How To Find Nazca Lines Tour Operators

Bassethound

Why can't I seem to find any operators who fly the Nazca lines out of Pisco or Ica? They all seem to operate out of Lima and when we dock at the Picso port we will be nearly there.

Anyone with info on local flights I can pick up in Pisco PLEASE let me know.

Why can't I seem to find any operators who fly the Nazca lines out of Pisco or Ica? They all seem to operate out of Lima and when we dock at the Picso port we will be nearly there.

Anyone with info on local flights I can pick up in Pisco PLEASE let me know.

I know for sure the Pisco airport is a "non certified" airport. Can't fly a "commercial" plane in there. Used as an optional emergency landing strip and for private planes (not tours).

Don't know about Ica because that is where all the planes/tours from Lima switch to the low wing planes for the Nazca Lines overflights. Try calling some of the tour operators that run the tours from Lima and see if you can't join the tour in Ica. You would have to find your own way to the airport.

Check out the following websites-be sure and write them an e-mail , specifying your needs and interests. It seems (from some blogs I´ve read and a search of the web in Portuguese) that there are flights from Pisco. But you need to contact them and find out the details.

http://www.mysteryperu.com

http://www.enjoyperu.com

http://www.peru-landtravel.com

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Kim

Hi Kim,

It's Michaela (from the Summit 2008 Barcalona to Venice) we were on the ship with you and your delightful family. It is such a pleasent surprise to see your name pop up.:)

Tibor and I are going on the cruise with Bassethound and Tibor was intrested in joining the Nazca tour with them, so thanks very much for the info you provided.

I am hoping you can help me, we will be in Lima for one and a half days and was wondering if you could recommend a private driver tour operator, ( like we had on our European tour that we shared with you) we are also looking for the same thing for Manta and Puerto San Martin Pisco. As this is our first trip into South America and we don't speak a word of spanish we are relying on good english speaking guides. So far I haven't been able to get any info.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give us all on this cruise and it's really nice to be in touch with you again.

P.S. We are planning a trip for the Rio Carnival in 2011 so your help then will be wonderful.

Michaela

Check out the following websites-be sure and write them an e-mail , specifying your needs and interests. It seems (from some blogs I´ve read and a search of the web in Portuguese) that there are flights from Pisco. But you need to contact them and find out the details.

http://www.mysteryperu.com

http://www.enjoyperu.com

http://www.peru-landtravel.com

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Kim

If anyone is flying tours from Pisco, they are flying a "non certified" route, much like a charter or a private plane. You are totally dependent on the tour operator to provide insurance and support. Your travel insurance would be no good so if you got hurt landing or taking off you have NO recourse against anyone EXCEPT the tour operator.

Here is what I meant about joing a tour in Ica. Know nothing about this company (Destinos Turisticos in Cusco), but quite a few of the tours from most that leave Lima switch planes in Ica. It should be very doable, but you most likey will have to pay for the entire tour (from Lima) unless you get enough people together to fill the plane out of Ica only.Then you may even get pickup in Ica.

"Departure from Jorge Chavez airport (09.30 hrs) in a non stop flight to Ica. At our arrival to Ica city, the airline staff will help us to make the immediate connection and board a light aircraft "high wing", in which we will have a better view of the majestic Nazca lines."

Michaela-

Hello!It is lovely to "find" you again. I have such wonderful memories of our Med adventure-a very special trip.

I have never used a private guide in Peru .... I did a search here in Brazil to see if I could garner anything useful for you all and came up with these websites . They appear to be reputable. You may also google "Alegria Tours" and "Nazca Trails" , which are agencies which hit all of Peru´s major sites.

The following airlines all do the Nazca Lines: Aero Condor (http://www.aerocondor.com.pe)

Aeroparacas (with flights originating in Pisaco , Lima and Nazca)

Aero Ica (as cited by Greatam)

There are many others which are small operations with varying office hours.

