Just booked Dec 2010!

beth555

I just booked our Antarctic expedition on the Clelia II for next Dec 2010. There will be 3 of us traveling including my then 16 year old son. The trip is 21 days and includes South Georgia. This is the most expensive trip we will have taken and so we will be eating lots of sandwhiches, turning down the heat in the winter (live in PA) and anything else we need to do. I read how so many people said this was a trip of a lifetime and we are definatly looking forward to this one.

I just booked our Antarctic expedition on the Clelia II for next Dec 2010. There will be 3 of us traveling including my then 16 year old son. The trip is 21 days and includes South Georgia. This is the most expensive trip we will have taken and so we will be eating lots of sandwhiches, turning down the heat in the winter (live in PA) and anything else we need to do. I read how so many people said this was a trip of a lifetime and we are definatly looking forward to this one.

Sounds great, who has the tour using the Clelia II, not sure I have heard of that on here on the board. I am still thinking about 2011 sometime or maybe Galapagos or South Pacific. Antarctica would be my choice but without a roommate it is extremely expensive.

We leave in November for Antarctica with Hurtigruten. We hope to do a "live from Antarctica" thread here for any interested. We made our final pay today.We have been working on this for 2 years, so waiting a little over a year for yours will be no problem.

Rc

snowbird1

Have you looked at the Fram? I think they are one of the ships that offer good deals on single cabins. The Minerva may as well. We picked the Clelia II because it had a good deal on a triple and appears to be a nice ship. I believe it was sailing the Great Lakes this summer and this winter will be its first trip down to the Antarctic

Sounds great, who has the tour using the Clelia II, not sure I have heard of that on here on the board. I am still thinking about 2011 sometime or maybe Galapagos or South Pacific. Antarctica would be my choice but without a roommate it is extremely expensive.

Most of the Antarctica lines will book a roomate for you, if you want. I was a little skeptical at first-DH REFUSED to go and I sure couldn't afford the trip as a solo. It actually worked out fine-3 women, one my age (late 50's) and one 30ish (nature photographer). It was crowded in the cabin (no suites for us), but we all got along OK. Saved the single supplement and I got the trip of a lifetime (semi circumnavigation of Antarctica ending in New Zealand-30+ days).

Beth - Congrats on your booking. Our 18-day cruise on the Hanseatic (also including South Georgia - our favorite part of the whole experience) was the best cruise - maybe even best trip of any sort - we've taken. You will find that the time will fly between now and your departure to South America.

Snowbird - In the past, Minerva II has offered fantastic single supplements (only 10% on some cruises) in Antarctica. That is because the ship sails about half-full in the Antarctic in order to have only two landing groups of less than 100 persons each. Since it is sailing half-full, there are loads of available cabins, with the consequence that Swan Hellenic (or whoever is managing the cruise - it used to be Abercrombie & Kent and Regent, neither of which are using that ship this coming season as far as I can tell) can offer great single supps.

By the way, we loved our cruise in the Galapagos this past April; but it did not come close to ousting our Antarctica/South Georgia cruise from the position of "best trip ever".

Have fun planning.

Cheers, Fred

We leave in November for Antarctica with Hurtigruten. We hope to do a "live from Antarctica" thread here for any interested. We made our final pay today.We have been working on this for 2 years, so waiting a little over a year for yours will be no problem.

Rc

I look forward to reading your live thread.

We're looking at Jan. 2011 on Celebrity Infinity. I'm a little concerned about flying from PA in Jan., so we'll leave a couple of days early incase of weather delays. And by the way, cutting the heat down in the winter in PA is a bit too drastic for me;)

Archived