Pompeii Circumvesuviana Train Schedule/Planner

cruisemom42

In searching around for detailed information on the Circumvesuviana train, I found this great link that lets you input your start and finish points, date, and time, and it will then give you all the train departures that match closest with your desired schedule, as well as the arrival time at your destination and ticket price.

The site is in Italian (with some English), but the drop down menu makes it pretty easy to find the correct stations.

http://servizi.vesuviana.it/orari/orarinew2/modulow3c.htm

The Naples station is Napoli -- Porta Nolana -- Corso Garibaldi

The Pompeii station is Pompeii Scavi -- Villa dei Misteri

The Herculaneum station is Ercolano Scavi

The Sorrento station is simply Sorrento

Edited by cruisemom42

Thanks, cruisemom....the schedule is exactly what I was looking for.....will arrive in Naples 11/11 on NCL....Plan on going to Pompeii then Sorrento. You have been so helpful; Do you know if the ferries will be running back to Beverello from Sorrento at thiat time?

I'm not planning on using the ferries so I hadn't really looked into it, but I did a quick search on TripAdvisor where it was affirmed the ferries do run in November (but perhaps a bit less frequently). However, if the weather is bad -- rough seas -- they are sometimes canceled. Best to have a back-up plan. You can always take the train back.

We just got home from a cruise that stopped in Naples and my dh and I took the train from Naples to Pompeii got off toured around there for a few hours and then used the same tickets to get back on the train to go on to Sorrento. It was very easy and affordable! We even walked to the train station, but I would not say that the walk is for everyone. The sidewalks are not the easiest to navigate(some construction), and it is about a mile from the pier.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, cruisemom....the schedule is exactly what I was looking for.....will arrive in Naples 11/11 on NCL....Plan on going to Pompeii then Sorrento. You have been so helpful; Do you know if the ferries will be running back to Beverello from Sorrento at thiat time?

I have not been there in Nov, but I have researched the 4 main ferry/hydrofoil companies [Metro del Mare, Alilauro, Caremar & SNAV].

None of them are offering service for the end of October [RCCL oct 25] for the return from Sorrento to Napoli (Beverello). Service to Capri is still available, but the schedules are greatly reduced, to the point that the options are limited. Hope this helps....

Skier40

Thanks for the tip re: Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii. When touring Rome in 2000, we weren't able to go to Naples due to time constrictions.

This time, since we're going to dock in Naples (Norwegian Jade in June, 2010), we'll go to Pompeii (probably on our own) and savor Napoli as well before returning to the ship.

• 5 years later...

You've pulled up an old thread so let's update the information and links.

The first step is to get from the cruise port to the Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana station. To do this you take the #1 tram which you find in the street in front of the cruise port (Via Nuova Marina). You need a ticket for the tram, which you can purchase from any of the newsstands in the area.

Ideally, you want to purchase the NA2 Integrato ticket, which costs €2,50 as this will cover both the tram ride as well as the Circumvesuviana train to Ercolano Scavi. Purchase two tickets, one for your return, as the station in Ercolano does not have a ticket office.

However, you may not be able to find this specific ticket at a newsstand. If you can't, you'll have to buy the UNA Aziendale for €1, and then purchase an NA2 Aziendale for €2 when you get to the Circumvesuviana station. If this is the case just purchase one UNA ticket.

Be sure to get on the #1 tram as there are two different lines that use the stop in front of the cruise port. You'll be on the train for six stops, getting off at the first stop after the tram makes a left turn onto Corso Garibaldi. The stop is right in front of the Circumvesuviana Porta Nolana station.

If you were able to get the NA2 Integrato ticket you can just head down the stairs/escalator to the tracks.

If you were not able to get the NA2 ticket, go first to the ticket office on the ground floor. Purchase one NA2 Aziendale ticket for the trip to Ercolano, and one NA2 Integrato for the return.

At the track level, check the board to find the next train leaving for Sorrento. You can see the schedule here but you'll need to check the board for the track assignment: http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/orariautomobilisti/NapoliSorrento_New2015.pdf

Exit the train at Ercolano Scavi. You can make a google map of the area to see the walk to the ruins, it's pretty much a straight line down Via IV Novembre.

The entrance fee for the ruins at Ercolano is €11: http://pompeiisites.org/Sezione.jsp?titolo=TICKETS+AND+INFO&idSezione=6786

To return to Naples simply reverse the process. The return Circumvesuviana schedule is here: http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/orariautomobilisti/Orario%20Sorrento_Napoli.pdf

To get to the museum in Naples, exit the Circumvesuviana at the next to the last station, Garibaldi. Your NA2 integrato ticket will cover both the Circumvesuviana train to Naples as well as the metro to the museum. Follow the signs to Metro line 1 and take the train to the Museo station (the 4th stop right now, but there are two new stops under construction so it may not be the 4th one when you go). You can see the metro map here: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/IT/IDPagina/16510

After visiting the museum it's a lovely walk of just over a mile, downhill, back to the cruise port along Via Toledo.

Great schedule !!! How do you get to the Napoli -- Porta Nolana -- Corso Garibaldi station from the cruise port?

We like to walk (about 20-25 min) but one can also take the Tram that is located right across from the port. But if using the Tram (or a local bus which another option) make sure you have a map or help to know when to hop off.

Hank