St Petersburg Evening Options

We are exploring evening options in St Petersburg and would like some feedback from anyone who has participated in one. Currently we are looking at the following options:

1. Folkloric Show at Nicholas Palace

2. Ballet

3. Night Cruise

We will be visiting St Petersburg in July.

Last summer, we seriously considered and would have like to have done the ballet. BUT, it was a three-hour program of Swan Lake. That was just too, too long and late to be sitting after a length day touring and doing so much. Plus, having a busy, on-the-go full schedule the next day in St. Petersburg. On the ballet, the programs might not be done and set till maybe a month or so ahead of your scheduled visit. I'm not sure a night cruise will work that well. As an example on July 15, the sun will not set till 11:05 pm. That's a plus in some ways, but if you are seeking to see the lighted buildings at dusk, you will be disappointed.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We are exploring evening options in St Petersburg and would like some feedback from anyone who has participated in one. Currently we are looking at the following options:

1. Folkloric Show at Nicholas Palace

2. Ballet

3. Night Cruise

We will be visiting St Petersburg in July.

The Folkloric Show was a wonderful evening ,we enjoyed every minute .

I am sure that you will too

I am a huge fan of the Mariinsky, either ballet or opera. They will probably have the show schedule about 2 months in advance (right now they have October and November posted).

Another option is to simply go out for dinner to a restaurant and walk around a bit. It will still be very light almost the entire day in July and there are many wonderful restaurants in St. Petersburg. This is a bit more adventurous than going with a tour guide though.

I am a huge fan of the Mariinsky, either ballet or opera. They will probably have the show schedule about 2 months in advance (right now they have October and November posted).

Another option is to simply go out for dinner to a restaurant and walk around a bit. It will still be very light almost the entire day in July and there are many wonderful restaurants in St. Petersburg. This is a bit more adventurous than going with a tour guide though.

I thought you had to be with a tour guide? We would love to be able to walk around without a guide. Were you able to do this and if so how did you manage it ? Thanks looking forward to your answer...... We will be there in Aug. 2010 on JOS.

I thought you had to be with a tour guide? We would love to be able to walk around without a guide. Were you able to do this and if so how did you manage it ? Thanks looking forward to your answer...... We will be there in Aug. 2010 on JOS.

It is possible to be in SPB without a guide, just more difficult. I should have specified a little more what I meant: for you that option would probably include a tour guide, just less of a structured "tour". Your guide or people familiar with the city can make recommendations but it IS possible to find guides that are very flexible with things like shows, dinner, and general wandering!

My favorite restaurant is called Black Cat White Cat, there is also a fantastic Chinese (not like American Chinese) place only one block from the Mariinsky. Grab an ice cream from a cart/street vendor, try the one called Dasha. Eat some blini. Drink vodka (Brilliant/Diamond is the best) and eat caviar. All are part of the authentic Russian feel :)

My situation was a bit different as I was on a long term student visa. I haven't been to SPB by ship yet, planning my next cruise to get back there ASAP, though!

We did the canal cruise at the end of a very long day and while it was enjoyable it wasn't anything special.

On the other hand one of the couples on our tour did do the folkloric show and raved about it the next day.

We were just too worn out. Amazed and thrilled by SPB but slept very well.

JKW

ps- as others have said- sun still out- ain't no night cruise.

We did the canal cruise at the end of a very long day and while it was enjoyable it wasn't anything special.

On the other hand one of the couples on our tour did do the folkloric show and raved about it the next day. We were just too worn out. Amazed and thrilled by SPB but slept very well. JKW ps- as others have said- sun still out- ain't no night cruise.

Hi, to JKW from Central Ohio. Maybe your canal cruise wasn't that special. In part, it might depend on your interests and what type of private guide you have. Our guide (Jane from Anastastia) was wonderful in giving the details that made things come alive explaining what happened where, why some locations were more important, answering our questions, etc. If you like architecture and have a nice day, then the views from the canal tour are wonderful. It's a nicer angle than just at street level. Lots of great options in St. Petersburg!!! Depends on what fits your personal interests and needs.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 4 weeks later...

I, too, was interested in the folkshow at the Nikolaevsky Palace, but I just found out that there are 2 large staircases that need to be climbed to watch the performance. I have 2 elderly members of my group who will not be able to do so, and there is no elevator available. Does anyone know of another folkshow that is also good? I will be sailing on HAL, and I see their folk show excursion is rated as "easy". Does anyone know what show the cruise ships use? Thanks

Archived