Five plead guilrty in Antigua taxi dispute

jleq

Ask Mike Tyson. Did he think Evander Holyfield was about to kill him? With boxing gloves on?

Yes, thugs bite people. Mike Tyson is proof.

If I was fighting for my life..........I would not hesitate to bite and bite and bite.............so nice people would bite too;)

If I was fighting for my life..........I would not hesitate to bite and bite and bite.............so nice people would bite too;)

Agreed... I think people who fight for their life bite. But people who are pi$$ed off can get so angry they will revert back to kindergarten and bite. I think that is what happened.

Just because someone pleads guilty doesn't mean they ARE guilty. Look at all the people in the United States who plea-bargain to a lesser charge to avoid a trial that would result in a lengthly sentence should they lose.

They plea bargain because they have enough evidence to convict at trial. There's not much evidence against innocent people. It not a 100% perfect system, but mistakes are rare, and it's the best system anyone has come up with yet.

There were a LOT of witnesses to these events. There's no shortage of evidence. There may even be more witness than we know of. Maybe there is video evidence. Whatever they had on them, it was enough.

They plea bargain because they have enough evidence to convict at trial. There's not much evidence against innocent people. It not a 100% perfect system, but mistakes are rare, and it's the best system anyone has come up with yet.

There were a LOT of witnesses to these events. There's no shortage of evidence. There may even be more witness than we know of. Maybe there is video evidence. Whatever they had on them, it was enough.

That is not true........

Maybe the people did break the law but I don't think they intended to go brawl with police officers. Guilty or not guilty we shouldn't be going to Antigua if this is how law enforement acts.

Okay, replace "Antigua" with, say, "Texas" or "Florida", or just pick any old state if you wish. Would it still be your opinion that tourists should avoid these places over a lone example of police overreaction and/or corruption?

If all people reacted to examples in the news of police idiocy in the same way you have here, who the hell would ever want to visit the US?

Okay, replace "Antigua" with, say, "Texas" or "Florida", or just pick any old state if you wish. Would it still be your opinion that tourists should avoid these places over a lone example of police overreaction and/or corruption?

You forgot to mention NYC.....;);)

I would definitely not bite, slap, kick or swear at a cop there.....Ouch.....

I am astounded that so many people side with the tourists here. Even after they admitted they were guilty, people are rationalizing why they were not really guilty. That it's ok to start punching and biting if you are angry or afraid. Just amazes me at the lack of the basic "right versus wrong."

Maybe people can see themselves in that situation, but really, how many people are going to handle things like those tourists did, shouting profanities and refusing to mind? I would hate to think there are a lot more people who are like that.

Actually, there probably are. I have seen videos where the cruise line cancels ports of call due to weather or mechanical difficulties, and people decide they deserve compensation and start demonstrations. That's pathetic - are we a nation of morons who pitch a fit if we don't get what we expect from someone? Why not just be civilized and if you don't like how you are treated don't come back.

I am sure those tourists wish they had just handed over the extra $50 - I guarantee you they wish they had done that.

I am astounded that so many people side with the tourists here. Even after they admitted they were guilty, people are rationalizing why they were not really guilty. That it's ok to start punching and biting if you are angry or afraid. Just amazes me at the lack of the basic "right versus wrong."

Maybe people can see themselves in that situation, but really, how many people are going to handle things like those tourists did, shouting profanities and refusing to mind? I would hate to think there are a lot more people who are like that.

Actually, there probably are. I have seen videos where the cruise line cancels ports of call due to weather or mechanical difficulties, and people decide they deserve compensation and start demonstrations. That's pathetic - are we a nation of morons who pitch a fit if we don't get what we expect from someone? Why not just be civilized and if you don't like how you are treated don't come back.

I am sure those tourists wish they had just handed over the extra $50 - I guarantee you they wish they had done that.

I'm not siding with anyone but to state that pleading guilty is admitting guilt (especially in a drawn out case) is very naive.

If all people reacted to examples in the news of police idiocy in the same way you have here, who the hell would ever want to visit the US?

LA would be empty.

If that's the case, they shoulda 'settled' a month ago.

Based on the results that is true..........but who knows what their lawyer recommended at the time. And lawyers have a vested interest in the case going to trial so they get paid more.

Based on the results that is true..........but who knows what their lawyer recommended at the time. And lawyers have a vested interest in the case going to trial so they get paid more.

I'll bet a good beer that their attorneys will not see any money from them.

Oprah, maybe, but not these idiots.

I have been a server for more years than I can count and I will not stiff anyone. So I just felt that the extra that he charged was going to be part of his tip and then just gave a few dollars more.

I am sorry, but I can't wrap my head around that type of thinking. No matter what, poor service, bad attitudes, and in the case you mentioned (basically) stealing from you and you would give the person a few dollars more because, why?, you have been a server for all those years.

Not me. And don't even think of accusing me of stiffing someone. In the case of a server, they would know why they weren't getting a tip and their supervisor/manager would also be informed. In the case of the taxi driver, I have had a similar situation occur, told the driver his tip was included in his "adjusted" fare and then I called his employer to let them know what happened just in case he wasn't sharing with them.

I know this is off a bit from the subject of the thread, and I apologize.

Oh sure. I lob a meatball and you hit it out of the park! :D

Thanks for the lob.....LOL...

I guess most still don't realize he was charging them $50 tour and to a beach and then they wanted to go back to the ship and he said $50 more. I see no ripoff there....They could of asked another driver to take them back. Then they refused to pay him and fought with police.

Now they have pled guilty....Geeze, I wonder why.....:rolleyes:

Over $50....I'm sure we will here too much about this on the news when they get back to the US.

I will opt to change the channel......:D

If' date=' when they arrived at the police station, they had explained their position in an adult and mature manner, things could have turned out very differently.

They chose to square off and exchange blows with the cops.....really, really bad move.[/quote']

LOL! This I agree to. :)

I'm not siding with anyone but to state that pleading guilty is admitting guilt (especially in a drawn out case) is very naive.

Nunu,

On the other hand assuming that pleading guilty is not an admission of guilt is just as naive. . . . . . probably more so. Do innocent people plead guilty . . absolutely, but more guilty people plead guilty to reduce sentences they would receive if found guilty at trial.

In actuality (at least by U.S. standards) this was not a drawn out case. I will admit that the length of time it took for trial seemed a bit onerous. But there were 6 defendants. Here in the states it might have gone quicker, but I can almost guarantee that they would not have gotten to trial as quick as this bunch did. They were at trial in a little over a week after the transgression was committed. One week after transgression here, there plea may be taken, but they would only be in the initial stages of discussion with their lawyer. Depending on location, trial could be 6 months to a year or more in the future.

I just hope their guilty plea keeps them from ever traveling on a cruise ship again!

I assume that you are a criminal defense attorney?

Unless the charge is being reduced to some minor misdemeanor, people do not plead guilty to major offenses unless they are guilty. After a month of trial the only reason these people pled guilty is because they did what they pled guilty to doing.

BTW in this country pleading guilty means that you admit doing the facts involved in order to convict you of the crime. Anyone who pleads guilty is admitting guilt. To think other wise is very naive!

Archived