Greatam makes an important point about insurance. That is why it is fundamental to contact these agencies and ask questions about your specific route and plans-you can include questions about insurance if you need too.

Perhaps you could visit travel forums on Peru to get info from travelers who have had personal experiences doing this trip-check out the travel forums on Fodors , Frommers and Tripadvisor (TA has destination experts who have lots of good info).

Good luck and have a fabulous trip.

Kim

EVERYONE,

PLEASE be careful booking airplanes/tours in South America. Quite a few airlines/private charters in South America DO NOT meet US standard (or any country's standards) for flights. There are MANY, MANY safety violations in South America with small airlines and they get shut down frequently. AeroCondor was shut down by the Peruvian Transportation Minister sometime in 2008 for safety violations. They are only allowed to fly small aircraft now, which do not have the same stringent safety requirements as large planes.

Aero Continente, once the largest Peruvian airline, was shut down by a joint cocaine task force between Peru and the USA but has reopened AGAIN under "supposedly" new ownership. It is ILLEGAL for US citizens to fly AeroContinente/Nuevo Continente or any variation, per the US State/Treasury Dept's. Most would not know this, but since I am in the international logistics business and must move freight by air/sea/land all over SA and our company subscribes to a variety of intelligence service reports, I was alerted to this.

Please carefully check who you are doing business with. I have taken quite a few small planes in and around SA. I ask for the safety certs. IF the operator cannot produce them, I don't fly.

For the OP-I personally would feel MUCH safer booking with one of the high profile Lima opertaors who stops in Ica to change planes. Contact three or four of them and see if you can't just board in Ica. May cost you a few dollars more, but at least you should be safe.

All of the operators I cited in my post are recommended by Frommers and Fodors. As I mentioned , there are several good articles online about the Nazca operations. Check them out , as they describe in detail the flight process , the irreputable companies which exist , topographical maps of the lines themselves etc.

The aircraft which will take you over the lines will most likely be older (90% are). Obviously , there is some risk involved-you must weigh your desire to have this experience with your "comfort zone". The reality is that few countries in the world have the safety standards as the US and Europe and you must educate yourself of the risks involved and make an informed decision.

This is hard to do at times-because of the internet and the instant info at our fingertips , the world has become a very scary place. Dangers are everywhere-in the past , we were all a bit "blissfully oblivious". 20 years ago , I frequently used strange , now obsolete SA airlines routinely to save money! Rather like riding all over in my parents´car with no seatbelt as a child and walking to the ball park when I was six all by myself. Unheard of now....

As I said , it is very important to study up and do what you feel comfortable with. There is a lot of info available...just dig , ask lots of questions and have fun. Try googling "flying over Nazca lines from Pisco"! and http://www.peruadventuretours.com.

Aeroparacas is consistently recommended on almost every website about Peru travels-as I said , they apparently leave from Pisco.Check them out.

Kim

Thank you Kim for your good wishes and all the info, it will be put to good use and if ever you are planning a trip downunder it will be my pleasure to help you in anyway we can. Best wishes to all your family.

Greatam: Thank you for the valuable input my husband will look into it carefully and make up his mind using your advise.

Maryann: I will be checking them out thank you for your input.

Michaela

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I did the Nasca lines from Lima three years ago. Comercial flight from Lima to Ica, a tour of a local oaisis, flight over the lines in a 8 seat aircraft, and lunch then flew back to Lima... Ours was during a land tour (not a cruise).

It was not inexpensive, but well organized. We booked it with a local company, Amazing Peru (they had handled our other arrangements as well)

Our flight over the lines was delayed by a mechanical. While waiting I took a tour of the maintenance hanger... The floor was clean enough to eat off of, the tools well organized, the maintenance people clearly qualified to do what they were doing... I had no concerns about safety.

We got a treat... since the flight was delayed we were offered a tour of a local Pisco distillery... Very traditional, not very touristy, lots of fun...

Archived