Need Postcruise Hotel in Venice for One Night

This is our first trip to Europe and would appreciate any help we can get from all you experienced cruisers out there! We're looking for a convenient, reasonably priced hotel for a one night post cruise stay in Venice on October 5. Our flight out is at 10:00 the next morning, so should it be better to stay closer to the mainland rather than further in Venice? Our ship arrives early in the morning, so I thought it would be easier to leave luggage at the hotel and then go into Venice--that is, if the hotel has a place to store your luggage before regular check-in time! Does anyone know whether this is possible?

Also, we are doing a 3 day precruise stay in Rome. If anyone has any suggestions for a hotel there, any help would be appreciated! I have gone to tripadvisor.com and have a list going.Now I am trying to narrow it down!

I wanted to try to find decent hotels for under $200 a night, but the way the prices look I don't know whether that will be possible.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Isn't this FUN! We have been planning the reverse - 1 day pre cruise in Venice and 3 days post cruise in Rome. We've booked at Locanda Orseola (info@locandoorseolo.com) in Venice and we're really looking forward to staying there. They will book you for 1 night - some hotels in Venice will not - and they would hold your bags for you until check-in time.

You can take a taxi, or shuttle from the ship to Piazzle Roma (bus terminal - very close to the port). Store the bulk of your luggage there (I think 3 EU per piece per day). From Piazzale Roma use the ACTV public waterbus line 1, 82 or 51 to St. Mark’s Square. It leaves Piazzale Roma every 10 minutes, taking you along the Grand Canal to St. Mark's Square :) . If you book Locanda Orseola or another hotel near the square, you can easily walk to the hotel and would have only your overnight bags to schlep along. Return by ACTV waterbus in the morning to Piazzale Roma to retrieve your luggage. Take a taxi or the ATVO blue bus to the Marco Polo airport. There are luggage compartments under the bus. Since your plane leaves at 10:00 a.m., you'd want to confirm that these methods of transportation are available to you early enough in the morning. The hotel you book and communicate with would probably check that for you.

Here are some websites for Venice that I found helpful:

Lots of good Venice info and pictures: http://www.cheapvenice.com/index-venice.htm

Transportation in Venice: http://www.europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/transportation_index.htm

http://www.atvo.it/eng/airport.php?ld=index_vat.php&id=0&var=v

http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/crociere.jsp?n=0

In Rome we'll be at the Aberdeen Hotel (http://www.travel.it/roma/aberdeen/ E-mail: hotel.aberdeen@travel.it) - a 3 star but good comments at Trip Advisor and 98 Euros a night. For an extra star the Residenza Cellini (residenzacellini@tin.it) looks fantastic - as does Hotel Santa Maria (info@hotelsantamaria.info) they are of course both more expensive. These hotels all are well located.

We've found that you get the best rates by contacting the hotel directly, rather than booking through one of the on-line hotel services.

Julie

Here is another that has been highly recommended on this site and also on Trip Advisor. We are staying there in May-

La Calcina.

http://www.lacalcina.com/HTML/en/calcina_albergo_en.html

I have stay at another jewel of a hotel a year ago Pensione Accademia Maravege. Was unable to get a room there, but if you can snag one, it is lovely!

http://www.pensioneaccademia.it/index-e.html

The typical problem with Venice is logistics...

When your ship docks, you are not going to want to schlep your luggage to the mainland and then come back to Venice and then try to get back at night...

If you choose one of the hotels suggested in this thread so far, you are either going to want to store your luggage elsewhere (taking just an overnight with you) or go through the expense of a water taxi to and from the hotel with luggage, adding to the expense...

Another shot is to stay somewhere near the Piazza Roma (which has always been my preference anyway--I've stayed at the Capri and at the Carlton my last two trips)...Here are the websites:

http://www.hotelcapri.net/

http://www.venice-hotel.carltongrandcanal.com/

There is also a Sofitel in this area as well...

The advantages of staying here is that you can walk with your luggage (assuming your luggage is on wheels) from the Piazza Roma (the Piazza Roma is the only place on the island that can be reached by car, bus or taxi...

Once checked into the hotel, you can get anywhere in Venice with relative ease on foot or by vaporetti (inexpensive public bus-boat)...So you can keep all your luggage safely and conveniently with you and you can go off and spend a full day and wonderful night exploring and enjoying Venice...After a late dinner and maybe a vaporetti ride down the Grand Canal, you can return to the hotel, get an early wakeup call and arrange for an easy trip back to the airport...

Oh yeah, and yes, ALL hotels in Venice are expensive, but it is really worth it to spend as much time as you can in Venice proper...

