Computer/Wifi Savvy Question??????????

tasha78

Hi all, just wondering, is there wifi aavailable on any of the following ports, cozumel, belize, turks,cabo, peurto rico........i want to be able to email and avoid those high prices onboard.....thanks in advance 4 ur responses.:):confused::confused:

The cost is the same whether you use ship's computer or your own laptop. We used to use ship's computer and buy package. We now bring my Netbook and buy the same package for same price.

Most of the time, I find ship's WiFi is about the speed of dial up.

I'm sure it's cheaper ashore to check email etc. My question is, Is it cheaper or faster on board if you bring a laptop on board?

Onboard will not be faster wifi with laptop or by their computer. The only advantage of laptop is you won't have to wait inline for a computer and/or surf in your room, lounge or wherever there is wifi coverage.

Even though wifi advertises very fast speed with the latest protocals the speed of your internet is limited by the satelite uplink/downlink speed. The latency time and actual speed is very slow, closer to dialup than 3G.

Hi all, just wondering, is there wifi aavailable on any of the following ports, cozumel, belize, turks,cabo, peurto rico........i want to be able to email and avoid those high prices onboard.....thanks in advance 4 ur responses.:):confused::confused:

Ask your waiter or cabin steward, they know where the chepeast/safest cafes will be ;) They also look to avoid the highway robbery of expensive and slow shipboard internet.

• 1 month later...

We do the same hing as Tmitchell and use our own laptop to pickup free signals. In Cozumel, no problems getting a free signal from downtown (not sure about the International pier end). In Belize, I can't remember if there were Wifi centers along the pier, but with the extremely long tender, I can tell you we did not get a signal here. San Juan had multiple signals to connect to - all free and from the ship. I haven't been to Cabo yet (next spring) but I imagine it would be readily available in port and hopefully from the ship as well. Also not sure about Grand Turk.

Archived