Sita bus

Seabee

Taking the Sita Blue line from Sorrento, it appears from the schedule that the Positano stop is the upper stop (Chissea Nuova). From here I would walk down through the Town and when ready to return to Sorrento catch the bus at lower bus station which apparently is Sponda. Is this correct? In other words from the schedules, it appears the bus from Sorrento to Amalfi stops at Chissea Nuova while the return route from Amalfi to Sorrento stops at Sponda.

If this is correct, knowing that the walk is all downhill and steep, I assume doing so as we leisurely make our way to Sponda is doable in 2 or 3 hours? how easy is it to find Sponda?

Thanks

Seebee:

Your information is correct. My husband and I used this route to Positano approx. three years ago. Yes, the walk down is steep and probably took us 20 minutes or so. Two to three hours to wander around Positano is sufficient. We did not have any time constraints so we were able to have a leisurely lunch. Since our visit was three years ago my memory on where exactly the lower stop is, is hazy but I do know that there was a bus top sign, it was easy to find and there were already other people there waiting for the Sorrento bus.

The last post answered the question so I will try not to be redundant. You already know that one aspect to visiting Positano is walking up and down hills or steps. I gather that you intend to get off at the upper stop so you can experience walking down into town which can be fun if you enjoy walking down steep slopes and steps. There is also something to say for just taking the bus to the lower stop since much of the town that is above that area is primarily residential and hotel oriented. Most (not all) of the shops and a majority of cafes are in the lower part of the town. We have sometimes parked our car along the Amalfi Drive (its free) and walked down, and it certainly beats the option of walking up :). The lower bus stop is pretty easy to find (there is only one road that winds through town) and you can always just ask any of the locals to point you in the right direction (just about everyone in Positano speaks some English).

Hank

Hmmm. We have not used this bus in many years so that is possible. However, keep in mind that there is a local bus line (Orange buses) that has a bus that is constantly making a circle route through the street of Positano and than up to the Amalfi Drive. You can easily take this bus if you need to get to the upper road (which is actually the Amalfi Drive).

Hank

You should also check out the local ferries which are fast, can't go over a cliff, and only contain people despite the mental image the word ferry gives. It gives you a different perspective of the coast and is about the same price as the bus.

We were there a year ago. The bus stopped at both Positano stops. We got off at the first stop, toured the town, and then got on again at the second stop to go to Amalfi. You can take a boat back from either Positano or Amalfi but keep in mind that when the seas are high the Positano-Sorrento boat may not run. We like to take the boat back..as the OP said, it gives you a different perspective. If you end up wanting to go to Amalfi and want to do it by bus, I would recommend stopping in Positano first. Depending on the time of year, the buses from Positano-Sorrento can be jam packed so it can be better to board in Amalfi and go straight back to Sorrento. Actually they all can so don't plan on taking the last bus or you may get stuck. If possible, when you get on the bus in Sorrento, sit on the right hand side for the best views. You can get your bus tickets from the little store inside the Circumvesuvia station right near the bus stop.

Thanks to you all. We will be there in November so not sure the Ferry schedule will work. We've already done Amalfi...so e make just take our chance in Sorrento and Positano. If we miss the ship, next stop is Rome...easy enough to catch up.

Archived