Good luck...

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked the Hotel Capri for our one night stay in Venice. I want to thank all you wonderful cruisers who have offered very helpful advice. Since we are only going to get to stay in Venice one night, I took your advice, Bruin Steve, and booked the Hotel Capri because of the convenience factor.

I found an earlier thread somewhere from someone who booked the ship/airport Princess transfers in Venice that sounds like what I want to do. They took the transfer from the ship to the airport and checked their big luggage in the "held luggage" room at the airport overnight for a few Euros per bag, and then they just had to deal with their carryons. I had read that there was a place to check large bags at Piazza Roma, but this was the first I had read about a place at the airport. Since we have already purchased the Princess transfers, I hope this will work for us! Does anyone know anything about this and if it works pretty well?

That was our trip report and it worked out well. This summer we are doing a variation on the theme. A cruise of the Greek Islands on Princess. We are now 5 people coming from the La Calcina to the ship and I think we will haul all the luggage to the hotel and then hire a private taxi (boat!) to the ship.

Has anyone taken a private taxi boat to the ship? Is it as easy as it sounds?

I figure the taxi boat driver will know where to go.

The left luggage office is easy and safe behind a thickly locked door and bulletproof window. They scan the luggage with an xray and the man at the office window spoke English. There is an ATM right next the left luggage office. If you want to feel totally confident go the the web site for the Leonard DiVinci airport site and look around for the left luggage office. It is a new spotless airport and very convient.

Chiao

This is our 1st trip to Europe as well (I had to do ALOT of sweet talking dh). We are doing 2 days in Rome staying at the Marriott Grand Flora (at least that the plan). Venice I think we will stay at the Princess post cruise hotel San Clemente. I really was leaning towards Locanda Orseolo but it is non-smoking (dh smokes).

What hotel are you staying at in Rome?

Steve: How did you get from the cruise ship dock to Piazza Roma? Our cruise ends in Venice on Friday (Oct. 1) at noon and we disembark Saturday morning. A hotel in Piazza Roma seems convenient for getting to the airport -but I wondered about public transportation to the airport at 4:00 a.m.? I haven't booked flights yet (which I will do on my own) but it looks like most flights leave very early in the morning.

Thanks for the recommendation on hotels that will take one night reservations - I've had many 'declines' because of the 2 night minimum, or 'no rooms available' (8 months ahead!) Do you have a favorite between Capri and Carlton? They are both available as of now.

One more question...if you were only staying at the hotel for one night and leaving at 4 a.m., would you choose a hotel near the airport?

What a great source of info you are!

Susan

bunnelc--

Are you going on the Princess Rome to Venice Sept.23-Oct. 5, 2005 cruise?

We are staying at the Marcella Royal hotel in Rome for a 3 night precruise and 1 night in Venice at the Hotel Capri (Oct.5). Come join the thread on the Princess Roll-Call forum for that cruise. Right now there are only two other couples besides us that are on it. We need more cruisers! This is our first med cruise too, so we can help each other.

jan

I've booked the Sofitel - they would take a one night booking on a w/e - not allowed by many hotels in Venice (Capri included). Booked directly on the Sofitel website as rates were similar wherever I checked. Carlton would also do a one night reservation - they were just slightly high in price than Sofitel. Celebrity uses Sofitel, so felt it would be a good choice. Thanks Steve!

Here is another that has been highly recommended on this site and also on Trip Advisor. We are staying there in May-

La Calcina.

http://www.lacalcina.com/HTML/en/calcina_albergo_en.html

I have stay at another jewel of a hotel a year ago Pensione Accademia Maravege. Was unable to get a room there, but if you can snag one, it is lovely!

http://www.pensioneaccademia.it/index-e.html

I cannot say enough wonderful things about the pensione academia. We stayed there a few years ago and loved it. It is a long story, however our cruise ship left without us... a botched job by a Ta. We called the pensione from the pier because we had no place to stay that night...they sent a water taxi for us and then even though they were full, gave us a suite at the same rate we had paid for a regular room. We have been to Venice many times and have stayed at the Gritti Palace, the Bauer and the Danielli. I wouldn't hesitate, I would ONLY return to the Academia...have fun! By the way, they have a fantastic breakfast{included} that they serve in a private garden!!!

Last summer our Med trip was in June. The weather was perfect. We were on the Star from Barcelona to Venice. This time we go from Venice to Rome through the Greek Islands.

I hope everyone is generous with their reviews early this summer. We can't wait. It is in celebration of 50 trips around the sun (that is my birthday).

Archived