all pretty much the same poses with different backgrounds. I'd rather go to a professional shop and get some artistic ability (this coming from someone who is in front of the camera as a part time gig). Even if your professional shop won't drop the pcis to CD, you could always get a quality scanner and scan them in (HP makes some great printer/scanner combos). It's not the same as having the original 10 MP image but it allows you to digitize the images so you can post them to FB/MyS/Flickr/Twtr/Picso/CC/SportsNation/etc. And, no, I'm not addicted to social networking. :p

Please don't underestimate the qualifications of the Photographers on board Cruise ships.

My son works as a Cruise ship Photographer and needed a 'degree' for the job. These youngsters work incredibly long hours, for very little pay, keep smiling even though they get very little sleep due to the crippling hours they work and make your holiday memorable. They also have to buy their own equipment and it is NOT cheap. They get people making abusive comments on a daily basis but have to keep taking photographs and never answer back ! You have to be tough to survive !

Geez,

well... what you can do is check with me if I'm available during your cruise. Buy me a cruise ticket and you have your very own photographer ready to push the shutter when you snap your fingers.

LOL

:D

but seriously, Tizzy is right. Those guys and gals work hard.

We were on the Liberty a week ago. 8X10's were $20 and 6X8's were $10. If you bought 3 6X8's you got the fourth one free. If you bought 3 8X10's you got a frame with an additional photo of the ship on the other side of the frame. If you find your 8X10 photo early enough and like it, you can ask them to make it as a 6x8 instead if that's better for you.

We haven't bought photos onboard in YEARS, but had our niece with us and it was her first cruise, so we splurged on her account...

We were on the Adventurer the end of August. They had a point system where you could purchase 10 points for $80.00 An 8x10 cost 2 points (works out to 5 pictures for $80.00) Only 1 point for small sized pictures. For us it was a good deal. I really like the white background pictures. They are always a little different. Jan

Please don't underestimate the qualifications of the Photographers on board Cruise ships.

My son works as a Cruise ship Photographer and needed a 'degree' for the job. These youngsters work incredibly long hours, for very little pay, keep smiling even though they get very little sleep due to the crippling hours they work and make your holiday memorable. They also have to buy their own equipment and it is NOT cheap. They get people making abusive comments on a daily basis but have to keep taking photographs and never answer back ! You have to be tough to survive !

That's a bit of a surprise, their work is so stifled I'm a bit baffled why a trained person would want that type of job. I look at photography as an art so to me it's like asking an artist to draw the same 5 pictures hundreds of times per day.

You have to be joking !!! $20 for a picture !!!!!!

you can take one for 10 cents ...or in the uk for 5p

again a rip off.........they really do think that people on a cruise are an easy target...

Hi Happy KS

The work may well be stiffling at times but needs must!!!... My son is a trained architect but like thousands of young graduates in the UK there are no jobs because of the Credit Crunch and he is jolly glad to be doing something else he really enjoys. The hours are horrendously long but he gets to see a bit of the world and loves meeting people.

The prices are always going to be fairly high for the photographs as there are so many overheads. People are under no obligation to buy them...but to keep these young people in work I sincerely hope you will consider buying one or two every now and then. I do !

again a rip off.........they really do think that people on a cruise are an easy target...

All the cruise lines charge this, you will find the same price on that other line you are so fond of. Again no one is forcing you to buy them.

I have found the prices to be comparable to similar photos we have had taken at other 'tourist' attractions- think Disney, Las Vegas attractions, assorted roller coster pictures, Yankee Stadium has started doing this, etc, and these are typcially nicer, at least in that for the shore candids you may have a nicer background and for the formal pictures you at least have a chance of having your hair done nicely as opposed to wearing just day clothes in some of the ones I have from various places.

For me it has been a sort of a multi-step process, with some of the steps being sticker shock, comparison shopping, and then realizing that since I am the one with the camera always in my hand, I am rarely in any of my own vacation photos.

So I buy them, in what I consider to be moderation. A few of my favorite pictures of me & Mr. OC have been taken on cruise ships or at DisneyWorld. I have also had plenty of bad pictures taken that I have not chosen to buy.

I especially think that formal night pictures are a great chance for a family who would not otherwise go to a photo studio as a group to get a reasonably nice photo for what may be an expensive price to them, but will be a nice memory.

And purchasing one photo for $20 is much cheaper than say for example the cheapest photo package we got the last go around with our church directory photos- that had to be $200+ for a few 5x7s and maybe 1 8x10 and that is certainly not our favorite photo. Had grandparents to please, so we bought it, but blech- that we thought was a rip-off.

My only complaint is that darn 6x8 size. Can't stand it. Too hard to frame.

I never buy the pics taken by the photographers on a ship. They are too expensive and usually not very good. We have other passengers take pics of us on the ship and excursions and return the favor. At dinner we have a waiter take group pics and they are usually better than the "official" ones.

Of course, I seldom buy pics from a studio, either. Just had my pic taken for our parish directory and their prices were ridiculous. I just took the free one and got a pkg of 12 wallets for family members.

There are a lot of other things I'd rather spend my money on. $900, $1000? :eek: You've got to be kidding!!!

How many times are you dressed to the nine with family, and have a photographer insight. The cost $20, having a nice picture of your family looking beautiful PRICELESS:D

Pics aren't about the price but occasion which are truly priceless

I won't take the trip until I can afford the tips and the pics;)

Archived